Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

FLAC files with CUE?

withanxwithanx Members Posts: 27 ✭✭
Hi, lately I've received a bunch of FLAC lossless audio. Most of the audio is one file per disc with a .cue file that matches up to the tracks. This doesn't appear to be supported in Plex 9, although something I read said it was definitely supported in Plex 8. Am I doing something wrong, or is it something no longer supported?

Comments

• ch1525ch1525 Members Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I'm curious about this as well.
  • pwfletcherpwfletcher Members Posts: 26
    I hate that ... I wish people would just rip individual files for individual songs.
    Yeah, I would prefer individual files, too, but, alas, I have an incredible amount stored in single-file FLACs and APEs with CUE and would love to be able to use them better on Plex.
  • adriandbadriandb Members, Plex Pass Posts: 946 Plex Pass
    ch1525 wrote:

Yeah, I would prefer individual files, too, but, alas, I have an incredible amount stored in single-file FLACs and APEs with CUE and would love to be able to use them better on Plex.

It isn't an ideal solution, but there are plenty of tools that should be able to separate these out for you without losing any quality.

2012 Mac Mini - 2.5GHz dual-core i5 - 8gb RAM - Mac OS 10.8 | Sans Digital TowerRAID TR5UT+B RAID 5 (5 x 3TB) | Onkyo TX-SR608 | LG 55" LED LCD (55LW5600)

Thanks, Adriandb.  That is a good idea.  Except I have to keep those files in that format for another use.  So I'd have to double the size of my collection of those files.  Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to implement reading of the Cue files by the server, no?

• savarasavara Members, Plex Pass Posts: 35 Plex Pass
    adriandb wrote on February 14 2013, 5:17 PM: »

It isn't an ideal solution, but there are plenty of tools that should be able to separate these out for you without losing any quality.

That's true, XLD will do it with no problem, but native support for .cue for flacs is in most standalone players, like Cog for example, or VOX. The reason why Plex has to have it is that main idea of plex is that most metadata processing is done automatically. You don't have to search for artwork, names, descriptions. Same with .cue.

• napychnapych Members Posts: 4

I can't believe Plex doesn't support flac+cue. Cue is simplest playlist format. Even chinese hardware media players support it.

That's strange like… Lack of 192kbps/24bit support.

• ihorhdihorhd Members Posts: 2

Guys, is there any way to add cue+flac(wav, wv, ape) files support to PLEX?

Possibly with donation support?

• napychnapych Members Posts: 4

It looks like nobody cares about music playback with Plex. Unfortunately. Nobody even moved this topic to correct forum.

BTW, XBMC supports it. Maybe I should give it a try again.

• atrusatrus Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 11,093 Plex Ninja
    napych wrote on July 7 2014, 11:03 AM: »

It looks like nobody cares about music playback with Plex. Unfortunately. Nobody even moved this topic to correct forum.

BTW, XBMC supports it. Maybe I should give it a try again.

When this thread was created back in 2011 I suspect this was the correct forum to do it. Actually, it isn't really wrong now either. Support for .cue files would likely be built into PMS so it could be used by all the clients. I have never used .cue files, so I wouldn't know how to test if it works or not.

Yeah, if .cue support is really important for you and if PMS does not support it, then you can check for example XBMC. They might support it. Hope you find what you are looking for!

 Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page

Another year has passed - Plex still is incapable of doing what XBMC does easily. How cool is that.

blackeyeliner wrote on December 28 2014, 8:40 PM: »

Another year has passed - Plex still is incapable of doing what XBMC does easily. How cool is that.

Another year has passed, and XBMC can't do 10 other things that Plex can. How cool is that?

 Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page
    atrus wrote on December 28 2014, 11:28 PM: »

Another year has passed, and XBMC can't do 10 other things that Plex can. How cool is that?

It  is true and it is cool. But we are speaking about understanding that CUE+FLAC is not one song, a lot of music is like this, it's good for playback as there are no skips etc. It's trivial and supported by most players. There's a lot of reasoning behind why this is a shame it's not implemented. Yes you can XLD it and split etc, but well, you could just support WAV and be fine with that - XLD it to wav etc. 

edited February 2015
    blackeyeliner wrote on February 5 2015, 2:22 PM: »

It  is true and it is cool. But we are speaking about understanding that CUE+FLAC is not one song, a lot of music is like this, it's good for playback as there are no skips etc. It's trivial and supported by most players. There's a lot of reasoning behind why this is a shame it's not implemented. Yes you can XLD it and split etc, but well, you could just support WAV and be fine with that - XLD it to wav etc. 

