Plex Media Scanner constantly at over 190% CPU usage since last update

server-mac

Not sure what to do about this. When opening Plex web it seems no scanning is going on. Anybody else seeing this? Is it a known issue?

Yes, I'm seeing this to CPU maxed 0.0 idle, little mini was burning hot for 10 hours before I noticed it :(

The first place I would look is as per attachment, disable video thumbnails.

Well it calmed down for me after ~10+ minutes.
Edit: Issue returned today. Checked Server > Library and both options are set to never. The CPU spikes continue. I can force quit the process but it returns after a while.

Same here, seems it happens when new content is added, I downgrade and that solved it then I read your comment before your edit and upgraded again, but now I'm going to see what the next server has fixed before updating again, I have 3 Plex media scanner processes maxing the CPU completely.

Sorry for luring you into the current PMS version again :/
I think devs are not really active on this forum anymore. What's the official route to report a bug in Plex?

Have you followed my suggestion?

Yes both are set to never and always have.

Hi there,

I'm having the same issue. Plex Media Scanner processes consuming high CPU - even just adding 20 tracks is giving me high CPU for 20-30 minutes...

** Same issue, but my Media Server is Windows, sorry for posting in wrong place **

@SpacemanJT no need to be sorry. Just shows the issue is not OS dependent, which makes things worse.

@SE56 Yes. In an earlier comment I wrote "Checked Server > Library and both options are set to never."

@SpacemanJT said:
Hi there,

I’m having the same issue. Plex Media Scanner processes consuming high CPU - even just adding 20 tracks is giving me high CPU for 20-30 minutes…

** Same issue, but my Media Server is Windows, sorry for posting in wrong place **

This can be caused by corrupt “Track” file, use status menu to see which file the scanner stuck on during a scan.

cpu at 100% for hours on end since the last update (not the dec 18th one)

another thread has it down to scanning all files for loudness (for the plexamp apparently) and (from what they wrote) every file is played and scanned for loudness... i have thousands of audio files.. this could take weeks and in the meantime my cpu is 100% and is unavailable to me for any thing else. not to say that Plex will not work due to the scanning.

this really is horrible planning
i hate that it has happened after all the years i have used plex and all my work to create libraries etc.

This sounds ridiculous I ain't even going to use plexamp, just made a playlist with all my music to see how many days of playing I have "Only" 131 days of constant CPU torture, guess there is no more updates on till they realise this is insane.

@coz2001 said:
This sounds ridiculous I ain't even going to use plexamp, just made a playlist with all my music to see how many days of playing I have "Only" 131 days of constant CPU torture, guess there is no more updates on till they realise this is insane.

yes its ridiculous... a long holiday weekend and my plex is dead ... i am trying to roll back to a previous version and of course am getting errors. i did an uninstall of the last update and then tried to install the previous one and i get a ' you dont have rights to a plex service' error...

i am so so so very upset with this company . in the last year for the first time ever (and i have used this for many many years). all kinds of problems have crept in... two updates didnt work at all and had to be fixed in the next releases. the transcoding is a nightmare on apple tv - files that worked beautifully months before all of a sudden do not play more than a few minutes without buffering extensively (nothing changed on my network and its a wired connection at 80+) ...

i am so damn annoyed ... make changes but TEST TEST TEST TEST them before you release them

the last thing i want to do on a holiday saturday night is tyr to get a program to install... that worked FINE UNTIL THE LAST UPDATE.

bah humbug

What OS are you using, on Mac it's easy to downgrade and I always upgrade manually never auto.

@coz2001 said:
What OS are you using, on Mac it's easy to downgrade and I always upgrade manually never auto.

Windows. I was able to do it by rebooting after the first uninstall. however the most previous version before the current one ALSO has the deep analysis for loudness so i have had to shut down plex. and now window is doing it most recent version update (fall creators) so it will be awhile before it finishes. then i will uninstall and go back yet another version to early december and hopefully that one will not have the deep analysis scanning.

but this is not the way to handle pushing out a new feature that screws up users computers but seizing control of the CPU.

there are numerous posts about this issue but they are spread out in different sections ... not sure that Plex officials will realize that it is a problem.

if this is not dealt with in some manner (an option to be able to TURN OFF the loudness analysis - yes PLEXAMP may be a nice app but if it screws up my computer i DONT WANT IT). then i will have to run the old version forever or go to another system (and there really is not a good alternative so i am PO).

This issue has been raised internally and is being examined. It has been reproduced by several ninjas. When I know more I will update this thread (or another thread that reported the same thing).

@kegobeer-plex said:
This issue has been raised internally and is being examined. It has been reproduced by several ninjas. When I know more I will update this thread (or another thread that reported the same thing).

thanks for this update. am looking forward to this being fixed.

@kegobeer-plex thanks for acknowledging the issue. please do keep us posted as plex tracker is not public and there's no way to keep track of an issue.

@kegobeer-plex
any update on this issue ? (BTW its a problem for windows systems as well)
thanks