New Privacy Policy is bullshit.

Just got an email about the new privacy policy. https://www.plex.tv/about/privacy-policy-update-notice/

"In order to understand the usage across the Plex ecosystem and how we need to improve, Plex will continue to collect usage statistics, such as device type, duration, bit rate, media format, resolution, and media type (music, photos, videos, etc.). We will no longer allow the option to opt out of this statistics collection."

This is fucking bullshit. You are not entitled to that information. You may want it, but you do not get to make the decision for me. Stop making the world a worse place. The privacy of your users comes before your desire for metrics. It doesn't matter if you don't think the information is sensitive, the user is the one to decide.

It's super-duper bullshit that the change is forced upon lifetime Plex Pass customers.

Stop being shitheads. Listen to your users. Changes like this should be discussed prior to implementation.

Another change to the privacy policy, presented without comment:

"When you use the Services to watch, listen to, or record content [...] use of our Live TV and DVR service, we may collect information related to that media interaction. For example, we may collect what program or movie you are watching and when, your interaction with any static or video advertising, etc. We may also collect your device information and device location, for example, by using your IP address or by asking for your zip code."

Yeah this is pretty unnerving.

This is not OK. I can now no longer recommend Plex

I completely agree. They need to re-think this change. I'm going to firewall any network interactions from Plex to any servers but the few TV Show and Movie database servers that need to be communicated.

Please forgive my ignorance, I got the email too and I was hoping someone could be kind enough to explain the implications of why these changes could be bad for a Plex user?

Edit. Sorry just to be clear, I get that they will know what device I’m using from what location at what speed, bitrate etc. But doesn’t that already happen with any modern mobile phone? I use an intel nuc for my media server and play my content on an Apple TV, a pc and a few iOS devices. Why would it be so bad if they knew that?

My issue isn't that Plex is going to be looking at this but that some day when a subpoena comes down guess who will be knocking at our doors. This needs to be rolled back immediately.

Basically they will sell user habits, especially related to the Live TV/DVR-recording features, to third parties. Probably anonymized (that is what they are stating at least) but still they will make money out of their user base. Both free and paying customers alike. And personally, if I pay for something I don't want to be the product and I feel cheated on the money I pay to Plex as a Plex Pass holder.

If you aren't paying for a product, you are the product.

@nathanexplosion said:

@jaihussain said:
Please forgive my ignorance, I got the email too and I was hoping someone could be kind enough to explain the implications of why these changes could be bad for a Plex user?

Edit. Sorry just to be clear, I get that they will know what device I’m using from what location at what speed, bitrate etc. But doesn’t that already happen with any modern mobile phone? I use an intel nuc for my music server and play my content on an Apple TV, a pc and a few iOS devices. Why would it be so bad if they knew that?

If you aren't paying for a product, you are the product. It looks like the Plex folks are looking to sell us -- our data -- to any company willing to throw money at them. I didn't sign up for that. And part of the reason I paid for a lifetime Plex Pass is to hopefully avoid having them sell my data to any Tom, D!ck or Mary, but now they are decidedly moving into the data collection and sales business. You may be ok with them selling everything that have on you to other entities, but I am not.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for your explanation

As pointed out by a user on Reddit:

"We have and will always respect and take your privacy seriously."

and

"We will no longer allow the option to opt out of this statistics collection."

contradict each other.

Agree so hard. Roll this back and don't force us to accept telemetry we didn't ask for and don't want. People who don't care will already allow telemetry to be collected, so let them be your guinea pigs.

Welp, I guess I'm freezing my server at the version it is now. No more updates for me. Sad to see them force this issue. Same way many other platforms died out (Boxee, etc...).

I will also be locking my Server down to the latest version that allows you to stop statics then looking for a new media manger... Once I find one I will request a refund for my lifetime plex pass this is a load of crap... Roll this change back or else I leave and I encourage everyone I ever suggested to use Plex to get off your platform ASAP..

Plex, you just lost yourself multiple plex pass subscribers, and I will be actively recommending for others to stay away from Plex. I paid for software that suits my needs, and unless you want to start paying me, my usage habits are not yours to sell.

Agreed. I paid my fee, my data should be mine to do with as I please. I'll keep my Plex version what it currently is and start funneling support to solutions like Emby until it's mature enough to replace Plex.

Plex team, how does this align with the European Union Data Protection Regulation laws?

I'm obviously not a lawyer but it looks like you would want to review your position carefully seeing how it requires you to allow users to opt out and even ask for data removal. Comes into come into full force in 25 May 2018.

Installing emby right now.

Seriously. F U PLEX.

Roll this back or I'm out.

SCREW YOU PLEX!! I'm a Plex Pass PAYING customer (only for the DVR feature) but this IS bullshit !

You will NOT collect "statistics" from me. As of late the DVR has been a steaming pile of crap and I had to roll it back several months to get back to a reliable version. Where I have it now works and that's where it will stay. I will not update and I will firewall my entire household from being able to contact any of your servers.

This shit is NOT ok.

Fix this!