No luck setting up with ATV3

plexconnect

HI all,

I've been reading through this thread but I'm still stuck. I can see (I think) that ATV is trying to connect through PlexConnect, but I'm not seeing anything actually come through on the ATV. i.e. it's stuck with only two icons on the homescreen.

I have setup the certificate and the ATV is set to the ip of PMS (192.168.0.205).

Any advice would be great. Plex is running fine on the server, I can connect to it from other PCs on the network and I can also connect via my devices. Except ATV of course.

Settings looks like this:

[PlexConnect]
enable_plexgdm = False
ip_pms = 192.168.0.250 <- PMS IP (static)
port_pms = 32400
enable_dnsserver = True
port_dnsserver = 53
ip_dnsmaster = 192.168.0.1 <- router IP
prevent_atv_update = True
enable_plexconnect_autodetect = False
ip_plexconnect = 192.168.0.250 <- PMS IP (static)
hosttointercept = trailers.apple.com
port_webserver = 80
enable_webserver_ssl = True
port_ssl = 443
certfile = ./assets/certificates/trailers.pem
allow_gzip_atv = False
allow_gzip_pmslocal = False
allow_gzip_pmsremote = True
loglevel = High
logpath = .

“I have setup the certificate and the ATV is set to the ip of PMS (192.168.0.205).”

I’m not sure what you mean but you only need to change the appletv DNS, and that is supposed to point to your Plexconnect, not your PMS, unless you run both on the same computer.

How did you set up plex? Platform and which guide did you use?

Sorry - I missed that part out in my original post.

PMS and Plexconnect are both setup on the same computer. I used the official guide from here: https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/wiki/Install-Guide

Running on Windows 10.

Did you install the certificate on the appletv?

Your appletv is connecting alright.

Windows firewall?

Yes, certificate is definitely on the apple tv.

Don’t think it’s a firewall issue - to test I temporarily disabled the firewall and I’m still not getting anything showing on the apple tv (i.e. still stuck with two icons).

Out of interest, setting the certificate up on the atv just sits there when I enter it as suggested, i.e. trailers.apple.com/trailers.cer, but setting it to the PlexConnect IP address works much better, i.e. 192.168.0.250/trailers.cer

Yes… The DNS mask is not working, but you have no errors in your PlexConnect log.

I have setup the certificate and the ATV is set to the ip of PMS (192.168.0.205). <- This is a typO ? you ment 250?

Please try and start a new plexconnect without touching a config. (Setting pm ip, dns master etc).

When you restart the ATV and you only see two apps, this is a problem with DNS. In this case, given the supplied info, I would say that ip_dnsmaster = 192.168.0.1 is the cause of the problem. Can you pls try with ip_dnsmaster = 8.8.8.8 instead ?

I have setup the certificate and the ATV is set to the ip of PMS (192.168.0.205) could also be the cause of this problem because the correct IP address to put in DNS is 192.168.0.250 but as I see DNS requests in the PlexConnect log I assume that this was a typo.

Thanks @moody_blue - that DNS change is certainly an improvement. And you (and @izznogooood ) are both correct about my typo in the first post.

My issue now is that, although my TV shows library seems to be working, I can’t seem to get into my movies. It sits on the ATV saying “accessing trailers”, then after a couple of minutes it comes back with this in PlexConnect:

Jan 08,2018 11:22:49 WebServer: serving .xml: /library/sections/1/all
Jan 08,2018 11:24:29 WebServer: File Not Found:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PlexConnect-master\WebServer.py”, line 230, in do_GET
self.sendResponse(XML, ‘text/xml’, True)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PlexConnect-master\WebServer.py”, line 92, in sendResponse
self.end_headers()
File “C:\Python27\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py”, line 423, in end_headers
self.wfile.write("
")
File “C:\Python27\lib\socket.py”, line 328, in write
self.flush()
File “C:\Python27\lib\socket.py”, line 307, in flush
self._sock.sendall(view[write_offset:write_offset+buffer_size])
error: [Errno 10053] An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine

Exception happened during processing of request from (‘192.168.0.5’, 49367)
File “C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py”, line 596, in process_request_thread
self.finish_request(request, client_address)
File “C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py”, line 331, in finish_request
self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
File “C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py”, line 654, in init
self.finish()
File “C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py”, line 713, in finish
self.wfile.close()
File “C:\Python27\lib\socket.py”, line 283, in close
self.flush()
error: [Errno 10053] An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine

See Q7 in FAQ

Thanks @moody_blue .

I’ve already set up an allowed IP range, and it seems to be working fine for TV Shows. Just not for movies.

So at this stage:
TV Shows - working fine
Movies - giving me an error

Jan 08,2018 12:12:59 WebServer: serving .xml: /library/sections/1/all
Jan 08,2018 12:14:39 WebServer: File Not Found:
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PlexConnect-master\WebServer.py”, line 230, in do_GET
self.sendResponse(XML, ‘text/xml’, True)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PlexConnect-master\WebServer.py”, line 92, in sendResponse
self.end_headers()
File “C:\Python27\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py”, line 423, in end_headers
self.wfile.write("
")
File “C:\Python27\lib\socket.py”, line 328, in write
self.flush()

Exception happened during processing of request from (‘192.168.0.5’, 49491)
File “C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py”, line 596, in process_request_thread
self.finish_request(request, client_address)
File “C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py”, line 331, in finish_request
self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
File “C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py”, line 654, in init
self.finish()
File “C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py”, line 713, in finish
self.wfile.close()
File “C:\Python27\lib\socket.py”, line 283, in close
self.flush()

Okay. I just did a test setting up a movies library with only a single movie in it. This works well, so I’m thinking I must have too many movies for PlexConnect to handle perhaps? FYI I just counted and there are 235.

