Help with xbox one plex settings

xbox-one

Hi Guys i need some help with the settings on plex on both the server and xbox (both local network with 1G ethernet). I have some MKV files that had DTS-HD audio and i would like to play HD audio on my receiver for movies. I have the settings on the xbox one set to bitstream 5.1, it works great on bluerays as it will display DTS-Master on the AVR. I installed the plex app on the xbox one and on both the plex server and xbox plex app the direct play and stream settings are selected. All the movies play fine however the receiver still displays DTS (Not DTS-Master). Are these playing in true HD? I would assume the xbox one is transcoding it either that or the plex server, i would prefer the AVR to do it but if thats not possible. If the xbox one or plex server is transcoding does that mean its not in true HD by the time it reaches my recevier?

Hi there. The Xbox One app does not support the DTS codec, and will be transcoded to a compatible audio codec.

@Moussa said:
Hi there. The Xbox One app does not support the DTS codec, and will be transcoded to a compatible audio codec.

So am i still getting Tru hd?

No. The list of supported codecs can be found at https://support.plex.tv/articles/203824396-what-media-formats-are-supported/

I checked last night and it appears that im getting all 5 channels into the receiver so the xbox bust be transcoding to ac3 which is still lossless.

@trivium91 said:
I checked last night and it appears that im getting all 5 channels into the receiver so the xbox bust be transcoding to ac3 which is still lossless.

AC3 is also a lossy encoding, but it should still be preserving the number of channels. I read in another post you said the receiver said it was reporting PCM so this is what is happening:

Server -> Converts TrueHD to AC3 -> Xbox One -> Decodes AC3 and Output's PCM -> Receiver -> Decodes the PCM and outputs audio

So in the end you're not getting the original TrueHD, but you should still be getting all of the channels.