Library Scan Causes Media To Flicker

Server Version#: 1.24.5.5173
Player Version#: 1.24.5.5173

A few minutes ago I had Plex open on a Chromecast w/ Google TV and the home screen was “flickering”. All items on the home screen would flash several times per second. I went to my PC and opened Plex and noticed it was doing the exact same thing. I also noticed that a library scan was taking place. As soon as the scan stopped the issue went away.

Here’s a short video of the issue:

http://dbowles1975.freeddns.org:8887/20211106_020014.mp4

I cannot reproduce that. Can you click on that activities icon and see what’s going on. Is it just scanning or is it also doing something else?

It was just scanning. At that time it was scanning the television library. I was looking at alerts as it was happening and it didn’t show anything out of the ordinary.

I can’t force it to happen, either. It happens on its own. I’ve seen it happen at least a half dozen times in the last few weeks.

Do you have your PMS logs from when this happened?

Plex Media Server.5.log (3.0 MB)

I always forget to look at the logs. It appears Plex wasn’t able to see the library it was scanning at the time because of “insufficient resources”. I also remember having a similar error when trying to access the same share in Windows Explorer. Checking task manager I noticed that Plex had very high CPU usage. I quit Plex and was able to access the share normally.

Yeah, looks like you possibly ran out of memory. YMMV when that happens.