Hello, Plex team,
This bug is already 3 months old. More and more users are complaining about.
1. First I have reported it on March 23rd. I thought it was related to HEVC and FLAC combination.
2. Now more people facing it here: forums.plex.tv/discussion/323240/2-10-4-4-70-just-broke-4k-on-my-xbox-one-x#latest
3. and here: forums.plex.tv/discussion/319867/all-4k-hevc-content-is-being-transcoded-why#latest
4. and here: forums.plex.tv/discussion/322847/4k-playback-direct-play-xbox-one-x#latest
5. and probably here: forums.plex.tv/discussion/319386/hdr-buffers-like-crazy-also-bitstreaming-hd-audio-is-still-needed#latest
6. and probably here: forums.plex.tv/discussion/304351/xbox-one-s-4k-hevc-ac3-direct-play-for-a-minute-then-override-transcode#latest
Resolution is very simple for those users:
1. Take MKV
2. Convert to MP4/AC3
3. Plex stops switching and never transcodes
Now the stupid bug forces Plex to switch to transcode instead of DirectPlay after 15-30secs. Theory of cause: transcode is probably initiated because of switching to DASH, why switching to DASH occurs nobody knows. When you take resolution steps with MP4, DASH is never used, but HTTP is used as it should be with MKV source.
Please address this issue. This is annoying issue and is ignored for several months now.