Plex Video not playing in Google Chrome browser. (Works aok in MS Edge browser)

plex-web

Can't get any videos (live or recorded) to display in Google Chrome web browser. (Get sound though)

Videos play just fine in MS Edge browser on same computer.

Any ideas?

check out your browser settings if there’s any restrictions towards video playback or some mechanism stopping “auto-play”

Do you have any extensions installed? Does it work in private/incognito mode?

What are the types/codecs of videos you’re playing back?

**Hi tom80H. ** In Chrome, I don’t see anything in Settings that is restricting video playback.

**@“Dom C. **” Sure, I have several Chrome extensions installed on my browser. Videos aren’t displayed (yet sound is) on both live TV from my HDHomeRun and recordings. I’m not sure how to determine the ‘types/codecs’ from live HDHomeRun shows however, in the details of a recent recording it indicates ‘Codec MPEG2VIDEO’. Again, everything works fine on MS Edge browser.

Thanks to you both for your continued help! ~don

So I’d suggest trying with extensions disabled - that feels the most likely candidate right now. Make sure all your extensions have this set:

And then try to login to Plex in an incognito window.

Hi Dom. I’ve disabled all Chrome Extensions, restarted, & still no video in Incognito or standard Chrome browser. Sorry to be such a bother, but it’s probably happening with others in Chrome on a Win10 OS. Keep those ideas coming! ~don

We have a good chunk of the web devs here running Chrome on Win 10, so I’m very curious about what’s different. Presumably this is the case for every video? Have you tried videos that aren’t from DVR?

Good morning Dom,

On Chrome, I can’t play Plex Live TV or DVR recording videos. (Will get some intermittent video, though). I’ve installed the latest Chrome version for Win10 and it didn’t help. (“Google Chrome is up to date - Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit”)

Strangely, I can play OTA Live TV with the HDHomeRun app that’s outside of Chrome. Plex also works fine with MS Edge & Firefox browsers on this computer.

Thanks again for sticking with me on this. Best ~don

Can you add a sample video that’s not from your TV tuner and see if you get playback? I’d like to work out if the problem is the media type from your tuner/DVR or something else. Thanks!

Hi Dom. Sorry it’s taking me a few days to reply.

I added a video from my phone into a new Library Directory on my Google
Drive as the others. It opens quickly and plays perfectly.

Looking forward to your thoughts. ~don

That’s progress then! So it sounds like something specific to the content from your DVR. Could you please send me a sample?

I have the same problem. Plex works fine in Firefox. In Chrome I tried Incognito, disabling extensions, loading in guest account to use all default Chrome settings. No video. Even for files that Plex optimized (for tv and for mobile). Everything plays as expected in both Firefox and Windows Media Player. Just no video in Chrome. Help. I’m kinda stuck.

I have the same problem. Plex works fine in Firefox. In Chrome I tried Incognito, disabling extensions, loading in guest account to use all default Chrome settings. No video. Even for files that Plex optimized (for tv and for mobile). Everything plays as expected in both Firefox and Windows Media Player. Just no video in Chrome. Help. I’m kinda stuck…

Did anyone get an answer to this

Not sure if this is related but I recently had Chrome completely stop working for me. I would sometimes not be able to reach Plex server at all with Chrome. Edge worked fine. I wiresharked the packets and realized that Chrome has started using IPv6 between my PC and Plex Server (Synology). The Synology would reject the IPv6 connection. I disabled IPv6 on my Windows 10 Ethernet Port and now everything works 100% again.