Do not get me wrong. Every good feature that is not in the Plex ecosystem is something that people will miss. And I agree, that is a shame. My comment above was merely made to make it clear that the reason why not every feature that other apps have is in Plex is because Plex has added features that others do not have. Some things will take time to add (or not be added at all) because other things are deemed more important. It is truly not any other reason. And everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it truly grinds my gear when people do not understand that there are no evil idiots in charge of this company. They might use different logic than others though. Like for example the lack of a good subtitle download feature that can be triggered from the clients UI. That is for many of us something that would be AMAZING (amaze-balls even) if implemented, but still it is not. Truth be told, if I was in charge that would be the number one prio. But I do not believe they haven't added it because they are idiots, or evil. Just... different :)

Well I understand it better than anyone else: I am managing a development team and we are dealing with prioritization every day. Probably, it's really not that important and not many people are voting for it. Well what's left for me is just hope for the better, that's it. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Is there any way to see how development is going, i.e. what features are on the roadmap, what's the general plan etc?

edited February 2015
    blackeyeliner wrote on February 5 2015, 3:03 PM: »

Well I understand it better than anyone else: I am managing a development team and we are dealing with prioritization every day. Probably, it's really not that important and not many people are voting for it. Well what's left for me is just hope for the better, that's it. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Is there any way to see how development is going, i.e. what features are on the roadmap, what's the general plan etc?

I have been working professionally in the exact same role as you for a few years. It is always hard to manage expectations and please everyone.

No, Plex Inc. has for a couple of different reasons chosen to go the "Apple route" for a lack of a better analogy. The roadmap and general plan is secret. This causes additional stress on us in the forums helping out, and on users that can't wait to get their specific things implemented. But on the other hand it gives other more pleasant side effects. One big thing is the element of surprise of course. Another is that now when Plex Inc. is very much a real company instead of a hobby and (partly) open source project, they are making business deals with fairly big players (or even huge players) that demands an NDA. Having an open view into a backlog would not be possible, and even partial road maps would make little sense when it contains things that needs explanations that can't be given or contain things that might reveal secrets or leave things to be easily deducted.

All that headache is easily removed by not allowing users into the backlog/plans at all. A simple way out. Which is both a curse and a relief.

Thank you Altrus!

• robertsigrobertsig Members, Plex Pass Posts: 188 Plex Pass

First post.  Just bought Plex, lifetime pass, and I love how it organizes my movie collection.  But seeing how my music collection is 90% single flac files with external (& embedded) CUE files, this really is disappointing.

I'm not interested in ripping two or three different ways when one will work.  I prefer a single file to keep the gaps intact, and it can act as an archive to re-create the original CD as well as play directly from it.  Foobar and XBMC work fine, as does GoldenEar on my iPhone.

To those who prefer separate files, have at it.  I refuse to submit to the sound-byte generation mentality.  I prefer my albums intact.

Please Plex Gods, add this feature!

• Nick+SeamoreNick+Seamore Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass
    Anyone have albums of Pink Floyd, Roger Waters? That's a very good reason to add compatebility of cue files.
  • claudio_romaclaudio_roma Members, Plex Pass Posts: 262 Plex Pass
    robertsig wrote on February 9 2015, 3:35 PM: »

First post.  Just bought Plex, lifetime pass, and I love how it organizes my movie collection.  But seeing how my music collection is 90% single flac files with external (& embedded) CUE files, this really is disappointing.

I'm not interested in ripping two or three different ways when one will work.  I prefer a single file to keep the gaps intact, and it can act as an archive to re-create the original CD as well as play directly from it.  Foobar and XBMC work fine, as does GoldenEar on my iPhone.

To those who prefer separate files, have at it.  I refuse to submit to the sound-byte generation mentality.  I prefer my albums intact.

Please Plex Gods, add this feature!

+1

I agree should be part. I was surprised is not after this big recent update especially in the music part. Isn't?