Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Raspberry Pi PMS Server, Wireless Router and Access Point

NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,732Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited October 2015 in Rasplex

For those of you who want to take Rasplex on holiday or business, want Rasplex in the car/caravan/motorhome and you have no access to WiFi/Ethernet then you need a second RPi2 with a USB hard drive (for your media), a WiFi dongle and a USB powered hub (for the hard drive and power to the RPi2) with Plex Media Server running on it. It also needs to be able to allow clients - Rasplex, tablets, phones, etc, to connect to it - that's where the Router and Access Point comes in!

Follow the attached guide and you'll be set to go.

Please note: This has been put together from a number of sources and modified to get a working solution for the RPi2.

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."

Comments

• Malcolm ClarkMalcolm Clark Posts: 125Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Only just noticed this Ned. Are you aware that the pdf (at least currently) doesn't seem capable of being opened/downloaded.
    Best wishes
    Malcolm

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,732Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Opens fine on my iPad. Ill post Dropbox link as well, thanks.

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 11,041Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited July 2015

For those who like visual clues instead of just text, this video also describes how to setup 2 Pi's in a similar manner to Ned's excellent guide.

And hats off to Ned for putting his guide together. It is precise and easy enough to understand even for the beginner, like me ... :))

Thanks Ned!

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
  • stytstyt Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

Ned's file downloaded and opened fine in my Android tablet.

@trumpy81 thanks for posting the video as well.

Stefan

Hi again,

Thanks for the guide. I am interested to connect to an existing wireless network instead of the wired connection as they are not always available.
    Can this be done on a single wireless adapter in addition to add a second one as well? I am interested in both and pros and cons.

Thanks again for all your efforts

Stefan

Adding a second WiFi dongle to the RPi should allow this, it will install as wlan1, just change the references to eth0 to wlan1.

Please note I haven't tested this.

Regards

• unblowupable5unblowupable5 Posts: 381Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Does this require an RPi2, or will the original B be sufficient? Not a big deal if I need to shell out for a new one, but I've got 2 of the originals laying around with nothing to do at the moment. Just looking for something to stream movies to the kids iPads while on road trips.

This is awesome, by the way. Thank you for putting this together.

Needs an RPi2.

Regards

• cbarnescbarnes Posts: 6Members ✭✭
    edited August 2015

Just got this setup running in time for a road trip with the family coming up. Thanks for putting this together guys.

I'm able to successfully stream 3 (that's as many as I'll need) movies simultaneously from the Raspberry Pi wirelessly. The Pi is set up as a DHCP server and creates it's own network which my iPhones and iPad connect to.

A couple of things I had to tweak that were different from the guide linked to on this post:
    1. I had a different WIFI adapter on my Pi than the one here so I needed a different value on the driver variable in the hostapd.conf file. In case it's useful for anyone I have the Canakit 802.11n adapter so i had to put "nl80211". Source: http://orxgilly.com/raspberry-pi-wireless-router/
    2. For some reason my WIFI adapter was defaulting to only 802.11b speeds. This wasn't fast enough to stream more than 1 movie at 1080p. There is an additional setting not mentioned in the guide you can add to your hostapd.conf file: hw_mode. I set mine to "g" since my older iPhone 4Ses can't do a true 802.11n speed.

Overall this is a pretty slick setup and i'm excited to try it out when we go away. I'll just power the Pi through a car cigarette adapter and stash the Pi somewhere in the dash.

Thanks for the additional info @cbarnes it would be great if others could also post back the details of the adapter they have used and whether the setting is required.

Regards

• usaf-lt-gusaf-lt-g Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2015

Hi guys I'm in the process of installing this system in my wife's car with the addition of a Mausberry Circuit Direct wire usb switch (shuts down both PIs normally via a direct connection to car battery and a switched power source via a script and GPIO circuit)

My question is this however. I'm hooking up the system in such a way that the PMS will connect directly to a wireless router I have in the car via Ethernet. The Client connects to the wifi via a wireless dongle. The PMS also has a WIFI dongle attached to it and the purpose of that is that so if the car is in the garage or driveway it will connect to my homes network which has internet access so I can perform updates. What I've noticed is that if the Eth0 and Wlan0 are both connected at the same time, and I try to do a wget or any internet activity it fails as its only trying to use the locally non-Internet attached eth0 port.... Regardless that the WLan0 port has been assigned an IP address of the Internet attached router.

