plex doesn't get updated info from tvdb.com

server-windows

sometimes when i add a tv show, i see the metadata and it is not correct. so then i go to tvdb.com, where i have an account, and i change the title of the show to what it should be. but when i say to plex to update the metadata or when i remove the folder, empty the bin, and then return the folder, it will Always show the old, wrong, metadata. does someone have any idea how i can make plex load the new metadat. perhaps manually removing the old metadata from plex. but i don't know how???

This is not really an answer but I seem to remember that Plex uses a cached version of TheTVDB rather than the actual site. This causes a delay (maybe significant) to the data agreeing therefore there can be differences in the data. I do not know how to tell TheTVDB to sync the data or how to tell them that there is a disagreement or even how to examine the cached site directly or even if it is possible to do so.

because if i already have a show but i haven’t added it to plex yet, i can alter things on tvdb and then plex gets the new good info from the site. so it uses the site realtime but only with previously added shows it uses a sort of cache. but still how do i tell plex to update of empty the cache

Plex uses their own TVDB Proxy Server.
Plex does NOT update this Proxy Server every day.
Sometimes older data that’s missing or wrong - if the Proxy Server has been updated - A Plex Dance is necessary to slap Plex in the mouth, get it to dump it’s bogus bundle and load up a new one - a thing Plex has been unable, or unwilling, to fix for about 40 years now (perhaps a slight exaggeration):

The Plex Dance®:

1. remove show/movie from library
  2. rescan library files
  3. empty trash
  4. clean bundles
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200392106-Library-Actions <— scan library files, empty trash, clean bundles
  5. bring names and structures into compliance/Move LMA/etc
  6. replace corrected show/movie into library
  7. rescan library files

All Steps. In Order. No Shortcuts.

IF the Proxy Server has been updated and there is new and correct info there - a Plex Dance will get it. If you’re still getting the same old and wrong info:

1. you’re not doing the Plex Dance correctly
    or

2. The Proxy Server hasn’t been updated

3. you can do something about, 2) you can’t.

thnx for your comment. havent been online on the forum for a while so i just read it. i am going to try it now and am very excited to see if this finally solves my problem. but i dont agree with you on one thing… you say plex never updates it proxy server. but i now know about the problem i described here above so when i now want to add a show i first check tvdb and add or change anything i want and if i then immediately add the show the new data i just added will appear in the metadata. so i think its just a case of plex downloading the metadata and then continuing to retrieve the same old data from its cache.

just tried it but same result and what strikes me is that plex still knows which episodes i already saw and which i didnt see. so clearly some data remained in plex. is there not a way to manually remove this data

@“Edwin Welling” said:
thnx for your comment. havent been online on the forum for a while so i just read it. i am going to try it now and am very excited to see if this finally solves my problem. but i dont agree with you on one thing… you say plex never updates it proxy server. but i now know about the problem i described here above so when i now want to add a show i first check tvdb and add or change anything i want and if i then immediately add the show the new data i just added will appear in the metadata. so i think its just a case of plex downloading the metadata and then continuing to retrieve the same old data from its cache.

That’s a pretty good trick - 'cause that ain’t how it works - unless you know something we don’t and if you do I need you to explain it - so I and millions of other people (slight exaggeration perhaps) can start bypassing Plex’s Goofy TVDB Proxy Server.

Also - time for you to provide some log files - so we can see wazzup…
https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250417-plex-media-server-log-files/
drag zip file to message window and drop it.