[Feature Request] Import Music MP3 Ratings From Files ID3 tags

Hi Plex Team,

I recently purchased a lifetime Plexpass, thinking that is what I needed to get my Plex server to read my tags from my music collection. I was unhappy to find out that Plex does not appear to import music ratings from the tags. I have to use alternate tools (MediaMonkey or others) to tag and sync my music as I need my music portable and useable in other places. This means that my music is the source for all the important information, not a separate, proprietary, app specific database like the one Plex server uses.

As such, I am requesting that a one way sync of the ID3 ratings fields (there are 2 fields I believe???) be enabled for importing music ratings from files. The ratings should be (if possible) refreshed with every folder scan if possible, or via a different schedule if that is not possible.

Thanks much,

Wow...ok....no comments.....I guess I must be alone in this one.

No you are not alone on this, it seems like a no brainer feature to add, plex music should be able to import ratings from the music file id tag.

Plex team please answer this.

Has there been any resolution to this? I would also like to do the same thing. I was wondering whether I used Itunes and performed an import from Itunes whether that would work to transfer across the ratings?

I haven't gotten an answer yet. Perhaps I was misinformed, but I was told that Plex was a splinter from XBMC (now Kodi), and I have tested the Kodi Desktop, and it does in fact import ratings Tags from music....which makes me wonder why Plex does not. I have tried Emby Server as well, and it does not import tags either. For now, I am SOL on this, and I don't know why it is difficult. I searched these forums more in depth, and I find that the same request/question/comments are everywhere...."why can't this import music ratings?"

However, in your specific case, importing information from itunes should work, though I think you need a paid plex pass account (could be wrong) for the advanced music. It would only be a 1 way import as well.

For sure PLEX should be able import and update music (track) rating when this rating is changed by an authorized user. I've made some tests and it look like PLEX save the music rating somewhere under each user profile to let each one to rate its music as they like... Because PLEX is a multiusers apps, we may have some rating conflict to manage here. Any suggestions?

By the way, we cannot see any track/music rating on any PLEX CD list nor Playlist view... Like is was proposed here: forums.plex.tv/discussion/214716/feature-request-give-5-stars-to-our-musics-tracks-list-views

Maybe that there is an option to import ratings, then store local changes made in plex to the user accounts? How hard would that be to do?

Yeeeah, please add the 'rating tag' to Plex player please !!

i also think that would be a really essential feature. i have a huge music library with thousands of songs that i want to access on different devices with different players. the only way to keep my favorites synced is to use the embedded "rating tag" (apart from the "last.fm loved track tag" which isn't supported either) of the music files. if plex supported this tag that would help A LOT, because manually rating all music files in plex once again is really no solution... :-(

Having to manually re-rate thousands of tracks is not a lot of fun. That's a job for computers. Please, Plex, teach our plex servers to do that!

Hey Guys at Plex - it's 2017. It's about time Plex is recognizing the embedded ratings from mp3s.
This should be a no brainer for a software that plays my music - should it?
Why would I want to rate my 20.000 Songs again? I already did that - and guess what?
It works in Twonky and other serverside Software.

I have no idea why Plex cannot read id3 ratings tags. Can it seriously not? I am trying to figure out how to do this and I stumble on this.

Consider this another request, and admonishment for not doing something fundamental already.

As an update to anyone watching.....I have been waiting for more than a year now. In that time, I have continued to research the issue, and found no solution. Several tools exist that are supposed to edit the Plex Database...none of them I found to be trustworthy, or even work. If someone has a hack solution, please share!

I do understand the issue....Plex is designed to be multi user, and that makes file ratings a problem. Everyone likes different things. One user may rate a song 5 stars, another zero stars. To resolve that potential issue, why not add a new database field called something like a "source file rating", which is the embedded files star rating. That would allow users to create dynamic playlists from either their personal individual ratings, or the files source rating, or a combination. Everyone gets what they want.

