Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New Privacy Policy is bullshit.

enMTWenMTW Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just got an email about the new privacy policy. https://www.plex.tv/about/privacy-policy-update-notice/

"In order to understand the usage across the Plex ecosystem and how we need to improve, Plex will continue to collect usage statistics, such as device type, duration, bit rate, media format, resolution, and media type (music, photos, videos, etc.). We will no longer allow the option to opt out of this statistics collection."

This is **** bullshit. You are not entitled to that information. You may want it, but you do not get to make the decision for me. Stop making the world a worse place. The privacy of your users comes before your desire for metrics. It doesn't matter if you don't think the information is sensitive, the user is the one to decide.

It's super-duper bullshit that the change is forced upon lifetime Plex Pass customers.

Stop being shitheads. Listen to your users. Changes like this should be discussed prior to implementation.

Comments

• nathanexplosionnathanexplosion Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah this is pretty unnerving. I will not be updating my server to any software that doesn't allow me to opt out.

And given Plex's forays into trying to wring money out of us (the bluray ads they stuck in our dashboard comes to mind), to say that I'm not feeling any of this would be a big understatement.

• forrestmidforrestmid Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I completely agree. They need to re-think this change. I'm going to firewall any network interactions from Plex to any servers but the few TV Show and Movie database servers that need to be communicated.

• jaihussainjaihussain Posts: 68Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 18

Please forgive my ignorance, I got the email too and I was hoping someone could be kind enough to explain the implications of why these changes could be bad for a Plex user?

Edit. Sorry just to be clear, I get that they will know what device I’m using from what location at what speed, bitrate etc. But doesn’t that already happen with any modern mobile phone? I use an intel nuc for my media server and play my content on an Apple TV, a pc and a few iOS devices. Why would it be so bad if they knew that?

• Justin WedepohlJustin Wedepohl Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My issue isn't that Plex is going to be looking at this but that some day when a subpoena comes down guess who will be knocking at our doors. This needs to be rolled back immediately.

• clnrclnr Posts: 207Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 18

Basically they will sell user habits, especially related to the Live TV/DVR-recording features, to third parties. Probably anonymized (that is what they are stating at least) but still they will make money out of their user base. Both free and paying customers alike. And personally, if I pay for something I don't want to be the product and I feel cheated on the money I pay to Plex as a Plex Pass holder.

-- The window will bring the answer --
  • jaihussainjaihussain Posts: 68Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@nathanexplosion said:

@jaihussain said:
    Please forgive my ignorance, I got the email too and I was hoping someone could be kind enough to explain the implications of why these changes could be bad for a Plex user?

Edit. Sorry just to be clear, I get that they will know what device I’m using from what location at what speed, bitrate etc. But doesn’t that already happen with any modern mobile phone? I use an intel nuc for my music server and play my content on an Apple TV, a pc and a few iOS devices. Why would it be so bad if they knew that?

If you aren't paying for a product, you are the product. It looks like the Plex folks are looking to sell us -- our data -- to any company willing to throw money at them. I didn't sign up for that. And part of the reason I paid for a lifetime Plex Pass is to hopefully avoid having them sell my data to any Tom, D!ck or Mary, but now they are decidedly moving into the data collection and sales business. You may be ok with them selling everything that have on you to other entities, but I am not.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for your explanation

• farginnoobfarginnoob Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Agree so hard. Roll this back and don't force us to accept telemetry we didn't ask for and don't want. People who don't care will already allow telemetry to be collected, so let them be your guinea pigs.

• ksharksksharks Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I will also be locking my Server down to the latest version that allows you to stop statics then looking for a new media manger... Once I find one I will request a refund for my lifetime plex pass this is a load of crap... Roll this change back or else I leave and I encourage everyone I ever suggested to use Plex to get off your platform ASAP..

• Darth AndroidDarth Android Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex, you just lost yourself multiple plex pass subscribers, and I will be actively recommending for others to stay away from Plex. I paid for software that suits my needs, and unless you want to start paying me, my usage habits are not yours to sell.

• cjordan84cjordan84 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Agreed. I paid my fee, my data should be mine to do with as I please. I'll keep my Plex version what it currently is and start funneling support to solutions like Emby until it's mature enough to replace Plex.

• blahhumbugblahhumbug Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Installing emby right now.

• mbrown9numbrown9nu Posts: 24Members Plex Pass

Seriously. F U PLEX.

Roll this back or I'm out.

• A_PrestonA_Preston Posts: 30Members ✭✭

SCREW YOU PLEX!! I'm a Plex Pass PAYING customer (only for the DVR feature) but this IS bullshit !

You will NOT collect "statistics" from me. As of late the DVR has been a steaming pile of crap and I had to roll it back several months to get back to a reliable version. Where I have it now works and that's where it will stay. I will not update and I will firewall my entire household from being able to contact any of your servers.

This **** is NOT ok.

Fix this!

• A_PrestonA_Preston Posts: 30Members ✭✭

Oh yeah, and next week I'm ordering a four tuner Tablo and Plex can stick their Pass and DVR up their ass, sideways.

Tablo will give me live OTA on every device in my home, Plex Pass DVR only gives me live TV on a freaking little iPhone screen, Rokus, not at all.

Hello Tablo, goodbye Plex Pass. Kiss my subscription goodbye....