Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

'There was a problem playing this item'

fenster214fenster214 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 ✭✭

Not a question - more a solution.

I had this error displaying to me when attempting to play a few items from my library. The files I knew were OK as VLC playback via sshfs direct from the server was fine.

Read a few things about SSL connections, Subtitles, this, that and the other - but none were the cause of my issue.

Turns out it was disk space.

From 'Plex Media Server.log'

{{{
Feb 09, 2016 10:55:41 [0x7fc28a3f9700] WARN - Low disk space: 5043020343 bytes source file, 18746441728 bytes capacity, 3664343040 bytes available on /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode/Sessions
Feb 09, 2016 10:55:41 [0x7fc28a3f9700] WARN - TranscodeSession: inadequate disk space for transcode
Feb 09, 2016 10:55:41 [0x7fc28a3f9700] ERROR - Failed to start session successfully.
}}}

Who'd have thought only having 3.5GB~ free would be an issue!

Just thought I'd share.

Comments

• jamesmacwhitejamesmacwhite Members, Plex Pass Posts: 75 Plex Pass
    edited February 2016

A general rule for transcoding is that you must have equal disk space available relative to the size of the media file being played with an additional overhead for the transcode job. This behaviour was changed recently and is catching some users out.

In this case you are trying to play a 5 GB video file with only 3.6 GB available on your / partition, which is where /var/lib/plexmediaserver resides. Because whatever device that initiated the playback requires transcoding, you got this error.

Generally, I'd recommended tweaking your transcode storage location either to a larger secondary volume or to a network location, providing the network and write speeds are adequate to transcode.

its worth noting, that the transcode directory is only temporary storage, Plex will clean up the transcoded video content regularly.

Once you've either increased the disk space on the current transcode directory or redirected it to a new location with more space you'll be able to watch Matt Damon in The Martian without any issues ;)

• DeathStar77DeathStar77 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

How does one go about redirecting the current transcode directory location?

• orpington2019orpington2019 Members Posts: 1

I had this same problem. I didn't know about the disc space issued. Thank you. That fixed it.

DeathStarr77:
    You can change it by going to the plex app on PC and clicking on the "Settings" icon in the upper right hand corner.

Then click on the "Server" heading.
    Then scroll down to the section
    "The path where local application data is stored"
    and change that location to a hard drive that has more room than the one currently listed.

I changed mine from the default of something like "C://user/app/data/" to simply "F://" (don't use the quotation marks if you cut and paste this) to send it to one of my external hard drives that has about 100gb of room on it. I was trying to play a 25gb file and didn't know why it wasn't working. My C:// drive only had 18gb free so changing this fixed the problem.

• haertighaertig Members Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

I have the issue when playing media via Plex Web using Firefox as the browser. I have plenty of available disk space. And it is not even transcoding in the first place. Additionally, the video plays just fine, I get the message after stopping playback. So it appears to be a somewhat bogus message.

The fix is to switch to Chrome as the browser. The message disappears. Firefox has been going downhill lately. I am actively trying to learn Chrome and get all my web browsing switched over there. It's a bit of a learning curve finding equivalent plug-ins since I've been using Firefox/Mozilla since the dinosaurs roamed. It's sad to see it degrading recently.

• adampskiadampski Members, Plex Pass Posts: 19 Plex Pass

@haertig said:
    I have the issue when playing media via Plex Web using Firefox as the browser. I have plenty of available disk space. And it is not even transcoding in the first place. Additionally, the video plays just fine, I get the message after stopping playback. So it appears to be a somewhat bogus message.

The fix is to switch to Chrome as the browser. The message disappears. Firefox has been going downhill lately. I am actively trying to learn Chrome and get all my web browsing switched over there. It's a bit of a learning curve finding equivalent plug-ins since I've been using Firefox/Mozilla since the dinosaurs roamed. It's sad to see it degrading recently.

Didn't even try clearing cache or trying a new profile? Seems stupid to blame the browser as a whole without even troubleshooting the basics!

• haertighaertig Members Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

@adampski said:
    Didn't even try clearing cache or trying a new profile? Seems stupid to blame the browser as a whole without even troubleshooting the basics!

Actually, it seems more stupid to comment negatively based on a false assumption that I did not do any troubleshooting. How would you know any of that? There's a reason why they say, "An assumption is the first step towards a screw-up". I had indeed done very much troubleshooting, cache-clearing, etc. It didn't help. I am running on Linux. And it hasn't helped with my friends who also report a degradation in Firefox on their Linux and Windows computers too. Or for my wife who runs on Windows. I am indeed sad to see Firefox starting the slide downhill. But don't blame me as a user. Many others have noted the same issues I'm seeing creep in. Slowness, hangs/stalls, video playback quality not as good as in the past, etc. Firefox is still usable at this point. I hope they can correct course soon before too many users jump ship.