Not Authorized Error on Replacement of Failed Server

Server Version#: 1.43.0.10492-121068a07

Player Version#: None

I’m at a loss. I had Plex installed through a TrueNAS server that I wasn’t doing much with and the hard drive failed that held all the apps. I figured I would just wipe it and install Ubuntu 24.04 since I am familiar with that. The hard drive is new. Plex is installed through their repo. I have everything installed, but every time I try to go into the ipaddress:32400/web to claim the server it says that I am not authorized. I went through the support document that Plex provides for that, but it didn’t work. Originally the IP address was the same as the last server, and I thought that was the issue. I changed the IP address, but the issue persisted.

I have tried opening the page in incognito and normally. I tried deleting the Preferences.xml file while the Plex service is stoped and then restarting it. Nothing works. I’m not sure where to go next.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Try User Credential Reset utility.

Thank you for your suggestion. I’m a little leery when it comes to running scripts, so I went through the script to see what would apply to my server. This was a huge help. The issue I think I had was one of two things. I’m not sure which solved it since I tried both options at the same time. Sorry!

  1. I changed the Preferences.xml to allow the subnet that my computer is on. This is a different subnet than what the server is on, but I have allowed this computer to traverse to that subnet.
  2. After the change, Plex was still requiring me to sign in using my log in, every time it did this I would get the not authorized error, I saw an option I didn’t see before that said skip. I clicked skip and it allowed me to set up the server, but not claim it. Once it was set up and started importing my media, I claimed it and it is working now.

Thank you again for the help! I really appreciate it. It helped me get to the steps I needed to fix this very frustrating issue.

Glad you’re up and running.

For future reference, and anyone else running across this thread…

User Credential Reset Utility

ChuckPa is a former long time Plex team member (contract employee). He retired at the end of February. His User Credential Reset and DBRepair for Plex Media Server are widely used. Have no worries about using either.

Claiming

Plex supports RFC-1918 addressing for private networks. If a server is on a public network, it can still be claimed, but extra steps must be taken (this may not apply to your situation, mentioning it for completeness).

Also, claim a server, you must be on the same subnet as the server, even if using RFC-1918 addressing. If not, then extra steps are needed.

Extra Steps: Use a SSH Tunnel to appear local to the server. Plex Docs → Plex Media Server → Installation

Alternate Next Steps: The User Credential Reset utility. You can claim the server without being local.