Raspberry Pi 3: Enough for direct-play and DVR usage?

server-raspberry-pi

The use case of my Plex server is pretty limited: Almost 99% of my video library can be played directly without any transcoding on the one or two Plex clients I use. Also, I have only a single user accessing the Plex server at the same time.

Would a Raspberry Pi 3 be powerful enough to act as a DVR- and directly-play-only Plex server in that case?

Just to clarify - do you mean just to play files and not use it as a server?

I use mine just to play and have no issues

Sorry for being imprecise in my wording.

I was looking into running a Plex server on a Raspberry Pi 3 or Odroid C2. I was just saying that the server would not need to transcode hardly any of my media and would be able to direct-play to the two clients I have.

@TOMillr said:
Sorry for being imprecise in my wording.

I was looking into running a Plex server on a Raspberry Pi 3 or Odroid C2. I was just saying that the server would not need to transcode hardly any of my media and would be able to direct-play to the two clients I have.

You will not experience any problems with Direct Play or Direct Stream. And also disable transcoding in the DVR settings.

I have been using for nearly a year now a Rapsberry PI 3 with Dietpi and PMS installed on it. I use a sd cat10 64Gb card. The media is stored to a network NAS. I have setuped all the clients to direct play (samsung Tv, several windows clients using OpenPHT, a couple of MacOSX clients using OpenPHT and 2 rasplex clients) most of the evenings the server has 2 and even 3 simultaneous clients streaming direct play.

I haven't encounter any performance problems. In fact I was very skeptical at the beggining, but today I'm impressed by how well the raspberry is able to work as a PMServer.

Still, you need to keep in mind several factors:
- DietPi is an optimized OS for raspberryPi, I have furthermore disabled bluetooth and wifi functions
- the Sd card I use is a performance one, not a cheapo one (it makes a difference, originally I used a cheapo one)
- Nothing else runs on the Pi, only the PMS, there isn't any graphical interface nor any module/program (besides ssh and PMS)
- I don't do any transcoding of any file, everything is direct play