So for years, I built my collection up to the point it was perfect, then my NAS Hard drive failed, and I had to rebuild my collection from scratch. Another time, Plex updated incorrectly, and I had to reinstall it to repair the installation, losing all the metadata in the library.
I spent years hand-compiling metadata, uploading covers via the web UI, for it all to be lost.
When Plex said they were implementing NFO files, I thought somebody would have connected the dots and provided a way of backing up our artwork files and metadata into our local folders. Nothing arrived. Plex tells us to use Tiny Media Manager; while it is OK, it is importing the data into Plex, not exporting the data out of Plex.
Why would I want to get my library perfect to then overwrite it with another tool?
WebTools-NG is a great tool; it does something similar with artwork but can only export fields to Excel, not to NFO.
My friend and I do a lot of backups to LTO tape, and it became an absolute nightmare to keep the Plex library in sync with local folders. We needed a solution; nobody was providing it, so we spent the last few weekends putting together a solution in Python.
We have created a small lightweight tool called “NFO PRO for Plex” it allows you to connect to your Plex server, then add local folders to map against your server if on a different machine. Click “Download All” to download:
- Poster
- Background
- Logo
- Square Art
- Movie / Show NFO files
- Season / Episode NFO files
- Season Poster
- Season Background
- Episode Thumbs
- Theme Song
All in the correct folders alongside the video files, ready for a backup just in case your Plex server goes down.
With our tool, if your Plex library ever does go down, it allows you to restore from backup using the NFO Meta agent as Primary and Plex Meta as secondary to rapidly restore your library exactly how you had it in seconds, connecting the dots.
It is released under GNUv3, Open Source, and free to use. It is still an Early release but doesn’t seem to have too many bugs.
Hopefully others will find it as useful as we have..
Any bugs, please post in the Issues section on GitHub.
Cheers ![]()