Is Rasplex Dead?

rasplex

Just a quick question: Is Rasplex no longer being maintained? The last update was 10 months ago I believe.

Sorry if I'm overlooking something. Just curious.

Thanks!

It certainly makes me wonder to im currently using PLEX for kodi. I Don't think the skin devs are currently active either

It's dead...

As long as it works, it's alive.

Anyone recommend a decent alternative?

@Nibb31 said:
As long as it works, it's alive.

I tend to agree.

@ClubLife said:
Anyone recommend a decent alternative?

yes I second this question - I really need something with live tv and movies to make my wife ... less grumpy lol

My main reason for choosing the rasplex was to boot right into the media server in my media room. For other TV's you don't really need Rasplex if you have a SmartTV with a plex app. A couple of my newer Sony's recognize the HD Homerun immediately and have the plex app too, they work fine. Roku/Fire TV are other options. I haven't tested them I am sure there are more. I will ditch rasplex as soon as I find the right solution for my media room if Live TV/DVR isn't added soon. Oh well.

@kwburks22 said:
My main reason for choosing the rasplex was to boot right into the media server in my media room.

You can try a LibreElec/Kodi image with the Plex for Kodi plugin, it has an option to boot straight into the Plex plugin.

I have a feeling Rasplex is less supported due to the Fact that tv's are now 4K and the pi not supporting this format. Its only the matter of time that Rasplex will be ditched until other devices come along that support the format and Rasplex

On that note.... Please wake me up when someone with a screen size below 85 inches can ACTUALLY see the difference between 1080p and 4k. lol

Also, 4k will all but assuredly be supported on the next pi hardware no?

Im not sure. But i cannot understand why the Devs have gone quiet for sometime now even the Skin Devs have not done nothing in quite a while

@nicknack35 @DaveGee66
sorry to bump into this conversation but I was just planning to buy a new TV and would like to continues using my rasplex on a Pi3+. All my sources are Full HD but the new TV will be 4k (not that I need 4k but there are hardly any Full HD TVs around anymore) - does this mean I can't continue using rasplex?

Any links to shed light on this matter?

@ovizii said:
@nicknack35 @DaveGee66
sorry to bump into this conversation but I was just planning to buy a new TV and would like to continues using my rasplex on a Pi3+. All my sources are Full HD but the new TV will be 4k (not that I need 4k but there are hardly any Full HD TVs around anymore) - does this mean I can't continue using rasplex?

Any links to shed light on this matter?

can i ask why the rasplex wont keep working? it will do what it's currently doing fine. The hardware at moment really wont allow for it to do much more even with the new update on the horizon.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/321266/is-this-project-dead#latest

I think I've figured things out now. Apparently the current pi can't output 4k due to CPU limitations so it will only output full HD. So if I have a 4k TV it will simply upscale it.

@cossack1977 said:
can i ask why the rasplex wont keep working? it will do what it's currently doing fine. The hardware at moment really wont allow for it to do much more even with the new update on the horizon.

As features and technology advances on the back/server end, the spread between the server and client will grow and problems can arise. Already, we see features (like collections) just not work for Rasplex users. At worst, we could see things fall apart completely if the server ultimately changes to require certain new client features only available in newer client code.

@ovizii said:
I think I've figured things out now. Apparently the current pi can't output 4k due to CPU limitations so it will only output full HD. So if I have a 4k TV it will simply upscale it.

If your TV up scales then that's correct. When it comes to the PI it is very behind the times in hardware. No 265 hardware decoding, no HDR, no 10bit. But in saying that it is a super cheap SBC. There are other SBC that will allow 4k@60, HDR, 10bit but they dont run rasplex and you will have to mess around a lot more getting them up and running. Nvidia Shield is still probably the best way to go for Plex and 4k but it's 10 times the price of a PI.