Plex ignoring GDPR which comes into force on 25th May 2018

Any update from Plex about compliance with this, which is only a couple of months away?

Will Plex be compliant on the 25th May 2018?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

"The proposed new EU data protection regime extends the scope of the EU data protection law to all foreign companies processing data of EU residents. It provides for a harmonisation of the data protection regulations throughout the EU, thereby making it easier for non-European companies to comply with these regulations; however, this comes at the cost of a strict data protection compliance regime with severe penalties of up to 4% of worldwide turnover."

We are working towards being in compliance when it goes into effect. Nothing else to share at this time.

It would be nice to get an update by the 1st May, as regards Plex compliance.

Don’t want it to go down to the wire in terms of compliance.

Plex could be reported for potentially not being compliant on the 25th, due to lack of response on compliance from Plex, which I hope will not happen, as it would be a very large fine if Plex is not compliant with GDPR!

Tap tap… hello? Is any more info nearby?
Time is getting closer

GDPR goes into effect in just over one month’s time.

I have noticed a couple of areas in which Plex’s current Privacy Policy, https://www.plex.tv/about/privacy-legal/, is currently not in compliance with GDPR.

Does Plex have an eta on when these will be resolved and will Plex be fully in compliance with GDPR?

This needs to be resolved by the 24th May 2018, as the enforcement starts on the next day.

@Trotter999 said:
Does Plex have an eta on when these will be resolved and will Plex be fully in compliance with GDPR?

Does it matter? ETA 05/24/2018

This needs to be resolved by the 24th May 2018, as the enforcement starts on the next day.
Do you think you need to tell them this.

@NewPlaza said:
Do you think you need to tell them this.

Yes, I do think I need to tell them this, Plex may think that they are fully GDPR compliant at the moment, but they need to prove so by 24/05/2018.

The current Plex Privacy Policy has a couple of issues with GDPR and is possibly not compliant with GDPR, but it needs to be, by the 24th May 2018.

Oooooo… they must be quaking in their boots.

Doing all that work must be the reason they can’t make Exo-Skeleton 2 work on any Android Device, deal with all those un-dealt with Feature Requests or fix 800 outstanding bugs that are old enough to draw social security.

@JuiceWSA said:
Oooooo… they must be quaking in their boots.

Doing all that work must be the reason they can’t make Exo-Skeleton 2 work on any Android Device, deal with all those un-dealt with Feature Requests or fix 800 outstanding bugs that are old enough to draw social security.

I would love them to fix all these issues as well

But they can be fined by the EU, if Plex are not GDRP compliant, 4% of World Wide turnover.

@Trotter999 said:
Yes, I do think I need to tell them this, Plex may think that they are fully GDPR compliant at the moment, but they need to prove so by 24/05/2018.

Plex may think that they are fully GDPR compliant as much as you think you need to tell them… There is an agency for this and I’m sure they will thoroughly check for compliance.

They own you nothing, no explanation, no time table, no ETA, squat. When they are ready to give that information, they will. YOU can’t do sht about it nor can you do sht to them(aside from discontinuing the use of their products and services) until that day, so why harass them. Why is it so important to you anyway, did you make a bet with a friend and don’t want to lose? What will you have to do? Run in the streets naked or something?

@NewPlaza said:
Out of interest @NewPlaza are you living in an EU country that can take advantage of the GDPR legislation?

@Trotter999 said:

@NewPlaza said:
Out of interest @NewPlaza are you living in an EU country that can take advantage of the GDPR legislation?

LOL! No. I’m from a location that believes we are all fu*ked! The illusion we have privacy is strong. It’s almost as powerful as religion

I don’t know about Plaza, but I live in WV where we thumb our nose at ALL authoriti.

If Plex has any fines to pay - there’s a never ending shaft down a data mine nearby.

lol

I mean, it goes right back to this little question. How do you keep a secret among 3 friends?

GDPR, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation, is in my opinion, a very good first start on Privacy, it does apply to Plex, as they have the customer’s in the EU, including me.

Would love to also see the same level of privacy legislation in the US?

@Trotter999 said:
GDPR, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation, is in my opinion, a very good first start on Privacy, it does apply to Plex, as they have the customer’s in the EU.

Would love to also see the same level of privacy legislation in the US.

Oh, I’m not going to argue that point. It may just be a good start. BUT I sure in the hell know this in time will be superseded because of some bullsh*t war/terror attack that the governments will have to make a change to it. Happens every time.

GDPR is just a set of words. Any company’s privacy policy is just a set of words. Neither has any real meaning in the current world.

We can either bask in the illusion of privacy or accept that, if we interact with the world at all, we have no real privacy.

The fact is that all documents like GDPR do is make lawyers a BUNCH of money. There is no real privacy protection for individuals we are all at the mercy of all the companies that glean data from the internet and many other sources.

People need to take their own measures to protect their privacy and not rely on the dubious power of words to protect them.

Personally I don’t care if Plex is in compliance with GDPR and I do not really care what their privacy policy says. It is only important to me that their product works. I take measures to limit what any company can find about me but I accept that the measures I take are quite imperfect and companies know a LOT more about me than I would like. I just believe that I am not important enough to warrant companies taking action that would directly injure me.

Well said @Elijah_Baley

@NewPlaza said:
I mean, it goes right back to this little question. How do you keep a secret among 3 friends?

The best way to keep a secret is to tell no one.
The second best way is to tell one other person.
There is no third best way.

I “think” I first heard that on NCIS said by Abby Sciuto (Pauley Perrette)