Hold out for HDR/Atmos/DTS:X on XBox One S or just buy an Nvidia Shield?

xbox-one

Hold out for HDR/Atmos/DTS:X on XBox One S or just buy an Nvidia Shield?

I own an XBox One S and the plex app was recently updated, but as of yet it still transcodes anything with a HD audio codec attached.

It also doesn't play HDR on 4K content meaning andy 4K HDR content looks washed out.

I currently use PMP though windows 10 as my main media player, but apparently that is a no go for HDR also, even if I upgrade to an appropriate graphics card.

Now I know that the Nvidia Shield will play everything you throw at it. So my question is, do I wait it out another while in the hope the XBox app gets updated to support everything in the same way as the shield or do I just bite the bullet an purchase the shield?

Opinions.

I fully agree, when will we have the HDR handled by Plex Xbox One?

I too am waiting for Plex to properly play HVEC and Atmos without transcoding.
The Xbox One S can do it as it play my UHD perfect so why can’t Plex pass those formats through like the Disc player app?

@meathead88 said:
The Xbox One S can do it as it play my UHD perfect so why can’t Plex pass those formats through like the Disc player app?

In fairness Microsoft only opened up those features to third party apps recently and plex needed to port onto a new platform. Where the unknown is for me (and the reason I started this thread), is there is no apparent timeline to implement these features.

I just returned my Shield TV and got a One S because Shield’s Netflix app won’t do Atmos. I had no clue that the Plex app on Xbox doesn’t even support HDR. That’s ridiculous. I can’t return it because I already used the included game download code. Ugh. Timeline? Anyone?

I believe @Moussa said that these things are being looked at.

@morpheus2n2 said:
I believe @Moussa said that these things are being looked at.

I’ve seen this mentioned. What we don’t actually have is a definitive product road map and/or estimated delivery dates for these features. I could then make an informed decision about whether to buy a shield or not if I knew when/if we can roughly expect these features on the Xbox One S.

What TV do you have? I just got a new LG and my friend told me to test out Xplay and holy ■■■■ is it awesome. Not sure how much it costs but certainly less than a shield. It’s going to be my solution until/if xbox app gets a proper update

UHD discs look perfect playing from my XBOX One S. My setup fully supports all the latest audio and video specs. All my cables also fully support all specs.
I have the UHD discs working very awesome, HDR and Atmos, almost A/V heaven.
Just waiting for Plex to add support and I’ll never leave the house again.

Can someone from Plex give us some information please? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi

I got an Xbox one X with Plex and exactly like you guys no HDR on playback but if you use the Film & TV app from Xbox.
When you launch the movie, the TV will show the logo HDR but I’m having an issue selecting the audio stream.
Anyone got a word from Plex being able to watch movie in HDR?

I would like to know if it’s possible on the XBOX One X app to disable the upscaling in 4K?
I intend to watch 1080p movies in 1080p/24 instead of having to watch a bad upscaling without frame interpolation on my projector.
It would be great if someone had the solution, maybe I missed something in the settings.
For the record, I also use a ShieldTV to playback anything from 720p to 4K and it works really without any upscaling.

@ShieldKino said:
I would like to know if it’s possible on the XBOX One X app to disable the upscaling in 4K?
I intend to watch 1080p movies in 1080p/24 instead of having to watch a bad upscaling without frame interpolation on my projector.
It would be great if someone had the solution, maybe I missed something in the settings.
For the record, I also use a ShieldTV to playback anything from 720p to 4K and it works really without any upscaling.

Way to hijack a thread. Please start a new thread.

I have both the Nvidia Shield and the Xbox One X. I don’t like switching between the two consoles but I use the Nvidia Shield for Plex and it direct plays everything I throw at it. I will patiently wait once the Xbox One Plex app is on par with the Nivida Shield, if it ever is. It’s great they finally gave it some love after such a long time though. Ya’ll need to stop tripping and just buy the Nivida Shield ($150) and just wait it out if you can’t stand the Xbox not supporting what you need. Be grateful and understand it takes a lot of development hours to support as many devices as Plex does.

@derekrascon said:
I have both the Nvidia Shield and the Xbox One X. I don’t like switching between the two consoles but I use the Nvidia Shield for Plex and it direct plays everything I throw at it. I will patiently wait once the Xbox One Plex app is on par with the Nivida Shield, if it ever is. It’s great they finally gave it some love after such a long time though. Ya’ll need to stop tripping and just buy the Nivida Shield ($150) and just wait it out if you can’t stand the Xbox not supporting what you need. Be grateful and understand it takes a lot of development hours to support as many devices as Plex does.

Does the shield play HDR HVEC video while bitstreaming an included Atmos sound track without transcoding?
I’m seeing that Plex on the Shield still asks for a transcoded audio track if it see Atmos.

I haven’t tried HDR but HEVC and Atmos have worked for me.

@derekrascon said:
I haven’t tried HDR but HEVC and Atmos have worked for me.

Cool, good to know!

@derekrascon said:

While I appreciate their work, I’m also a customer who would like feedback on this major issue. I don’t understand how a 3rd party app(xplay) works better than a 1st party offering.

Not only Plex players have to handle HDR but the OS too. Android, Windows 10 with Creator Update are handling OS, so PLEX should start by the corresponding players.

Any word devs?

@meathead88 said:

I too would like this.