YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY
RESULTS NOT TYPICAL
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
NO WARRANTIES EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
BACK UP YOUR UNIVERSE BEFORE RESCANNING WITH THIS SCANNER
The writeup below is from the documentation (pdf) provided in the attached zip file. The document has a lot more information that may be useful, including information on how to install and use BABS.
BABS.zip (125 KB)
I've tested BABS on my anime collection and worked out some subtle issues I found as a result. There are probably a few things I haven't found yet, but I've got some really oddball filenames in a few places. If you find one, I might be inclined to fix it if life isn't too busy.
Big thanks to Raindancing for his absolute scanner, which gave me an important clue I needed to make BABS.
I set up Plex Media Server 0.9.3.5 (PMS) on an Ubuntu 10.04 box that is also my NAS so I could stream my media to a Roku box using the Roku channel version 1.4. I haven't been able to find anything else that can do that, so PMS is my solution. I've generally been pleased with the newest versions of PMS and the Roku channel so far. Huge thanks and kudos to everyone who worked on making this work.
There has been one fly in the ointment. I have a lot of series (TV shows) that are absolute numbered. This is common in the land of anime, where both fansubs and the shows themselves rarely number episodes in terms of seasons. You might get variant show names for different seasons, but TVDB doesn't handle that properly. Generally, the Plex Series Scanner (PSS) did an okay job of scanning my stuff in, except series with over 99 episodes, and series with numbers in the name like Galaxy Express 999 and 07-Ghost.
If an absolute numbered series has over 99 episodes, PSS will split it into seasons of 100 episodes. Which wouldn't be so bad, except episode 100 doesn't show up as episode 100, it shows up as episode 00. There was also some hinky stuff going on with metadata or possibly file matching for Season 2+. I didn't explore it too deeply. It was obvious PSS had hosed it up. I hypothesized I could rename everything use SxxExx, but that would be a lot of work and it would make it much harder to track what I had vs. what I didn't have.
I saw the absolute ordering scanner (tweaked, v2, no less) Raindancing posted on the forums (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/21625-absolute-order-agent/), but it didn't solve my problems. I also couldn't figure out how to install his agent (a plexapp file) in Linux.
I also had problems with series like Galaxy Express 999 and 07-Ghost. In the case of GE999, I saw one season (Season 9) and one episode (episode 99). Obvious what's going on there, right? 07-Ghost saw one episode. That's right, episode 7. So series with numbers in the name messed up the scanner. I could force the issue by renaming everything use SxxExx, but that would be a lot of work.
Posting on the forum got the usual, "Just name it all SxxExx," response, even though I'd made it clear that wasn't an option. I was further annoyed by the fact that the Plex wiki says Plex supports absolute ordering for series (right there in the Naming Guide, after the SxxExx and date-based naming sections). Well, since it wasn't working, it was time to dust off the little bit of Python I knew and read up on regular expressions (regexs) and figure out how PSS worked. I also looked at the absolute order scanner, which yielded a few valuable clues (thanks again to Raindancing).
The result of all this is a Better Absolute Scanner, or BABS for short. Corny, but I made it work, so I'm entitled to name it what I want. If the Plex guys want to take the ideas from this scanner and incorporate them into the PSS or an official absolute scanner, please do.
This still doesn't fix the fact that the TVDB agent doesn't know how to ask for absolute ordered data. I may get excited about that and see if it's in the Python somewhere and try to fix it too. Now that I know PMS keeps a copy of the base Plug-ins in /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins, I might be able to fake it out so it won't overwrite any code changes I might make.
**What Changed (Short Version)**
I added a bunch of print statements you'll only see if you run the scanner from the command line.
If you use a 3 or 4 digit number to designate season (as 1-2 digits) and episode (as 2 digits), this scanner will NOT read your numbers correctly. You'll need to renumber them absolute or SxxExx or put them in a separate section that uses a different scanner.
If you use a tag to designate the episode (e.g., Blah Blah Ep 234), the only tags this scanner will recognize are "ep" and "episode" (not case sensitive) before the episode number. If you were using something else, you'll need to change it to ep, or episode. Based on a quick check of TVDB, this change fixes more problems that it seems likely to create. The tag must be preceded by a separator or be the first thing in the file name.
If you have an absolute numbered series, and the series name is only a number with no words or other characters, BABS will not process an episode with the same number correctly.
For example, if you have a series named "24" and an episode file named "24_24.mkv", the scanner will not pick it up correctly. I recommend you rename the ONE problem episode to something like "24_ep24.mkv" instead.
If your series name has a number in the name, for example, Galaxy Express 999, be sure the containing folder name will match the series name in the file. For example, if the file is Galaxy_Express_999_01.mkv, you should name your folder Galaxy Express 999 or Galaxy_Express_999. If the name is GalaxyExpress999 - 01.mkv, name your folder GalaxyExpress999. CASE SENSITIVE.