PlexBMC is a collection of addons which integrates an XBMC frontend with a Plex Media Server backend. The project was started by the developer hippojay, and continued by pecinko, wickning1, and magnesium.
- XBMC Frodo or Gotham. (Gotham preferred.)
- Plex Media Server (recent version)
- (For PleXBMC Helper) HTTP Server enabled in XBMC (Settings > Services > Webserver > Allow control of XBMC via HTTP)
If you had PleXBMC installed previously, you should completely uninstall it (and the repo, if you had it) and restart XBMC before setting it up this way! All future updates will come about in the following manner.
PlexBMC can be installed in one of two ways: via the repository or manually.
- Download the PlexBMC add-on repository from here:
- Install this into XBMC (System > Add-ons > Install from zip file).
- Go to Add-ons > Get Add-ons > PlexBMC Add-ons for XBMC
- PlexBMC is a set of two add-ons.
- PlexBMC provides the main access to content. Enable it in Video, Music, or Picture (you only need to enable in one location). (This is required.)
- PlexBMC Helper allows you to control XBMC from a Plex remote (such as on mobile device or the web). Essentially it causes PlexBMC to appear just like a Plex Home Theater instance. Also required for "Now Playing" support. (This is optional, but highly recommended.)
- Once the add-ons are enabled, you can update to new releases simply by updating your add-ons within XBMC.
Releases of PleXBMC and PleXBMC Helper are available on github, at these links:
- https://github.com/hippojay/plugin.video.plexbmc/releases (PleXBMC / Latest stable = v3.4.5)
- https://github.com/hippojay/script.plexbmc.helper/releases (PleXBMC Helper / Latest stable = v3.4.1 )
Download the zip of the version you'd like to install, and "install from zip file" in XBMC. Installation this way won't allow for automatic updates.
PleXBMC can work with any skin. It will appear as a video add-on in your skin menu. However, we recommend using a PleXBMC compatible skin for complete integration. Currently the best supported PleXBMC-enabled skin is Amber. This can be installed from the standard xbmc.org repository. Once installed, select "Go PLEX" from the Home Screen (scroll to Settings, select "Go PLEX").
If you encounter problems with PleXBMC, please help us help you by doing the following.
- Go to Settings > System > Debugging, and tick the "Enable debug logging" setting.
- Go to PleXBMC settings, and tick "Enable debug output to log."
- Restart XBMC
- Reproduce the steps you took to cause the crash/error.
- Submit the log file in one of the following ways:
- Follow the steps at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Easy and post the link in a forum message.
- Manually find the debug log file at the location specified in http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Advanced#Location, and paste it at xbmclogs.com, then give us the link.
- Manually find the debug log file and attach it to a post here. (Least preferred option).
- PLEASE DO NOT copy and paste the log file to a post. That just makes the thread impossible to read. If you are tech savvy and can isolate the bug and post the dozen or so lines of interest, you can paste it directly inside of a code block, but it's best to just upload everything.
- Help solve the bug! If you are knowledgable of Python/XBMC Add-ons, feel free to try and fix the bugs! Fork the add-on repositories at the github links above and start coding!