Plex prevents HDD spin-down. How to troubleshoot?

server-qnap

I've just installed an Intel x64 build for the first time on my Qnap NAS. Problem is, Plex now seems to prevent my WD Red HDDs from properly entering into standby.

As of yet, the Plex sever is not connected to any clients, remote access, DLNA and scheduled tasks are disabled. So why does Plex keep my NAS from properly going to sleep?

What's the best way to get this sorted out? Don't like the idea of having the HDDs running 24/7 and consuming power...

No need to troubleshot sadly…

With Plex on-board, sleep mode never happens, due to logging

Really?! Can’t you just prevent the server from writing a log - or maybe move the log to an external usb drive?

Sadly no :frowning:

/T

Really.

You have a Plex Pass. It periodically reaches to Plex.tv to update your status. That gets logged.

If you managed to manually redirect the logs to a mounted USB filesystem, you can expect to burn out the USB in short order. Every time you write a single line to a USB, the storage page is re-written. They are not designed for that level usage.

@ChuckPA said:
You have a Plex Pass. It periodically reaches to Plex.tv to update your status. That gets logged.
Might be a stupid question, but what happens when Plex is running on a NAS without the Plex Pass?

Wouldn’t it be possible to store the log entries in memory and only have them written to disk during scheduled runs, say, at night?

It still watches for media, it still has maintenance, If you have remote access, it will still update your IP at Plex.tv. That all goes into the log.

No way to write those log entries to the cloud instead of having them stored locally?

Sadly not possible, trust me

If you wish to customize your installation, redirecting the Logs directory location to elsewhere, that is up to you.

The only caution I have is this: It’s up to you to make certain user plex can always write to that location and, should you ever have a problem, those logs will be required to assist you.

And closing this, since the same Q get’s asked over and over again, but sadly with the same outcome…

And do wish, the outcome was differently though

@ChuckPA said:
The only caution I have is this: It’s up to you to make certain user plex

Not relevant on QNAP :wink:

And also note, that the database get’s a lookup every time PMS checks for been online, so logs is not the only thing that matters sadly