Is there a "Genre Cleaner" type plugin for Plex?

In Emby there is a plugin called "Genre Cleaner" that takes diverse genera tags and maps them, as the user chooses, to a smaller, more sensible, set.

As example it can take "Romance" and "animation" and "Family" and map them all to "Drama". BTW: I use "Drama" as a catchall for genera that I do not want to have separate. It also can map "Science Fiction" to "Sci-Fi" so that there is only one category for science fiction movies.

My question is: Does Plex have a similar plugin that hopefully is easy to use and simple to set up?

There is not, but I think it is a good idea.
I have filed an enhancement request.

@OttoKerner said:
There is not, but I think it is a good idea.
I have filed an enhancement request.

Yes, it is one of the things I miss most about Emby. It made using Emby and it would make using Plex MUCH more pleasant. When browsing my libraries it is nice to see only those genera that are meaningful for me.

I hope the “enhancement” happens in the not too distant future. But I will not hold my breath waiting.

One more thing: The Emby plugin actually modifies the labels in whatever support file contains such info. That means that the only change is at the server level so that the clients do not incur any additional overhead.

Thanks for the response!

There’s the Tidy Genres agent. By the looks of it this should still work, but I’ll check it out ASAP and report back.