I don't think I'm going to have a good area in the car to be able to yank an Ethernet cable every time. Is there a way to configure the PMS to prioritize wlan over eth when connected? Ideally I'm trying to set it up where the USB drive is in a place easy to get to, so I can take the media in and out of the car, and when it's connected to the Internet, PMS can download the meta data without having to physically tale it out of the car.

• usaf-lt-gusaf-lt-g Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@usaf-lt-g said:
    Hi guys I'm in the process of installing this system in my wife's car with the addition of a Mausberry Circuit Direct wire usb switch (shuts down both PIs normally via a direct connection to car battery and a switched power source via a script and GPIO circuit)

My question is this however. I'm hooking up the system in such a way that the PMS will connect directly to a wireless router I have in the car via Ethernet. The Client connects to the wifi via a wireless dongle. The PMS also has a WIFI dongle attached to it and the purpose of that is that so if the car is in the garage or driveway it will connect to my homes network which has internet access so I can perform updates. What I've noticed is that if the Eth0 and Wlan0 are both connected at the same time, and I try to do a wget or any internet activity it fails as its only trying to use the locally non-Internet attached eth0 port.... Regardless that the WLan0 port has been assigned an IP address of the Internet attached router.

I don't think I'm going to have a good area in the car to be able to yank an Ethernet cable every time. Is there a way to configure the PMS to prioritize wlan over eth when connected? Ideally I'm trying to set it up where the USB drive is in a place easy to get to, so I can take the media in and out of the car, and when it's connected to the Internet, PMS can download the meta data without having to physically tale it out of the car.

Fixed This. Found another thread which helped. Essentially did the following:

1. Removed the gateway setting from the /etc/network/interfaces for eth0. Only the device connected to the internet or which has internet access really needs a gateway.

2. Set wlan0 to a static IP and provided the gateway.

3. Disabled the hotplugging for eth0 by doing the following:
      pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo cat /etc/default/ifplugd INTERFACES="eth0" HOTPLUG_INTERFACES="eth0" ARGS="-q -f -u0 -d10 -w -I" SUSPEND_ACTION="stop"

This worked, and allows for me to communicate locally over the LAN in the vehicle (Local server / client setup) while allowing internet access through the server via the wlan0 connection.

Next step, is to remove a blank switch panel on my wife's vehicle, and mount a flush-mount USB port to it to allow the easy access to insert a USB thumb drive, or really any other device which will route to a USB port on the hidden plex server.

Now that Raspbian has been upgraded to Jessie the process is now somewhat simpler, I have updated the document in the first post.

Regards

• trumpy81trumpy81 Posts: 11,041Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Thanks for the update Ned. :)

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks

Great. Thanks Ned

• schooschoo Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Works with TP-Link WN823N using the same driver as the guide.

I also added ieee80211n=1 into the hostapd.conf for N Speeds.

Got a road trip coming up and very excited to test it out.

Thank you!

• langfeldtslangfeldts Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This thread is amazing. Had a few hiccups getting this done, but did a dry run this AM in preparation for our family's annual road trip in December. Worked like a charm with one iPad. Will do a good stress test tomorrow with 3 devices to see if the Pi can handle it.

Thanks Ned and all. I forgot to check about B vs G vs N speeds, so will be doing that tonight.

• rubenstrubenst Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Hello,

Great post, thank you for the guide. I start to understand things...
    My question is if I can connect to RPi2 with an LAN HD and send audio via bluetooth to far connected speakers.

Thanks in advance !

edited December 2015

This only gives you the Plex Media Server, you need a Plex client to connect to it to stream media, it depends on the client you choose whether you can send audio to Bluetooth speakers. Check out available Plex clients.

Rasplex as a Plex client does not support audio over Bluetooth.

Regards

• byucoug11byucoug11 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

Question for those who have been able to get this working successfully:

I have PMS running fine on a Pi 2. When I connect the Pi to my home network, I can have 5 devices streaming from the Pi PMS with no issues at all.

But when I connect to the Pi via an ad-hoc network created with my Edimax EW7811Un dongle, I'm lucky to get 2 streaming consistently. The first device plays with no issue, the second device takes a while to start playing after a movie is selected (and sometimes doesn't start at all), and the 3rd device just stays at the blurry screen of whatever move I've selected.

The Pi is plugged into the same power source in both cases (home network and ad-hoc), so I don't think it's a power issue.

Any ideas/tips?