External HDD or Network Share on Nvidia Shield

server-nvidia-shield

So I have been reading the Limitations on nvidia shield WITH Plex Server and based on this link : https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/221099648-Limitations-When-Running-Plex-Media-Server-on-NVIDIA-SHIELD

Looks like all the content on both the external HDD or Network Storage will be Read-only , If I wanted to add more digital content how would I do this? Do I Have to unplug External HDD or Network Share every time I need to add new movies,music etc ???

Personally I use a NAS/Network Share. The Shield TV might only get read-only access to the mount but I just mount or access my NAS directly to my desktop and add, move, copy, delete, etc from there since my desktop will get read/write access to that mount.

You don't have to un-mount the network share on the Shield TV if you want to make changes to it from a different computer.

You do have to disconnect a USB attached drive, move it to your desktop, make your changes and then reconnect it back to the Shield TV.

I'm sure there are alternatives that would let you keep a USB drive attached and access it remotely but you'd likely need to root your Shield TV for that.

Another option if you have a capable router is to plug it into that and use SMB sharing if your router has such functionality then mount a permanent network share to your computer that you can transfer from. Transfer speeds will be slow but at least there's no unplugging.

danjames92's suggestion is what I do. My router has a ?USB3.0 port, so I connect my 4TB drive to that. I connect my PC to the drive over the network and am able to copy or download media directly to the drive. Then I just mount that drive to the Shield since it now allows you to mount network drives pretty easily, then tell Plex where on the drive my Libraries are. Other than the issues with how the Shield handles SMB (see the MANY threads about missing media and old items showing up as new items..), my only complaint with this method is that Plex won't automatically recognize changes and update the library, you have to do it manually. This is likely due to the same SMB issue causing missing media, though, since that has to do with how the Shield indexes SMB shares.

I think this was changed with one of the recent updates, but I can now read and write to any/all storage on my Shield over a network connection (enabled via the Shield's settings menu). It doesnt work well, like, torrent apps can neither download to storage on the Shield nor can they download locally then copy files to the Shield...but I can manually copy, paste, cut, delete, etc, over Network from my PC to the Shield without issue now.

Release notes for Android 7.0 update mention adding write capability to USB & SD card storage.

https://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-shield-tv/release-notes/1
Other Enhancements
* Added Pause/Play button functionality on the SHIELD remote by double-tapping on the volume slider.
* Added ability to write to attached USB or SD card storage.
* Added 4.1, 6.1, and 8.1 speaker configurations for Plex.
* Enabled cast for HBO GO.

I've recently purchased a SHIELD TV with the primary use being to play back device for 4K content to take the strain away fro my main Mac Mini Plex Server. I currently have 13TB worth of external HDD storage connected to my Mac. I was planning to have a seperate HDD just for 4K content. I could just connect this to my Mac and mount the drive on the SHIELD but could I connect the drive (USB) directly to the SHIELD but still be able to write files from my Mac to the drive?

@Uncleiven said:
I've recently purchased a SHIELD TV with the primary use being to play back device for 4K content to take the strain away fro my main Mac Mini Plex Server. I currently have 13TB worth of external HDD storage connected to my Mac. I was planning to have a seperate HDD just for 4K content. I could just connect this to my Mac and mount the drive on the SHIELD but could I connect the drive (USB) directly to the SHIELD but still be able to write files from my Mac to the drive?

As of the most recent update to Android 7.0, yes, you can write from your Mac over network to the HDD attached to the Shield over USB. I have trouble getting torrent apps to write to the Shield's external drive in this manner, but using Windows Explorer it works without issue, so manually transferring files using your Mac should work fine as well. The torrent app issue might just be on my end, so I cant make any assurances in regards to that.

How do you mount the drive on Mac OSX, does it show as a network drive within Finder or do you have to SMB to it?

I’ve just ordered a Raspberry Pi 3 and was wondering if I plugged an external HDD would that be fast enough to stream content? I currently use my NAS but it’s not on 24/7 for remote users. I thought I could sync external HDD data to NAS as a back up for my media.

this should help:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4172/~/how-do-i-share-shield-tv-folders-with-a-pc

“Second, go to Settings > Device > Storage & reset > SHIELD storage access > Over local network, to turn this feature on.
You’ll be presented with a user name and preset password that you can use on a networked PC to access SHIELD folders. Make sure your PC is on the same network as your SHIELD.”