Xbox One S as Plex Media Server

xbox-one

Hi All.

I haven't been able to find this anywhere but is it possible to use your xbox one s as a media server for the whole home?. For transcoding and everything?

Regards.
9com.

That is currently not an option. Also due to the restrictions that Microsoft puts on apps, it would be extremely unlikely to allow a server type application on the Xbox One itself.

@9com said:
Hi All.

I haven't been able to find this anywhere but is it possible to use your xbox one s as a media server for the whole home?. For transcoding and everything?

Regards.
9com.

The Nvidia shield consol does this, runs both the client and server. I am hoping one day the Xbox one also does so. I would love to be able to avoid any network streaming by having external hard drives plugged into a server/client combination. This basically gives you the playback performance you get running Plex home theatre on the same PC as a server.

Alright, thank you for the response. I was considering the shield but I have an Xbox One already so figured that might be the cheaper alternative to use that as a Media Server, but sadly you can't :(.

It would be nice, but console operating systems are too locked down and publishing apps for them comes with too many restrictions for this to likely ever be possible with any of the console or player products.

The shield is the first product of it's kind to be able to host the server. It may be possible that other android devices in the future could also do this but I wouldn't ever expect any major consoles (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo) or content players (AppleTV, Roku, Amazon Fire, Chromecast) to be able to do this.

Although I've long argued that MS should have opened up the "apps" VM on the Xbox One to run standard windows apps and just keep that VM silo'd from the "games" VM to prevent cheating and XBL problems, etc.

It would be sweet for the Xbox platform to become a truly hybridized PC/console platform. Only then would I expect it to be able to do this. But I wouldn't bet that this will happen any time soon (it'd certainly make Scorpio far more interesting, though).

would there be a way if movies on a usb drive plugged into xbox it will play all formats, mkv etc but maybe a dlna way so that other hardware can see the usb drive also?

@Marc_74 said:
would there be a way if movies on a usb drive plugged into xbox it will play all formats, mkv etc but maybe a dlna way so that other hardware can see the usb drive also?

No. Not possible. It's already been explained to you there is not enough power / too many restrictions for this to happen.

I have both the NVidia Shield (as server and client) and an XBox One at two different locations works pretty well and now supports two TVs :smile: !