Ive used plex for coming up on 8 or 9 years now. I’m finally to the point where I want to complain about some things.
-
I’m getting so sick of plex server completely breaking every time I try to update through the GUI. I have learned to just never update unless I have a need, but my wife accidentally clicked update from her app which she thought would update her phone app, not the server. So here I am tonight, yet again trying to fix plex server for windows. I kid you not, 100% of the attempted updates through UI have failed over as long as I can remember. Tonight I went to my windows box that has the install to find it powered off. huh? Well, when I boot it up, just like every time in the past, plex is no longer installed. huh? I then go download manually and try to install it manually, and install fails telling me that there is an install in progress and to complete that first. huh? I try installing manually again, and it works the second time. huh? Terrible user experience.
-
I don’t know where to begin with the camera upload. It is extremely flakey. It rarely runs on its own, even though it is configured to run whenever new photos appear. I will go look for a recent photo in plex and realize it hasn’t been syncing in over a month, so I have to open my app and manually do it, then track down my wifes phone and do the same. Very frustrating.
-
Sync, total garbage. What else can I say. I cannot tell you how many family vacations approached where the night before we realized we haven’t synced any shows for the kids to watch on their tablets, and if we don’t think of it a week in advance, its too late. One might think that setting a dozen shows to sync to a couple of tablets should have no problem completing while we sleep, but it NEVER DOES. Whats more, when we think stuff is synced (cause it says it is), then frequently we’ll try to play said files, and they throw an error saying they aren’t available. This kind of garbage, and much more has been happening for as long as i’ve used plex and syncing. It is such a wonderful feature with such a terrible user experience. It is beyond me why after nearly a decade of me using it, Plex still has not been able to make syncing stable.
I will end with this. I love the idea of Plex and what it can do for you, but I am growing very tired of the constant maintenance. Its like the Plex team doesn’t even give a crap. Here is another example of their bull crap. I got an email with an update, and an “oh by the way” with this crap in it.
“If something is amiss, we recommend deleting and setting up the DVR from scratch. If you encounter problems, visit our forums.”
Hows about you just stop breaking stuff so we don’t have to constantly re-setup crap all the time, and “visit the forums” to troll around for help. I’m tired of it, I paid for Plex pass, and support a closed source application so that I don’t have to worry about it not working. Jokes on me I guess.