Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2017) Discontinued

server-nvidia-shield

I finished a chat yesterday with Nvidia about the Nvidia Shield TV Pro being out of stock at amazon.ca for two months. They said it is discontinued, but that the 16 GB model will still be made. Here is the chat.

[02:57:12 PM]Hi, my name is Sen. How may I help you?
[02:58:21 PM]James Elliott: Hi, Sen. I am trying to order an Nvidia Shield Pro from Amazon.ca (I am in Canada). Amazon.ca doesn't have any in stock, however, and hasn't for almost two months. Do you know why this is?
[02:58:44 PM]Sen: Please be assured that I will do my best to help you or point you to the right direction.
[02:58:51 PM]James Elliott: Thank you.
[03:00:10 PM]Sen: Please give me some time to check this
[03:01:16 PM]James Elliott: No problem.
[03:03:16 PM]Sen: Thank You for your patience
[03:03:48 PM]Sen: Unfortunately SHIELD TV Pro is End of Life. Which means we have stopped manufacturing this.
[03:05:33 PM]Sen: It is still available in this web-link ( as long as they have the stock) :

http://www.canadacomputers.com/wishlist.php
[03:11:23 PM]James Elliott: How could that be? It was only introduced in 2017.
[03:11:37 PM]James Elliott: Is Nvidia planning on making a new version of the Shield?
[03:11:59 PM]Sen: As per the information we have, we have stopped manufacturing this for future
[03:11:58 PM]James Elliott: Has the regular Nvidia Shield TV (16 GB) also been discontinued?
[03:12:33 PM]Sen: No, regular SHIELD TV 16 GB will be available. No plan to discontinue it in future
[03:13:35 PM]James Elliott: Can you find out for me what led to the decision to discontinue the Shield Pro?
[03:14:14 PM]Sen: Let me check
[03:14:21 PM]James Elliott: Thank you.
[03:14:29 PM]Sen: You are welcome
[03:24:12 PM]James Elliott: What have you learned?
[03:24:45 PM]Sen: We do not have any information why NVIDIA has stopped manufacturing SHIELD TV Pro
[03:25:40 PM]James Elliott: You talk as if Nvidia is some third party. You are Nvidia.
[03:25:46 PM]James Elliott: How could you not know why?
[03:27:11 PM]Sen: We are NVIDIA Support agent, these information should be with NVIDIA developers. We do not have that information or access to that.
[03:27:34 PM]James Elliott: Okay, so how do I contact the developers?
[03:29:22 PM]Sen: Give me some time to discuss with other experts here
[03:31:08 PM]James Elliott: No problem.
[03:35:31 PM]Sen: Thank You for your patience
[03:36:12 PM]Sen: Here we do not have that information. So I have to escalate this case to higher level of support. They will read the entire chat script and get back to you through email in 24-48 hours.
[03:38:58 PM]James Elliott: What is the chat ID for this chat?
[03:40:30 PM]Sen: 180131-000728
[03:41:40 PM]James Elliott: Has the remote control that came with the Shield TV Pro also been discontinued? It is my understanding that the Shield TV and Shield TV Pro come with slightly different remote controls.
[03:42:35 PM]Sen: Remote Control is not discontinued
[03:43:06 PM]Sen: You are right, both are different and both are and will be in production
[03:44:13 PM]James Elliott: So, one of your higher support agents will email me back within a day or two about the discontinuation of the Pro?
[03:44:48 PM]Sen: Yes

The good news is NVIDIA posted that they are working on getting ability to put PLEX library files on adopted storage, making the 16GB version with some attached storage a good option.

Too bad they removed the sd slot on the 2017 shield. Be nice if they made a 128 gig internal version.
You can order it directly from nvidia.

Where did Nvidia post this?

@bradleychambers said:

It looks like the OP has spoken to Nvidia customer service & got the info from there. Its been posted on Nvidia’s site too & the devs/mods there haven’t shut it down saying its false… So I guess it is what it is…

With Adoptive storage becoming more popular & with Plex & Nvidia devs saying their looking to allow us to move large Plex installs to adoptive storage, Im willing to bet they have given up on 500GB pro. Up until recently, Plex & Nvidia devs would advise you to get a 500GB model & show you the limitations of Plex on a 16GB model, But now say their looking at ways to allow us to move Plex PMS to adoptive storage. I’d say the 500GB pro is dead.

Im not 100% sure on this, But I believe at the time the Nvidia Shield Tv released, There was no adoptive storage & no way to expand the internal storage for apps/games/PMS, & that was the main reason to sell a 500GB model. With adoptive storage being a thing you can add to your device, & more & more people realising this, The 16GB model is a much better deal = selling much, Much more than 500GB ever will.

Agreed! It also boots faster from what I understand. I have the 500 GB model, but barely using any of it outside of the plex database.

@bradleychambers said:

I clearly said at the beginning of the thread that I chatted with Nvidia.

@“jim.elliott14” said:

@bradleychambers said:

Jim, sorry. I mean’t where did they say they were working on the adopted storage thing

@bradleychambers said:

@“jim.elliott14” said:

@bradleychambers said:

Jim, sorry. I mean’t where did they say they were working on the adopted storage thing

Post #16 in the 6.3 thread NVIDIA Shield RV Forums:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1035836/shield-tv/shield-experience-upgrade-6-3-for-shield-tv-released-1-31-2018-/2/

sniper said:

ahiguero said:
can anybosdy confirm if this update allows plex to move its metadata to the adopted >>storage?

That’s not in this update, but is in the works and coming soon.
Posted 01/31/2018 08:08 PM

So for those getting a new Shield, we should not purchase the Pro 500GB model then?

Been waiting since beginning of January for my Pro…

@audiomixer said:
Too bad they removed the sd slot on the 2017 shield. Be nice if they made a 128 gig internal version.
You can order it directly from nvidia.

You can get a USB 3.0 128GB key … so while not as nice as a SD card slot, it’s not too dire.

@Enkidu78 said:
Been waiting since beginning of January for my Pro…

I wasted 6 weeks waiting for the pro version to materialize. Why cant companies just tell us that they have stopped making them?

However the silver lining is that i now have a rooted 16gb version with 128gb flash drive running plex beautifully . . and several £ in my pocket.

When do people think “soon” might be? I’m about to buy a 16GB Shield TV, but I might hold off until it’s able to fully meet my needs.

I also wanted to buy one for myself BUT as per latest rumors Google is working on own streaming TV console that will be announced at I/O 2018 in may. Also 100 points question - is Nvidia planning to relase 2018 version of Shield? What to do???

Bummer. The nice thing about the Pro (which I have) is the IR remote support so you can do more /wrt to automation. AFAIK the non-pro unit does not have IR.