Plex won't see my mounted folder contents

Hello,

I will try to give you the most details I can. First of all, I have an Ubuntu 18.04 VPS Storage with a hosting company, where I have all my media files stored on a folder called /Vault. I also have at home a local PC with Ubuntu 18.04 installed and I’ve created a folder also called /Vault_Local.

What I did so far, is to mount the VPS folder /Vault to my local PC folder /Vault_Local, using sshfs command and everything looks good so far, even in my local PC when I run the ls command, I can see all the contents of my remote /Vault folder and doing also the df command, I can see that the folder is mounted properly, the only thing here is that when I reboot it doesn’t keep the folder mounted but this is another story.

After doing the mounting and everything is ok, I go to my browser and hit the local PC IP address to access Plex and when I try to add a Library I can not see the local folder I’ve mounted on the drop down list, and sometimes my local PC hangs and have to reboot and do the process again.

The main issue I have is that I can not see the mounted folder to add a new library and stream all my content stored remotely into my local PC PMS.

Hope someone can provide me a tutorial or guide me on what am I doing wrong.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Best regards.

This is very simple (you’ll do a facepalm when you see it)

  1. Before mounting, is the directory permission 755 ?
  2. After mounting, are all the directory permissions minimally for all directories 755 ?
  3. After mounting, are all the file permissions minimally 644 ?

Well, I think they are because I also have another remote VPS where I use Plex for remote access, and there I’m able to see the folders. The issue happens only on the local server i’m trying to configure.

If you can tell me how to check if they have those attributes, will help me a lot.

Thanks.

the command ls -la will show you

Here’s how to read it.

drwxrwxrwx-
||||||||||+-- Special purpose tag which has letter codes
|||||||||+--- Everyone can execute this file (script/program) / traverse this directory
||||||||+---- Everyone can write to this file / create-delete entries in this directory
|||||||+----- Everyone can read this file / read the list of names in this directory
||||||+------ The members of the group can execute this file (script/program) / traverse this directory
|||||+------- The members of the group can write to this file / create-delete entries in this directory
||||+-------- The members of the group can read this file / read the list of names in this directory
|||+--------- The owner can execute this file (script/program) / traverse this directory
||+---------- The owner can write to thie file / create-delete entries in this directory / change file permissions
|------------ The owner can read this file / read the list of names in this directory
+------------ "-" if a file, "d" if a directory, "l" if a symbolic link.

Thanks a lot for the information, it was very helpful and I finally could make that Plex show the content from the folder I’ve mounted.

The issue I have right now is that when I mount the folder and I reboot the local PC, the folder doesn’t mount and also it hangs during start-up.

I’m using this command to mount the folder:

sshfs -o allow_other username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/remote_folder /Local_PC_Folder -p ssh_port

And for the automount command, I found these 2:

#username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/remote_folder /Local_PC_Folder fuse.sshfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,_netdev,follow_symlinks,identityfile=/home/username/.ssh/id_rsa,allow_other,default_permissions,reconnect 0 0

#sshfs#username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/remote_folder /Local_PC_Folder fuse auto,_netdev,port=22,user,allow_other,noatime,follow_symlinks,IdentityFile=/home/username/.ssh/id_rsa,reconnect 0 0

Hope you can provide me any guidance on my last issue.

Thanks.

Hey,

since a couple of days, my sshfs-mount did much trouble. (maybe an plex-update? still working on it)
But before that issues, i had a very stable mount using this command:

sshfs -o Compression=no -o ro -o reconnect,ServerAliveInterval=15,ServerAliveCountMax=3 -o IdentityFile=/home/user/.ssh/id_rsa -o allow_other -p 22222 user@example.dyndns.net:. /home/user/ds_mount

Maybe kind of fix for you.
Regards
Zack

PS: i use an @reboot cronjob for this