Why can't Plex for Mac detect my iPhone 8's Plex app?

My Plex for Mac can recognize the Plex app on my iPhone 6s and the Plexamp app on my iPhone 8, but it cannot recognize the Plex app on my iPhone 8. Why is this happening?

Additionally, Plex for Mac can identify the device name of my iPhone 6s and the device name for Plexamp on my iPhone 8, but it cannot identify the device name for the Plex app on my iPhone 8. Why is this?

Have you enabled the Advertise as Player option in the Plex app’s settings on your iPhone 8?

Yes, I have enabled it.

I disabled “Advertise as Player” and then re-enabled it. Plex for Mac found my iPhone 8, but it didn’t recognize my device name; it identified it as “iPhone” instead of “x1ao4’s iPhone 8”.

And it seems like neither of my two iPhones can find Plex for Mac (the Plex app on other devices).

IIRC that’s an iOS limitation (apps can no longer access the device name → data protection).

From what I remember the web app and the regular desktop apps no longer act as remote players.

Alright, I understand now. Plexamp allows custom device names, so that name was one I customized myself, not retrieved from the device. I forgot about that. Thanks.

It’s likely that the change is due to the privacy policy changes in the iOS system. So, older iOS systems allowed apps to access device names, while newer systems don’t permit it anymore.