PMS service exiting with code=exited, status=127

server-raspberry-pi

Today I ran apt-get upgrade to update my Plex media server.

The update ran as usual but once it finished my Plex service wouldn't start. After doing some digging and running:

journalctl -xe

I found the possible error

/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_locale.so.1.59.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
plexmediaserver.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=127/n/a

I checked and the file exists and has permissions to be executed.

I run raspbian jessie and have a symlink at /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server to an external disk. Though that never gave me troubles.

@putoguiri said:
I run raspbian jessie and have a symlink at /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server to an external disk. Though that never gave me troubles.

Why? I can understand if someone moves the Library dir /var/lib/plexmediaserver, but why /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server? And why the executable? That directory /usr/lib/plexmediaserver only contains about 100MB. Please leave it as it is without any symlink. Just remove that symlink and reinstall my package.

@uglymagoo said:

@putoguiri said:

Why? I can understand if someone moves the Library dir /var/lib/plexmediaserver, but why /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server? And why the executable? That directory /usr/lib/plexmediaserver only contains about 100MB. Please leave it as it is without any symlink. Just remove that symlink and reinstall my package.

Sorry, I have a symlink in /var/lib/plexmediaserver not /usr/lib/plexmediaserver. As you state it wouldn’t make a lot of sense.

Did you by any chance create an override.conf file or edit the service file?

Is there enough free space on your sd card left? Please just try to reinstall Plex with sudo apt-get install --reinstall plexmediaserver-installer.

No, I have no override.conf.

I already tried reinstalling plexmediaserver with apt-get install --reinstall plexmediaserver with no results. Also, rebooting did not change anything.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall plexmediaserver-installer throws:

`rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_schematron_skeleton_for_xslt1.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_schematron_message.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_abstract_expand.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_dsdl_include.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_svrl_for_xslt1.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/readme.txt’: Structure needs cleaning

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/plexmediaserver-installer_1.13.0.5023-31d3c0c65-1_armhf.deb (–unpack):

subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/plexmediaserver-installer_1.13.0.5023-31d3c0c65-1_armhf.deb

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)`

@uglymagoo said:
Did you by any chance create an override.conf file or edit the service file?

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/286395/customizing-your-plex-configuration

Is there enough free space on your sd card left? Please just try to reinstall Plex with sudo apt-get install --reinstall plexmediaserver-installer.

No, I have no customizations to the service.

Yersterday I tried running apt-get install --reinstall plexmediaserver with no results. A reboot did not help either.

After running apt-get install --reinstall plexmediaserver-installer it throws:

`rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_schematron_skeleton_for_xslt1.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_schematron_message.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_abstract_expand.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_dsdl_include.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/iso_svrl_for_xslt1.xsl’: Structure needs cleaning

rm: cannot remove ‘/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-31d3c0c65/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/readme.txt’: Structure needs cleaning

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/plexmediaserver-installer_1.13.0.5023-31d3c0c65-1_armhf.deb (–unpack):

subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

Errors were encountered while processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/plexmediaserver-installer_1.13.0.5023-31d3c0c65-1_armhf.deb

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)`

Filesystem corruption. Plex not working is just a symptom. To fix your filesystem see e.g.:

@uglymagoo said:
Filesystem corruption. Plex not working is just a symptom. To fix your filesystem see e.g.:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/330742/cannot-remove-file-structure-needs-cleaning

Thank, I will post an update after fixing the filesystem.

Yes, It was a filesystem corruption issue. It’s fixed for now but I’m afraid that this SD card is dying on me.

Thank you for your help!