Plex media server AND plex media player on Unraid

server-unraid

Hi there

I currently have 1 server running ESXI, 1 synology NAS and 1 computer running windows with plex media server and plex media player connected to my TV

I would really like to shrink this down to 1 server running unraid

So my question is ...

Is it possible to run both Plex Server AND Plex Media Player on Unraid and connect it to my Tv ?

Not sure what you mean by "unraid" The term doesn't seem to apply to your situation. Maybe you can provide an example of what you mean?

@steinibo said:
Hi there

I currently have 1 server running ESXI, 1 synology NAS and 1 computer running windows with plex media server and plex media player connected to my TV

So my question is ...

Is it possible to run both Plex Server AND Plex Media Player on Unraid and connect it to my Tv ?

Short answer is... it should be possible (I think). Don't expect it to be easy or completely documented somewhere though. You're going to need to figure out how to pass your GPU through to your PMP VM (Windows/Linux/whatever) hosted on unRAID.

I think it would be a lot less of a headache to run PMS on unRAID or ESXi and have a Roku/aTV/rPi/something else to handle player duty at the TV.

I currently have an Ubuntu VM on ESXi running PMS, all my Movies/TV are on a physical unRAID box and I have a variety of Apple/Roku/Chromecast/PMP/etc clients at my various TVs. I personally don't like running other services on top of my file storage due to unpleasant experiences in the past (though it was back on unRAID v5) where a plug-in crashed my storage array. I'm sure things are better, but I like having my server, storage and clients all segmented like this.

Update: I love it when you google for something, and you find a thread you posted in :)

lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43798.0

yeah.. I think I'll just keep the PMS and PMP on a separate computer like I have it today

Just build a new UnRaid server to host VM's and Storage

@steinibo said:
Hi there

So my question is ...

Yes is it possible. I am running the exact scenario above. I have Plex Server as a Docker and PMP embedded running as a VM on the unraid box. I pass through the Graphics card (and Audio) into the VM on Unraid. The VM outputs directly to my Home Theater AV & Projector. Works like a charm. The process to get GPU passthrough to the PMP/embedded VM can be a challenge and it's a bit of a coin toss if it will work or not.

You will need a CPU/MB Bios supporting Intel Virtualization tech & IO. I had to upgrade my I-7 4770K to a 4790K to support I/O virtualiization pass through.

Is it possible to do embedded OpenPHT as a VM on UNRAID?

I've downloaded the Plex Embedded Image. How do you set that up as a VM? Custom VM?

@harihoudini said:

@steinibo said:
Hi there

So my question is ...

Yes is it possible. I am running the exact scenario above. I have Plex Server as a Docker and PMP embedded running as a VM on the unraid box. I pass through the Graphics card (and Audio) into the VM on Unraid. The VM outputs directly to my Home Theater AV & Projector. Works like a charm. The process to get GPU passthrough to the PMP/embedded VM can be a challenge and it's a bit of a coin toss if it will work or not.

You will need a CPU/MB Bios supporting Intel Virtualization tech & IO. I had to upgrade my I-7 4770K to a 4790K to support I/O virtualiization pass through.