Plex local web app can't find the server

server-synology

In the last few weeks no Plex client app has been able to connect to the Plex server on my Synology NAS DS412+, including a local web client. I have uninstalled the Plex server and reinstalled it, using both automatic and manual installation, but with no change. I have also tried the instructions at https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204604227-Why-can-t-the-Plex-app-find-or-connect-to-my-Plex-Media-Server-
Note, the Plex server is visible as a Device, but the client web app can't connect.

i would try an SSH tunnel as described here https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288666

Sorry, I should have specified, I am trying to access the NAS Plex server locally, at the address http://192.168.0.4:32400/web/index.html, where 192.168.0.4 is the address of the NAS. I have attached screen shots and the log files. I have since found that I can see any other Plex server running in the house, but not the one of the NAS. The Synology Package Center tells me it is running however. What can I do to make the NAS Plex server visible?

1. Verify you don’t have the Synology firewall active. If you are using it, add ports per https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201543147-What-network-ports-do-I-need-to-allow-through-my-firewall-
  2. If still unable to access, perform the following reset sequence.
Stop PMS in Package Cetner
Control Panel - Shared Folders - Add your username to the R/W list for the `Plex` share
Open File Station - `Plex` share - Library - Application Support - Plex Media Serevr
Delete `Preferences.xml`
Start PMS

Open `http://ip.addr.of.nas:32400/web`   (do not add the `index.html`.  Let it do what it wants)

Perform basic setup wizard (sign in + got it screens)
Do not create any libraries.   Sections you've already created will be waiting for you at the dashboard.
Skip / Finish and arrive at Dashboard
Hover over `Libraries` - Expose the ellipsis (`...`) - click it.    Click `Optimize Database`
When finished,  restart PMS

Note:   I will assume, but you should verify,  both your computer and your Syno are on the same subnet when you perform this.  If you do not,  you will not be able to Claim it again until you are (its default security mechanism)

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them and they appeared to work but the Plex server on the NAS is still not visible. I have since:

• Deleted the entire Plex data folder off the NAS (I had feared I had a corrupt database)
  • Un-installed and reinstalled the Plex Media Server on the NAS
  • I now get en error when I try to give the new NAS-based PLex server a new name (message is server details can’t be saved)
    -When I start Plex, the NAS based server is still not visible
  • The Synology Package Manager shows Plex as running

I have also confirmed that the Synology Firewall is not activated and the NAS and web client are on the same sub-net

I’m at my wits end. Any suggestions??

Yes… let’s start checking.

1. IP of your computer (where you run your browser) is on the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.0.x) as your Synology ?
  2. You performed the first-run initialization, which initializes it and signs it into your account by accessing http://ip.addr.of.syno:32400/web ?

Presuming all this is correct AND presuming your subnet is defined as RFC 1918 (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x->172.31.x.x) .

1. Stop PMS
  2. Open Control Panel - Shared Folders - EDIT the Plex share. Add your username to the R/W permissions list
  3. Open File Station
  4. Navigate to the Plex share - Library - Application Support - Plex Media Server
  5. Delete Preferences.xml
  6. Start PMS
  7. Open http://ip.addr.of.syno:32400/web

If your subnet addresses (LAN) are not per RFC 1918, this is the source of your problem. Those are the official “Private LAN” addresses and PMS will permit LAN-based init only when in that environment. There is a way around this but in most cases, it’s best to put the LAN in official RFC numbering.

I now have Plex running after deleting everything and re-installing. However now the Plex client keeps “finding” the Plex sever and requesting that I claim it. This happens 3-4 times a day. At the same time, the new Plex server is not finding movies and downloading metadata correctly, so they have to be done manually. What has gone wrong??? I have used Plex for years and love the product, but since November it is not working at all well.

When you state ‘deleting everything’, did you also delete the Plex share?

Deleting the Plex share does delete all your libraries. You deleted everything PMS knew about your media. A full setup must be performed again as it knows nothing.

I did delete the PLex share and re-installed everything. It worked initially and I have been able to re-download all the metadata. I then did a Synology DSM update on the weekend to 6.1.4-15217 and now all Plex servers have vanished again. If I delete Preferences.xml, I get the startup wizard screen, but as soon as the Plex server is created it vanishes again. All the previous Plex servers I have created are visible in the Devices screen, but the Plex web client can’t connect to them. Any advice??

I think I have resolved this. After many, many resets of Plex and even a full removal and re-installation of the application AND the database and associated metadata with no improvement, I finally solved it by downgrading Synology DSM from 6.1.4 to 6.1.3 (July 2017 version). All Plex-related problems have gone away. I will be more cautious with DSM updates in future!

@rtait said:
I think I have resolved this. After many, many resets of Plex and even a full removal and re-installation of the application AND the database and associated metadata with no improvement, I finally solved it by downgrading Synology DSM from 6.1.4 to 6.1.3 (July 2017 version). All Plex-related problems have gone away. I will be more cautious with DSM updates in future!

I think I’m having the same issue. I tried to manually install the 6.1.3 version but I got a message saying that this version of DSM is not downgradable. How do you do the DSM downgrade?

Thanks!

@rtait said:

I find that quite odd, since the majority of Synology users have DSM 6.1.4 installed and don’t have any issues running Plex on it.

I think your issue was more likely a faulty install of Plex. That can occur for a number of reasons, one of which is a failed download and that has been known to happen when you use Chrome or Safari to download Plex with.

It may have also been poor setup on yoyr part, but I guess we will never know now.

@mccarbc said:
I think I’m having the same issue. I tried to manually install the 6.1.3 version but I got a message saying that this version of DSM is not downgradable. How do you do the DSM downgrade?

Thanks!

Never assume you have the same issue as someone else. If you would care to outline the issue/s you have and provide your Plex logs, then we may be able to help you correct your issue/s.

If you insist on downgrading DSM, something I don’t advise without a good reason to, then see Q20 on the Synology FAQ’s page.

You will need an earlier version of the DSM .pat file which may be found here: http://dedl.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.1.3/15152/ make sure you choose the correct package for your NAS.

Thanks much, I’m not assuming we have the same problem yet, just investigating options. Next time it fails I’ll post log files. I know that it started recently, about when DSM 6.1.4 was installed. Until that point I’ve never had an issue connecting to the NAS. I’ve also been staying current on the Plex server software so I’m not clear how it could be a faulty install of Plex.

When it does fail to connect, stopping and restarting the Plex service doesn’t fix the issue, only shutting down and restarting the DSM will fix it.

In that case, the issue is most likely with your network and/or the network settings on your NAS.

Next time it occurs, trying rebooting the modem/router and if that does not correct the problem, then you know you have a configuration issue with the NAS. Check all of your network settings on the NAS and in the router to make sure you have no conflicts anywhere.

If the NAS continues to disconnect from the network, contact Synology, you may have a failing NIC.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear, I can always connect to the NAS and various other Synology apps like DS Photo Station and Video Station and all network file shares and OSX Time machine. The only thing that breaks is connecting to Plex server. It’s very intermittent, it’ll be fine in the morning and broken in the afternoon for example. But once it’s broken (Plex server connecting, that is) I need to reboot NAS in order to fix it.

In that case, the next time Plex drops out, grab your Plex logs and post them here please.

See Q13 on the Synology FAQ’s page to get them manually, link in my signature.