Allow extras to pull metadata from agents

I’ve got the original Star Wars trilogy movies set up and am working on adding all the extras from all the various sources (DVD, BD, 4K UHD). I understand the naming conventions for having extras show up under the movies and as far as that goes all is well.

I’ve been surprised at how many of the featurettes are actually listed under TVDB. However, the only way I’ve found to avail myself of that metadata is to place these files directly in the movies folder rather than as subfolders under the individual films. I could be at peace with this with some of the larger featurettes, such as The Making of Star Wars, The Magic and the Mystery, Empire of Dreams, etc. However, there’s a lot of smaller featurettes running 15-25 minutes that feel a little awkward having in my Movies library. Then there are some longer features that are definitely very specific to a given film, like SPFX: The Empire Strikes Back and Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi.

I would love to be able to de-clutter my Movies library and move some of these featurettes as extras under the associated films, but still have all the images, cast, ratings, descriptions, etc. available from TVDB.

I’d be grateful if the team would consider this.

Thanks,

Steve

While not an exact answer to your suggestion, this is what I’ve ended up with when dealing with this kind of extras — especially for extras related to collections, not necessarily individual movies:

  1. I’ve created a separate library “Specials & Featurettes” which holds those “matchable files”.

  2. I’ve organized them into collections, e.g. Star Wars — matching the collection names in my main library

With that, I benefited from getting online metadata, posters etc. for those, and also seeing them as related items with those collections or main movies (listed as “Movies in [name of the collection]”).

Example:

Additional content in its own library/collection

Additional content listed on the movie library’s collection page

Additional content listed on an individual movie’s page

Very nice!

A well thought out strategy. I will have to consider how I can make this work for me for the time being (or forever if the feature suggestion goes nowhere). Thank you!