Why is PS4 media player 10-20 times faster than Plex media player on the PS4?

playstation

Recently I have switched from the Plex media player to the PS4 media player on the PS4. The main reason is that the PS4 media player is 10-20 times faster to start playing/fast forward/reverse for the same content coming from the Plex Media Server. Indeed, if I press 'skip 30 seconds' or 'go back 10 seconds' using the Plex media player, I sometimes have to wait 10+ seconds before it starts playing again. But on the PS4 media player, playing the exact same content, it starts playing right away (less than one second).
I wish there was a setting to solve this.

because Sony likes there apps to have more permissions to use all the resources and codecs of the device.

That is why it can’t play a simple mp3 and server needs to transcode to m4a

if there is transcoding, which there likely is, skipping ahead means it need to start a new transcoding session at the point you jumped to which can take a moment to start up on your server then be sent to player

@BigWheel said:
because Sony likes there apps to have more permissions to use all the resources and codecs of the device.

That is why it can’t play a simple mp3 and server needs to transcode to m4a

if there is transcoding, which there likely is, skipping ahead means it need to start a new transcoding session at the point you jumped to which can take a moment to start up on your server then be sent to player

I transcode to .mp4 using ffmpeg (-vcodec libx264 and aac). Is there another setting that would help?

I am guessing there must be some codecs that are available to both plex and ps4 media player. But I am not sure how to determine that.

Check what x264 level you’re transcoding to, by default I think the PS4 Plex client only goes up to level 4.0 iirc, above that it’ll transcode. You can check in the PS4 client’s settings menu and force it to allow higher x264 levels, but the chances of hitting unsupported features in videos increase.

4.1 for PS4 https://support.plex.tv/articles/204377253-what-media-formats-are-supported/

Thanks to all! :slight_smile:
It is much better now with those settings in ffmpeg:
-vcodec libx264 -profile:v high -level:v 4.1