Apple Watch Client App Request

ios

Now with Apple Watch 3 and LTE(celular connection). We seen Apple pushing the watch to become a stand alone device more and more. It's time for the plex team to start looking forward and develop a plex client app for apple watch.

I think you’d end up with a dead watch in less than an hour. I don’t think it’s useful at this point.

I'm also interested in this... even if its just for music. I don't want to pay for Apple Music, I want to use my own server.

I'm also interested.. with support for offline music (workouts)

Yes... PLEASE bring Apple Watch support! I'm somewhat shocked to see it take so damn long considering Plex started on iOS and the Apple Watch is the most popular wearable.

I've been loading all my music into Plex and would love the ability to stream music from my server directly to my watch!!

Yes, I want this for music, too.

Music may not come, apple currently isnt allowing music on watch apps without approval, even spotify isnt able to get on watch os yet.

@BillyPrefect said:
I think you’d end up with a dead watch in less than an hour. I don’t think it’s useful at this point.

Why would it be dead? Wouldn't using it as a remote simply hook the player to the server directly?

It seems like it would be an obvious beneficial addition to me.

@BillyPrefect said:

Music streaming has actually become pretty efficient in terms of battery consumption. The watch could download a full album pretty quickly with LTE download speeds, then stop using the LTE service and play back off the local cache, thereby preserving battery.

And here here for an Apple Watch client!

Definitely looking forward to whenever this can be implemented!

Me too!! I was looking if this was asked before posting it as a feature request !!

We want PLEX Client for Apple Watch 3 LTE : D

This is would be good, to being able to listen to music from my plex server without the need of having my phone. Thorugh my apple watch series 3 and airpods, would be amazing feat, if they can pull it off. It would round my plex expeerince to being dam close to perfection. And also remote controling my plex media player through my watch. (being perferection would be having music videos back, but thats for a different thred and reasoning why that got removed)

We're still evaluating what functionality could potentially be provided by a watch app. Unfortunately, streaming music playback directly on the watch won't be possible with the current APIs that Apple expose for use by third party developers :disappointed:

Hi jam,

It's great to hear Plex is already looking at this. That's the first step.
I know there are more watch apps been implemented or upgraded to work as stand alone but at this stage there might still be some limitations.
Another approach would be to connect the iwatch to iphone and have the audio streamed. I suggest to have a look at that.
This would be a first version until Apple releases the APIs you required to develop the functionality directly on the iwatch.
Maybe this helps.
Cheers

Remote on Apple Watch would be great to have. Fingers crossed!

Apple has released their music stream service.

https://youtu.be/JndI7_kiZUo

@jam said:
We're still evaluating what functionality could potentially be provided by a watch app. Unfortunately, streaming music playback directly on the watch won't be possible with the current APIs that Apple expose for use by third party developers :disappointed:

How does Pandora get away with it? I would be happy with a just a "PLEX Music" app.

I would like there to be a music-only version of the Plex client for Apple Watch. It should work with both Series 2 (Sync, both albums and playlists), or Series 3 (streaming if available). I have a series 2, and all I really want to do is sync a playlist to my phone from Plex so I can go for a workout and leave my phone at home so it doesn't get ripped off at the gym.

+1 for music to the watch. Would be really nice to have it stream directly to the watch once the apple APIs allow for it. Looks like Pandora’s watch app needs you to be connected to your phone, which kind of defeats the purpose.