So I’ll try culling my list down a bit and see where that gets me.

Thanks to all for your help here.

A large library will take more time to generate the thumbnails, but apart of this I do not see why it shouldn’t work. If the library / film works in another client (such as PlexWeb) then it should work in PlexConnect, although with different transcoding decision criteria.

@Agrajag : Which version of python do you have installed?

@moody_blue : I thought ip_dnsmaster = 8.8.8.8 was a default setting?

@moody_blue : It really looks like it was timing out when I had a larger library. I’ve cut it back to ~30 movies now and it’s working okay, if a little slow to move between screens. This is slow in both Movies and TV Shows

@izznogooood : I’m running Python 2.7.14

I had this issue before, what I ended up doing was recreate my movie library. And I have 300+ movies. So it should not matter how many, but you will loose your meta (watched, unwatched etc).
I think this is a change is the plex API between versions, rather than a plexconnect issue…

Quite possible… btw I have over 600 and plexconnect is fine with it. Running latest PMS 1.10.1.4062

Oi Ve what a pain, The original issue has to do with 1) You either don’t have the Profile installed or 2) Your DNS is not pointing to the IP address of the Plex Server in which you have Plexconnect running. It’s not that dire of an issue really. One thing I have wondered, is the Certificate that I created on one PC going to work with a different PC? I have a Windows 7 system that I messed up yesterday, so I moved the server into a Windows 10 system and it’s working, although not as good as when it was on Windows 7. Actually, I’m running the script on my Windows 7 Laptop, and not on my Windows 10 machine at all. So it appears that I don’t have to recreate my Certificate any time soon.

Looks like these issues have been tossed back and forth by experts, so I can’t really add anything but simply “make sure your DNS is pointing to the IP of your Server”. To do this, I always set AUTO for my ATV3 network settings, then I hit “Manual” for the DNS entry and enter my Main PC’s IP. Which is usually 10.0.1.6 on my Airport.

I’ve got another Plex server installed into my Laptop which I like to use, it’s a faster Intel chip and plays the MKV files better. I usualy run them both together, I’ve been able to access my servers when out of town which is a plus.

But my Issue today was that my Script crashed and after I rebooted the server, I had NO servers showing up in PlexConnect on the ATV3. I read through here, and I tried restarting the script a dozen times, no soap. Finally, I just logged out of my Plex User on the ATV3 and logged back in, then Blammo, my two servers showed up and I can finish binge watching what I was bingewatching.

I’m so glad that people have kept PC alive, it’s a feeling of accomplishment when I follow the instructions and I can play my Plex on my ATV. I’m glad that there are people in here that post and I can usually find a solution to some bug. Sooner or Later I’ll get an ATV4 and I won’t have to use PC, but until then, this is all I got.

I had about 600+ moovies and maybe 40 full TV shows loaded up in my main server, but I was dicking with trying to delete a nag-program that is part of NOD32, turns out if you delete the EXE file, it prevents your system from booting. So now I’m stuck on Windows 10 with it’s even more Meganagscreens until I can rebuild my server into a new Dell Optiplex i5 I just got. For now, I just copied the main storage and I;'ve got maybe 200 movies and 9 TV shows, it’s always a pain when I have to rebuild my Server, cos sometimes my Media is not detected, or it will detect as something else and I have to go and find it.

@XweAponX cert files can be copied accross systems, and even between different platforms (windows, linux, osx, …). When moving PlexConnect from one machine to another don’t forget to copy certificates, otherwise you will need to generate new ones and load them in the ATV (after removing existing certs).

@moody_blue said:
@XweAponX cert files can be copied accross systems, and even between different platforms (windows, linux, osx, …). When moving PlexConnect from one machine to another don’t forget to copy certificates, otherwise you will need to generate new ones and load them in the ATV (after removing existing certs).

Thanks. I just set up a new server and I just simply copied the entire Plex connect folder after I installed python 2.7.8, which was the version that I initially used. I simply start it by clicking on the link I copied to the PY file onto the desktop. I used to have it set up to start as a service on the old machine, but I can’t remember how I did that. I suppose I can just create a task that starts the Plexconnect.PY I didn’t have much luck with a new were version of python when I initially set up Plex connect and so 2.7.8 has been working great. But so far is this question with the certificate that I wasn’t sure if I was doing right, i’ve had the server running on one machine with two different operating systems, a laptop, and a new Dell Optiplex workstation I just set up with Windows 7 x64, I was originally running the 32-bit version.

But you’re saying that the certificate files have to be in the Plex connect folder? Since I copied the folder exactly they should all be in there.

I have been running this on windows 10 for the last couple of weeks because my original window seven server blew out, I can’t get it to boot anymore. One thing I noticed is that when Plex connect is running on windows 10, it looks a lot different on the Apple TV, it’s more of a graphical interface. And it looks that way when I run it from my laptop, but that’s also Windows 7 64-bit. I kind of like the new interface but so far I don’t have any control over which interface shows on my Apple TV.