Plex DVR Recordings using HDHomeRun Extend Periodic Pixelation / Skipping / Audio Out of Sync

server-nvidia-shield

I have the Nvidia Shield 2017 16GB version with a 128GB USB drive attached and setup as adoptable storage. I have an 8TB USB 3 Drive where my Plex Library lives attached. I have great quality watching HDHomeRun Extend using Plex live TV and HDHomeRun Viewer on my Windows 10 PCs and on the Shield. Whenever a Plex DVR recording plays back on windows client or Nvidia shield, I see periodic pixelation and skipping in the recordings. Once the skipping occurs, audio then is out of sync with the video. The HDHomeRun firmware I am using is the latest 20170815 version. I am a Plex beta tester and seems like taking the latest PMS on the Shield has not fixed any of my problems.

I have checked the signal quality of the OTA channels HDHomeRun Extend is receiving and all looks good (100% signal). I am suspicious the Plex DVR on the shield is not quite keeping up or failing somewhere during recording, however not quite sure how to debug. I have my HDHomeRun Extend Default Transcode Profile set to 'none'. The Plex DVR Transcoder Quality settings is set to 'Highest Quality'.

An example of the type of recordings having playback issue saved by PMS have the following characteristics:

Video Resolution 1080p
Duration 2:00:59
Bitrate 8913 kbps
Width 1920
Height 1080
Aspect Ratio 1.78
Container MPEGTS
Video Frame Rate NTSC
Web Optimized No
Origin dvr
Video Profile high
Part

Duration 2:00:59
File xxx
Size 7.53 GB
Container MPEGTS
Web Optimized No
Packet Length 188
Video Profile high
Codec H264
Bitrate 8529 kbps
Bit Depth 8
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Color Range tv
Frame Rate 29.97 fps
Height 1080
Level 4.0
Profile high
Ref Frames 2
Scan Type interlaced

I have googled quite a bit and tried to look for errors in the Plex server log but don't have much to run with. Any advice on systematically tracking down the issue?

Some more information for developers - it appears the Plex processes responsible for connecting to the HDHomeRun is not capturing stream data fast enough to keep up with recording. I used the HDHomeRun Signal Meter application for Android to watch in real time information being recorded and watched the "Net Rate" drop to 0 periodically. Note this does not happen when tuning using the Android HDHomeRun app on the Shield so believe it is some type of resource scheduling with network adapter perhaps. Please get in touch with me if you need any more help debugging.

I am having a very similar problem. I hope you get some sort of response.

I am using the latest Nvidia Shield 500GB, I have a 16TB NAS and HD Homerun Plus. The only thing I can think of is the network speed of the HDHomerun at 100Mbps when the rest of the network is connected at gigabit speeds. I want to do the transcoding on my Nvidia shield. My NAS is a Synology 416play with 4x WD8TB Red drives.

The stuttering is annoying, you lose about 2-4 seconds of video and audio, and as mentioned above, the voice is out of sync.

Everything else with Plex is running perfectly.

All my software, firmware, and drivers are at the latest version possible.

We’d appreciate any tips you can provice.

I am experiencing the same type of issue. I can view the video fine via the HD HomeRun app on the shield, but when I'm viewing via Plex, it's choppy and pixelated .. I also installed Plex on an actual server and recorded some shows last night, and while watching them on the Shield, they continued to be pixelated and jump around. However, when I watched them via the browser app (over the internet), they played fine.

The Shield player not working correctly?

Right. At first I thought it might be a problem with the shield recording to the NAS, so I had it record to the 128GB USB3 drive that I had in the shield.. same issue. Then I set up a Plex server on my HP server, and same issue when playing back on the shield. I'll have to see if I have any of the recordings left that I made on the shield so I can test those via web. I may have deleted them.

edit

Well, that didn't take long. It did it during the introductions on the episode of Jeopardy that I recorded. Started to introduce the first contestant, then skipped right to the champion, while freezing on the first for about 5 seconds. This is playing from the shield's recorded video to the web client, across the internet.

