I have a “Movies 3D” library, which is defined to be a Plex Movies library. Among many movies there, I have:
- Hobbit, The (1) - An Unexpected Journey (3D) (part 1) (Extended Edition) (2012) (1.6.2) (H-SBS).mkv
- Hobbit, The (1) - An Unexpected Journey (3D) (part 2) (Extended Edition) (2012) (1.6.2) (H-SBS).mkv
And I have the same pairs for the other two movies (6 MKV files total).
Plex automatically joined these pairs together to form three single movies. That would normally be fine with me, except that when we were watching with subtitles, when the second half of the first movie began (you could tell when it began because the movie was interrupted by the Plex caching progress display screen), the subtitles no longer worked during the second part. I paused and went into the stream menu, and sure enough the subtitle track was selected. I turned it off, unpaused, then paused again, turned it back on, played again, and still the subtitles didn’t work. It doesn’t appear subtitles work in second parts of “joined” movies. (My LG TV handles all the 3D stuff, so the fact that these are 3D movies is irrelevant.)
I tried to Split Apart the movies, but alas, that option is missing for all three of these movies. Let me remind everyone that this is indeed a standard movie library. The option is supposed to be available for movie libraries. The “Split Apart” option is just missing. The popup menu for the 3-dot overflow options displays with no problems (none of the menu is missing - it displays fully on the screen).
So, the next logical step for me was to “Unmatch” the movie. Surely I could get Plex to see two different movies at that point. NO! Of course not. Why on Earth would that work. After “unmatching” the movie, Plex still insisted on keeping these two files married until death do they part… at this point I doubt that even Dr. Manhattan could get around the bulletproof file merging automation of Plex coders.
Finally, I tried renaming each of the files: I replaced “Part 1” with “first” and “Part 2” with “second” and had Plex rescan my files. Finally, this worked! It appears I am more powerful than Dr. Manhattan.
Anyway, 1) subtitles should work in second parts of joined files, 2) the Split Apart option shouldn’t disappear in movie libraries, and 3)… there is more…
Even though Collections were already disabled for this library, Plex still apparently felt compelled to form a Hobbit collection that I just now deleted since I’m not a fan of Collections.
Anyway, I was obviously able to work around all this stuff by unmatching and renaming files, but now these movies don’t have any meta information - I had to provide titles and movie covers manually for each file. I hope these bugs can be fixed soon.