@wbissell said:
As an update to anyone watching.....I have been waiting for more than a year now. In that time, I have continued to research the issue, and found no solution. Several tools exist that are supposed to edit the Plex Database...none of them I found to be trustworthy, or even work. If someone has a hack solution, please share!

I do understand the issue....Plex is designed to be multi user, and that makes file ratings a problem. Everyone likes different things. One user may rate a song 5 stars, another zero stars. To resolve that potential issue, why not add a new database field called something like a "source file rating", which is the embedded files star rating. That would allow users to create dynamic playlists from either their personal individual ratings, or the files source rating, or a combination. Everyone gets what they want.

Or just use the critic rating field which exists for movies and use it for that case. Enable file rating from tags to be imported as critic rating when using the local media agent and make that field search- and filterable.

Having some possibility to import file ratings from outside Plex would be a really essential feature for media browsing! :-/

take my vote for this feature.
All metadata including ratings should be stored in files to be able to use these data in several music software at the same time!
In user settings there should be an option like "allow write data to id3 tag" (disabled by default). To avoid conflicts just left this option enabled just for one user (e.g. admin user)

Given that (how I understand it) Plex uses it’s own separate database and generally tries to read metadata instead of amend files, would it be possible to set it to import from ID3 tags, but in doing so, it prevents songs from being rated inside Plex.

This would stop any mix up in ratings created from both plex and external programs (like MediaMonkey) and allow external programs to be the source of new ratings.

This could be a 1 time import operation, or a toggle, that then re-enables new ratings within plex and disables new ratings imports from external programs (aka ID3 tags).

You’re effectively asking the user to choose one program or the other to be the source of new ratings, but that’s still better than it is now, where you’re asking them to choose one program or the other to play the music.

Or you could read current ratings from the ID3 tags and then write any new ratings to the ID3 tags, but as I understand Plex’s general policy, (and stated at the top), I don’t believe that’s an avenue Plex is willing to entertain.

This issue has been bugging me for quite some time now. Finally I have a little spare time to tackle it. I started writing a simple Python tool. You can find the source code here on GitHub.

It queries the Media Monkey scripting interface to read the ratings. Also I use the python plex-api to connect and query a Plex Server.

Currently I am unable to update the ratings on the Plex server because I don’t know the API endpoints. I hope the guys from Plex can help us out here! The code is set up to easily integrate the iTunes scripting interface as well. A playlist sync is also on the roadmap. Currently I focus on a 1-directional sync (push). Later, bi-directional sync would be great as well. Any contibutions are welcome!!!

A few remarks:
Why does PLEX not import the ID3 ratings? I was wondering about this for quite some time. After all, it is quite annoying. However if you think about the platform they build it makes sense. Plex is a multi-user media center. So if it would read the ratings from the files, all users would be tied to the ratings the server hoster gave to his songs. Implementing a user-friendly way to import those ratings is not quite trivial.

This issue is also related to Music Metadata Syncronisation and Import playlists and rating from MEDIA MONKEY?.

This is great news, I really hope you can get some help regarding the PLEX endpoints.

Disclaimer: my coding is only good to a pseudo level, so sadly I’m not the one to write any of it.

But, just a thought regarding matching the files from MediaMonkey to ones in PLEX. You’re matching files that have the same track title,
artist, album etc. Is there a possibility that the same file could have different track title, artist, album in the two programs databases, because of the way they independently match files?

Possibly the (or an alternative) way to match the tracks, would be with the relative path and filename, possibly even with the absolute path.

I’m sure you’d know best though.

So with the current version you are already able to match. However your assumption is correct. Somehow not all tracks find a corresponding match. I didn’t dive into this yet, but your suggestions are great! :smile: will try it out soon.

Regarding feedback from Plex: there is no way to contact them via email. The only hope to get help is via this forum. Or did I miss something?
Maybe tagging the master chief helps? @elan :smiley:

By the way I just realized how this forum expects to express interest in a feature request:
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/163135/if-you-are-just-adding-1-posts-you-arent-voting/latest

So please all like the first post by @wbissell in this thread!