Plex Freezeing/Crashing every 20-30 mins

server-docker

Hi all,

I am running ESXi 6.7 and an Ubuntu machine to host my docker then obviously my plex container is installed on that. I have my plex config files on my synology nas as well as all my media. They are mounted with NFS.

I been battling this problem for the last week i have no clue what the issue could be... basically my plex container will randomly freeze/crash and will either comeback but run slow as hell or never come back. TO resolve the problem i have to restart the plex container.. I have tried using hyper-v instead of ESXi, Re pulling the plex docker image and creating new config files, pinging both my NAS and my server to ensure there is no drop outs and changing the machine in which i am hosting ESXi/Hyper-v... I have not a clue in the world what it could be..

here is my logs. They were taken just after the last freeze/crash

I have my plex config files on my synology nas as well as all my media. They are mounted with NFS.

This is likely the entirety of your problem. The config files contain a sqlite database, and without the proper file locking support, sqlite databases can become corrupt (and lead to freezing of the server). I have tried many combinations of network mounted FSs for the config dir and been unsuccessful in them all (many with NFS, including trying out the local_lock options).

My suggestion is to put the config dir on a local filesystem to the Ubuntu machine. If it must be on the NAS, perhaps an NFS share to ESXi and a vmdk on that which is presented to the Ubuntu machine as a disk, and put the config dir on that.

Hey mate,

i did read about that... I'll remake fresh config files directly on the ubuntu machine and see how i go. I liked have them stored on the NAS just for ease of use for backups etc... The wifey likes knowing where she is up to in certain TV shows lol I'll do it now and update this thread tomorrow to let you guys know how i went.

EDIT: I assume all the watched data is saved in the database?

Yep the watched data is here
com.plexapp.plugins.library.db

You can copy the config directory instead of starting afresh and thus preserve your watched status along with all the metadata.

@gbooker02 said:
You can copy the config directory instead of starting afresh and thus preserve your watched status along with all the metadata.

I tried copying the config to a USB was gonna take too long... i'm inpatient. haha

@gbooker02 said:

Is the "config directory" a ubuntu thing?
I don't see it on synology, qnap or win10 PMS folders!

The OP referred to the config files and the docker image wants these within the /config directory inside the container. Essentially it's what contains the Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server directory.

@spikemixture said:
Yep the watched data is here
com.plexapp.plugins.library.db

My PMS folder last time I looked has 1.4 million files!!

If you drop in the db file above you keep your watched details.
But all the metadata and thumbnails, etc must be downloaded again.