Incorrect Airdates Populated

I have recently added The Vampire Diaries and The Originals to my catalogue of shows.
I wanted to set up a smart playlist to watch them in the airdate order as I know there are crossovers characters or just story lines. The TVDB lists (what I am assuming) correct airdates as they appear to be separated weekly.

However, Plex has shown them with an annual airdate, all episodes of the season airing the 28th May on each year the new season began.

Is there a way to fix this?

Was this show actually matched to TheTVDB?
To verify this, take a look at the guid="... property in the Plex XML info of episode 1.


Do you have mp4/m4v files? They could have embedded meta tags which override the airdate from TheTVDB.
To prevent this, do the following:
Go to

  • Settings - Server - Agents - Shows - TheTVDB

In there, grab the line ‘Local Media Assets’ with your mouse and drag it downwards, so it ends up being at the bottom of the stack of active agents.
Repeat the same under

  • Settings - Server - Agents - Shows - TheMovieDatabase
  • Settings - Server - Agents - Movies - Plex Movie
  • Settings - Server - Agents - Movies - TheMovieDatabase

Afterwards, “Refresh Metadata” of the whole show.

Yes, the guid was correct… I knew how to check that one.

It was the Local Media Assets side causing the problem. I did as you suggested and it fixed it right up.

Thank you for the quick and painless resolution.