No HD Audio on xbox one?

xbox-one

Hi Guys i have an older cor 2 duo machine that im running as my plex server with windows 7. The issue is when i stream to my xbox one with MKV movie files encoded with DTS-HD there is no sound. I tried using handbrake but it compresses the files and converts them to 2 Channel from 6 channel. I than installed the plex app on the xbox one and everything is working beautifully, however i notice on my AVR that only DTS is showing on the screen and not DTS-Master or DTS-HD which is typically displayed when i play blurays in my xbox. This is the Auto setting on my receiver. Does anyone know whats going on? I can only assume that this is not in true HD format because the receiver only displays "DTS". It could be HD audio an something funny with the xbox just not sure. I have direct play enabled on my plex server FYI.

The only application I'm aware of that supports passthrough audio on the Xbox One is the Bluray player.

In the case of the Plex app, the xbox takes the audio from the Plex app and try to mix it in with all the system sounds and such, which uses the audio settings of the xbox.

So the way its setup is it not in true HD audio formats? Or is it likely in true hd that the xbox is transcoding and just passing the signals to the receiver? If thats the case than that would explain why it only says DTS on the receiver which is what the setting bit stream setting on the xbox is set to.

I can double check what it sounds like i guess to confirm if its HD audio. Typically the surround speakers sound the worst in standard non HD 5.1, if i stand by those usually i can hear it very compressed so i will double check i guess to see how it sounds.

@adamskoog said:
The only application I'm aware of that supports passthrough audio on the Xbox One is the Bluray player.

In the case of the Plex app, the xbox takes the audio from the Plex app and try to mix it in with all the system sounds and such, which uses the audio settings of the xbox.

Wait so since this is the case, would i not be better to select 5.1 Uncompressed in the xbox one settings instead of bit stream? Most of my movies watched are from plex. As it is it appears that the xbox one plex app is decoding the audio and i have no idea whether or not its HD audio or not.

If DTS-HD is what you are playing, it is likely being transcoding by your Plex server. The Plex app doesn't have the ability to decode DTS audio codecs so the server will transcode the audio to AAC. After this conversion takes place and the audio is sent to the app, the Xbox steps in and mixes it into whatever you have selected in the Xbox audio settings (which is why it shows on your receiver as DTS since that is what you have set).

@adamskoog said:
If DTS-HD is what you are playing, it is likely being transcoding by your Plex server. The Plex app doesn't have the ability to decode DTS audio codecs so the server will transcode the audio to AAC. After this conversion takes place and the audio is sent to the app, the Xbox steps in and mixes it into whatever you have selected in the Xbox audio settings (which is why it shows on your receiver as DTS since that is what you have set).

That makes sense, since there is no passthrough option outside of the blueray app i heard on the xbox. Is this true? So since plex is transcoding am i still getting uncompressed audio through my speakers? Also is there no other way make it that the xbox is transcoding instead? I have an android box that i can install the plex app to, would this be more of the same? I guess what im hoping to acheive is to get the receiver to do the audio trans coding.

As I said above, the Bluray player to my knowledge is the only app that can do passthrough.

The Plex app doesn't have access to the DTS codec to decode the audio, so it must be transcoded by the server. I don't know about the Android box, that would depend exactly what you have since they have different hardware limitations and would probably be a better question for the Android section.

You're confusing transcoding with decoding.

yeah frustrated with the android box aswell since it seems to only output 2 channel PCM. I tried using different video players streaming from plex server from my android box...ill get true HD for a few mintues than it reverts back to 2 channel with the server trans coding which lags and freezes. For now im using the xbox one which works really well and it just says PCM on the display...im pretty sure im getting true HD since the server is no longer transcoding as the xbox is decoding the signal. I would rather the receiver do the decoding but the end result should be the same anyways...just would be nice to have the receiver say DTS Master..thats an xbox issue i guess. For the record the android plex app and the kodi plex app...neither of them work for their passthrough function, MX player works but cuts out after a few minutes.