Support for having the Windows Universal App run on Xbox One

xbox-one

#1

Fellow Xbox One owners, some of you may have noticed that there is a new Windows Universal App that Plex has released. However, this app does not run on Xbox One. Might be a good idea to hit up this fellows post https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/232929/so-uwp-app-is-not-really-uwp#latest

and like it so the devs understand Xbox One owners desire to get a modern, speedy app vs the slow one we have now.


#2

I second the motion.


#3

Same here :-)


#4

Agreed current one is slow. I do however wonder if a UWP is really going to speed up the app. I think the issue is how the Xbox limits apps to focus on gaming though I will say the Netflix app has a lot better performance than the Plex app.


#5

VLC now has a UWP app that is available on Xbox One. It can play DTS audio natively, no need to transcode! it can connect to your plex server, or just browse SMB shares. the interface is nowhere near as nice as the plex app, but its a good proof of concept for DTS decoding.

Could the plex app use the VLC player renderers instead of the xbox one media player renderers and gain DTS ?

vlc doesn't have subtitle support yet, but it could happen!


#6

Is the Windows 10 Plex beta app for plex plus only? I used to have this before when it was first in beta. I just noticed it show up in my ready to install on xbox but it now says I need a beta invite to run it. Or do I need to sign up for a different beta/by invited some how again?


#7

i have also installed the beta on my xbox. i thought i was on the beta for WUA Plex, so i guess xbox is a different beta signup? does anyone know how to sign up to the Xbox WUA Beta???


#8

Pretty sure they are running the beta internally right now...

EDIT: Hopefully xbox one gets regular bitstreaming so plex can eventually be pretty feature similar to pmp (missing of course 24hz mode)


#9

So we're hoping the same win 10 app will appear on Xbox one?

Is it possible to test this at the moment or are we just gonna have to sit tight and wait?


#10

@Emmmo said:
So we're hoping the same win 10 app will appear on Xbox one?

Is it possible to test this at the moment or are we just gonna have to sit tight and wait?

Hoping and waiting is all we have, Plex is notorious for their lack of communication on these things.


#11

The UWP app on Xbox One S would be ideal


#12

Apparently UWP does not support the Xbox Snap feature. As much as I'd like to see background audio in plex, I'd hate to lose the snap feature.

Source: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/e5abcbdc-3c1f-4a9b-928d-41d8583c9445/xbox-and-snap-mode?forum=wpdevelop


#13

Any update on this topic? I really hope this app is coming for Christmas... would be an awesome gift!


#14

@obveron said:
Apparently UWP does not support the Xbox Snap feature. As much as I'd like to see background audio in plex, I'd hate to lose the snap feature.

Source: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/e5abcbdc-3c1f-4a9b-928d-41d8583c9445/xbox-and-snap-mode?forum=wpdevelop

They are getting rid of snap anyhow, and it looks like it'll replaced by an overlay feature, which would actually be so much better =)


#15

@bPlaTyPuS said:
Any update on this topic? I really hope this app is coming for Christmas... would be an awesome gift!

Unfortunately, no. At this time nothing had been passed down from the developers.


#16

it's pretty strange because as the windows app is now available... apart of optimization for XBOX there should be nothing more to do.

Really hope we get this app very soon!


#17

@kevvybear said:

@obveron said:
Apparently UWP does not support the Xbox Snap feature. As much as I'd like to see background audio in plex, I'd hate to lose the snap feature.

Source: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/e5abcbdc-3c1f-4a9b-928d-41d8583c9445/xbox-and-snap-mode?forum=wpdevelop

They are getting rid of snap anyhow, and it looks like it'll replaced by an overlay feature, which would actually be so much better =)

I'd love a source on this info. I've seen nothing about an overlay feature accessible to devs in the UWP or SDK documentation. What I have seen is a total lack of snap.


#18

http://www.windowscentral.com/future-xbox-dashboard-new-guide-menu

There is your source.

Not official but the sources from windowscentral are correct 99,9% of the time :-)


#19

I really don't care of the snap feature... it's way more important to have support of x265 & subtitles! I have more and more videos @x265 which I cannot play with the current plex and this is a shame.

I don't know if this is possible by why not let the old app in the store and publish the new one alongside. Old one would not have any further support (too expansive to maintain 2 apps)


#20

@bPlaTyPuS said:

Old one would not have any further support

So nothing would change then?