Playlists - lack of sort options

plex-web

Very happy for the playlist function to have finally arrived, but would it be possible within playlists to have the usual movie sorting options, "Date added", "Date released", "Name", "Rating", "Resolution" and "Duration" just like in the standard movies view?

I second this request.

I don't see that list.  This is what I get on the initial playlist page.  I assume this is to sort the playlist, not the contents.  When in the playlist itself, I don't get a sort option.

![post-211675-0-98116800-1412837935.jpg|188x218](upload://hqN9JwlW3sQUmpvhjMfMhudCwuq.jpg)

I'd also like to see this feature. When I create a playlist to, say, have a Die Hard movie marathon, I'd like them in the order of release date, as opposed to by title.

I second as well

In the meantime, you can rearrange the list.  Move the mouse over the movie and on the left edge you will get 3 horizontal bars.  You can drag this up and down to rearrange the list the way you want.

I have a strange problem when creating a playlist beginning with "The" in that it doesn't adhere to the sorting rules for any of the available criteria and will remain at the top for all criteria whether sorting ascending or descending. Even if I edit the Playlist title afterwards to remove "The", the same applies. If, however, I create a new playlist without "The", all is well.

e.g.

Create a playlist titled "The Lord of the Rings" and add the 3 films to it. I can't sort correctly.

Edit the title of the playlist to "Lord of the Rings". Still can't sort correctly.

Delete the playlist and recreate from scratch just as "Lord of the Rings" (no "The"). It sorts fine.

This is the case with any playlist I create such as The Matrix, The Hunger Games, The Hobbit etc. Unsure if I'm being a total dunce or if it's a bug?

Edit: When I say I can't sort I mean the Playlists won't sort correctly, not the films within the playlists themselves (which I can sort manually as described above)

Edit 2: The same applies, for example, when I try to create a playlist for the [REC] series so maybe the bug is something to do with when a preceding non-alphanumeric character (in this case "[") and/or "The" is excluded by default for the purposes of sorting.

Just curious if this is coming any time soon?

Really, really need this. Impossible to make large music playlists otherwise. The sorting options for music are pretty abysmal too. Why can't I just tell Plex to play all alternative?

@dography said:
I have a strange problem when creating a playlist beginning with "The" in that it doesn't adhere to the sorting rules for any of the available criteria and will remain at the top for all criteria whether sorting ascending or descending. Even if I edit the Playlist title afterwards to remove "The", the same applies. If, however, I create a new playlist without "The", all is well.
Oh wow. I see the problem. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this except you. And I wasn't following along on this thread and did not notice this question until now. Thank you. I'll let the devs know.

@MovieFan.Plex said:
Oh wow. I see the problem. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this except you. And I wasn't following along on this thread and did not notice this question until now. Thank you. I'll let the devs know.

There was another recently. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/181727/sort-order-of-playlists-not-items

@beckfield said:
There was another recently. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/181727/sort-order-of-playlists-not-items
Replied. Thank you.

BTW just like with "The" in the playlist title, same case for lists which include special characters from foreign languages like French - e.g. Cinèma Français is right on top of my pile. Anyhow, having dedicated sorting choices for lists and their content alike would be highly appreciated while solving that issue at the same time.

Plus one...

Mind boggling that this isn't something that is supported in a playlist. Now i just have hundreds of random files in there. Seriously, do you guys even USE plex when you make it?

Plus 10000000+

yes yes yes I need this. I have duplicates in my playlist, which it is impossible to remove them unless I can sort by name. PAAALEASSEEEEEE add this?

Why this isn't already a feature is beyond me, +1

I've just added all the Arrowverse TV Shows into a smart playlist so that I can watch them in broadcast order and the crossovers will make more sense. I have managed to do it by organising them in the Shows window and then making the playlist, however it would of made more sense to add the shows and then used sort by in the playlist window.

I would love to see this feature as well!

Count my vote for this !

+1. about three hours into setting up my server for real and now abandoning until this feature is added. great product overall, just needs some shine here and there. would also love to be able to select multiple in screens other than 'Recently Added' for Movies, but it could be i just haven't found the right screen yet. thanks.