Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New version 6.4.2.1697 for fire stick gen 1 causes video micro stuttering?

ojconcentrateojconcentrate Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone else experiencing this?

Answers

• wilder90wilder90 Posts: 1Members

me 2 need help

• Jacksmyname1Jacksmyname1 Posts: 8Members ✭✭

Yep, same here. About every six seconds or so. Previous version played all of my movies just fine. Now it seems like dropped frames. I'm about to send an email to see if there's a way to download the previous version.

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,818Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Do you have refresh rate switching enabled?

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • paulcarlesspaulcarless Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 6

Was watching a movie last night on my Amazon Fire TV (wired) when it suddenly stopped and Plex appeared to crash. A few seconds later Plex reloaded with a new interface and took me to a new looking home screen. It showed the film on the deck, so I clicked to resume watching but it wouldn't play, saying there wasn't enough bandwidth. Nothing at my end had changed, only the Plex application. I've reset the server, reset the Amazon Fire TV but it still won't play anything or if it does, it pauses after a couple of seconds and says there isn't enough bandwidth. Everything else on the Amazon TV works fine like Netflix, BBC iPlayer etc and streams shows in HD without issue so I know it's not a network problem. To add insult to injury, Vimu Media Player picks up Plex server and plays films/shows without issue. So the problem is definitely with the new Plex app. Is there a way to revert to the previous app on Amazon?

• ojconcentrateojconcentrate Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 6

@BigWheel said:
    Do you have refresh rate switching enabled?

Thank you for the follow-up.

I reinstalled plex so if its a setting within the application and its default on its on. If its not, could point me to where I can find it within the Plex for Fire TV App? Or is it a setting in the Server?

I should also include that, like other people, the playback was normal on the same device just the night before the update.

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,818Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited September 6

Settings>Advanced>Refresh Rate ( note i do not have a Fire device, screen is from a Nvidia Shield but should be the same )

I was talking to devs and there was some odd stuttering on another type of device they think will be solved in next release so may be fixed soon if the same ( if not a refresh rate issue. )

Thank you BigWheel. I will test it later today and report back. Hopefully someone else can test it before me.

• Cabel330Cabel330 Posts: 559Members ✭✭✭

@BigWheel
    There is no such a Setting in the FireTV. But disabling Auto passthrough helped.

• brickobricko Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having this same issue as well. Worked perfectly before the update.

@Cabel330 said:
    @BigWheel
    There is no such a Setting in the FireTV. But disabling Auto passthrough helped.

OK thanks for info. Reported that to devs the setting should be there. if disabling auto passthrough worked sounds like it may be having issues syncing video and audio stream. will let the devs know.

• LusiphurLusiphur Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue.

Latest version of software on the Fire stick. Auto Passthrough disabled. Streaming set down to 720p. Stutters like a ****

Worked ok (Fire Stick has always been a pos) before the update.

Oh and may I suggest re-setting all the app settings (eg Theme tunes etc) is a bad idea on the update. That particular one caused lockups on the Fire Stick and took a mighty effort to resolve.

• morganpricemorganprice Posts: 2Members

Exact same problem here guys, no microstutter before and now constant since the latest update. Devs thanks for your hard work but please fix asap!

@BigWheel said:

@Cabel330 said:
    @BigWheel

OK thanks for info. Reported that to devs the setting should be there. if disabling auto passthrough worked sounds like it may be having issues syncing video and audio stream. will let the devs know.

As you said, the option isn't there. Disabling or leaving Passthrough on auto has no effect for me. The frame drop happens regardless.

• jfox00jfox00 Posts: 3Members

Same issue here. Plex crashed on me when it decided to update in the middle of my show, and now every show has a micro-stutter every 6 seconds. How can I get the old version back?

• duhorgduhorg Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 7

I can't even get into the advanced settings; the Plex app crashes upon attempt to select Settings (in left bar) -> Settings (icon in row). Every time. And I need to be able to set the default video quality limit because it's trying to stream recorded TV at full bitrate, which the device can't handle. Setting it from the per-video menus, same stuttering problems here as well.

I can't even find in the current Fire OS where to disable app updates so that I can adb-load the older APK and keep it there. Right now Plex is basically not working at all anymore for me, and it was perfectly fine in 6.3.x.

• pau1r0g3npau1r0g3n Posts: 10Validating Plex Pass

I now have the same sutter issue every couple seconds, tried different settings to no success. Note: This all worked absolutely fine on my firestick before the GUI app update which I suspect changed from PMS update.

• D(0)ubleRD(0)ubleR Posts: 1Members

I have been trying to figure out what happened to my FIreStick/Plex since last night. Uninstalled/reinstalled several times with the same results, new UI that appears to be half backed and some sort of "server mode" and stutter playback every 5-10 seconds. Glad to see that I am not alone in my issues. I thought this started due to the latest Plex Media Server 1.8.3.4235 on a Mac and had issues with remote access, after getting that resolved Plex on the Firestick stopped playing, locked up, rebooted and back to the main menu of the Firestick. After relaunching Plex the new UI(X) came up everything is slow to load or refresh, cant press play from the cover art/poster, looks to be an experimental player and everything is choppy. I would like the old interface back please

• S-rayS-ray Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same exact issues as everyone else. Worked great on old version until Plex crashed while watching something. Once it came back up it was the new interface. Ever since, it stutters about every 6 seconds. I have tried all the settings to see if anything helped. Nothing helps.

BTW... I am running the newest Plex Server (Version 1.8.3.4235). I will mention that before upgrading to the new server I was running Version 1.5.5 and the stuttering was still happening. I upgraded to the new version thinking maybe it would fix the stutter.

I hope they get this fixed soon. It is real annoying to watch with the stutter.

• craigdhdcraigdhd Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Same issue here, tiny stutter every 5-7 seconds like skipped frames. Reinstalled app and kept passthrough disabled which fixed 5.1 audio issue but stuutter persists.

• pdplexvideopdplexvideo Posts: 66Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue for me too.