I've been working in another forum thread here and think that adopted storage may be part of the problem. xx_yaroz_xx, Are you running adopted storage on your Shield? I switched transcoding folder on server to external hard drive attached to shield and stuttering seemed to go away ... however now I have another problem with the Shield unmounting the external hard drive continuously (sigh...). The Plex DVR on 16GB 2017 Shield so far with my setup seems like a bust.

Yes, that was with adopted storage. I also tried it with writing to my NAS before I switched over to the adopted storage.

I did check to make sure that I was on the right server last night, and was able to play the entire show from my standalone server on my shield last night, with no stuttering.

So.. to date..

Episode recorded on the shield via Live TV won't play from the shield or from web browser without skipping all over the place.

Episode recorded on a dedicated server via Live TV will play fine on shield or web browser (once I switched the shield to point to the standalone server).

How do I change the transcoding folder?

@arf77 said:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250347-Transcoder

The setting under there is called "Transcoder temporary directory"

@jfpaul said:

@arf77 said:

Thank you. I'll take a look. I've since stopped DVRing shows because the quality is not easy to watch.

They stream find on the HDHomerun, but I just cannot watch the recordings.

@xx_yaroz_xx said:
Right. At first I thought it might be a problem with the shield recording to the NAS, so I had it record to the 128GB USB3 drive that I had in the shield.. same issue. Then I set up a Plex server on my HP server, and same issue when playing back on the shield. I'll have to see if I have any of the recordings left that I made on the shield so I can test those via web. I may have deleted them.

edit

Well, that didn't take long. It did it during the introductions on the episode of Jeopardy that I recorded. Started to introduce the first contestant, then skipped right to the champion, while freezing on the first for about 5 seconds. This is playing from the shield's recorded video to the web client, across the internet.

Was it recorded at 1080? I've seen the same issues but they seem more prominent (skipping with audio issue vs. just some pixelation for a second) at 1080 vs 720 shows (sports).

@jfpaul said:

@arf77 said:

I don't see this. Shield TV is my PMS.

Edit - sorry, I was looking for the Transcoder quality, which isn't there.

Any update on this? I got my Extend installed yesterday and ran into some really bad choppiness to the point where recordings are unwatchable

I have this same issue using HDHomerun Duo with PMS running and recording on a dedicated Dell T3600 and using the plex app for Android TV on my Sony 65X900E. Once I get the Pixelation and the audio sync I can correct the audio sync issue by doing a quick rewind or fast forward but it always comes back at some point during the next Pixelation.

Any updates on this issue? This is obviously a Plex Server issue and not an HDHomerun Extend issue.... :(

I to am having this same issue. I watch on my fire stick, but the PMS is a very beefy server 8 core 3.5ghz, 32gb Ram..

It’s very frustrating

I have also been running into this issue. My setup uses an HDHomerun Connect, dedicated Plex server, and viewing via the PS4 app. All recordings have intermittent pixellation with screen/freeze and sound drop. I would appreciate any info

I was able to fix the issues I was having by updating the firmware on my HDHomeRun Connect from 20161117. More info in this thread: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/275347/almost-all-dvr-recordings-are-corrupt/p1

I am seeing the exact same thing. Around 10 "skips" during a one hour show. And once it happens the audio is way out of sync. It seems to be worse when 2 shows recorded at the same time. Not sure but it seems like it can't keep up with the recording. And it's clearly a glitch during recording not playback since I can play same spot back over and over and it has the same glitch.

My setup: 16 GB shield tv with 120 GB SSD as adoptable storage connected via usb 3. A 2 TB HD for shows connected as external usb 3. A HD Homerun Connect 2 tuner. Same as others here. No issues watching live in hd home run app or live channels app. Only recorded shows have the issue. The WAF is truly starting to suffer.