Plex Web Player UI/UX completely sucks now! What happened??

plex-web

I can't believe that with a single update, almost every single thing that makes the Plex Web player amazing is completely gone. This is the main way I watch my TV with a mouse on the coffee table and why I paid for a Plex Lifetime pass. I might as well be watching Vimeo!

Inconceivable changes:

Scroll wheel no longer changes volume when player tab is focused, you now must hover over the tiny volume bar.

During playback, the player UI doesn't minimize itself if the mouse is touching it at all, even if the mouse doesn't move for any amount of time. This forces constant reaching to move the mouse off the UI so I can enjoy my media.

Fullscreen and Exit Player buttons switched to least intuitive place imaginable.

I couldn't care less about the bugs that were also introduced. I need answers for why these boneheaded UI changes were implemented and took Plex multiple steps backwards in user experience. Please put these features back.

I would like some answers as well . I cannot figure out how to get full screen any longer on IOS safari.

I too would like to know what happened here...

I realize that the intent was to have a "unified" player style; one that is the same (as much as possible) between music and video. However, there were a lot of little things that were removed that made Plex awesome.

they don't care it seems. they want mobile app sales I guess. I havent updated my server in forever once they forced that terrible webplayer into the server itself (instead of just plex.tv/web). thankfully I havent tried to use my plex server away from home recently or I would be even angrier. have you no shame Plex?

Why did you pay for a plex pass if all you use is the web app?

My mouse disappears and the UI disappears after a few seconds, but the following I completely agree with and wish they would fix it. I will continue to return periodically but all threads that mention these bugs.

Inconceivable changes:
* Scroll wheel no longer changes volume when player tab is focused, you now must hover over the tiny volume bar.
* Fullscreen and Exit Player buttons switched to least intuitive place imaginable.

I agree. Every update makes this more like everything bad there already is there. They don’t listen to us. Wish I could charge back my money.

Always happy to listen to feedback! Hopefully I can try and explain why those changes were made:

The scroll wheel not changing volume is because there are other items in the player UI (lyrics/play queue) which take precedent. Scrolling over the volume slide does still change it.

The moving of fullscreen/exit was also deliberate so the button remains in the same place regardless of whether the player was minimised or not. I realise it has changed from previous versions though.

Why aren’t you addressing the issue with the Roku freezing or crashing when playing Live TV on the same station for 1-2 hours or so???

I think the real reason is that they moved to a third party player, Shaka or JW player not sure which, so they have different UI options now that the third party player affords them. Other notable problems that have not been fixed in the new player, and it’s been a long time now:

• Resume doesn’t work in Safari. It will stall if you pause content and try to resume even a few minutes later.

• CPU usage is much higher then the previous player. You could previously get 9 hours video playback on a Mac, it’s down to around 4-5 hours now with fans spinning up etc to cool down the device.

I can see the benefits for them in the development process to use off the shelf components, but what about the user experience? In my humble opinion the player and product has become progressively worse as these design decisions are taken for their own benefit while ignoring feedback from their paying customers.

Why aren’t you addressing the issue with the Roku freezing or crashing when playing Live TV on the same station for 1-2 hours or so???

Sorry to hear that. I’ve asked the Roku guys to take a look at http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/308048/roku-crashes-on-live-tv

I think the real reason is that they moved to a third party player, Shaka or JW player not sure which, so they have different UI options

We did change out player stack, but it gave us more control over the UI, not less. Shaka is just a video player, we do the rest - https://github.com/google/shaka-player

I’ll take a look at the resume issue in Safari. By any chance is that transcoded playback?

There shouldn’t be any notable difference in battery life. Please can you send me the details of the video you’re playing and I’ll run some tests over here. Thanks!

I’ll take a look at the resume issue in Safari. By any chance is that transcoded playback?

Thanks - it’s with everything. If you try it in Chrome, Chrome seems to make another request that Safari doesn’t make on pause/resume. You see the loading spinner briefly.

You can also check CPU usage when playing on OSX, it’s significantly higher then pre-Shaka.

I don’t see the problem with pause/resume in Safari that you mention @otaku888 - could you please share some media that shows this problem and I can try from here. Dom C is my plex username and if you don’t mind sharing the library or just a single item, then that would be easiest. Thanks!

Ok I’ve added you, start playing Big Buck Bunny, at some point pause it, leave it for 4-5 minutes. When you go back to resume from a paused state it will only play until the previously buffered point and then freeze.

I’m using OSX Sierra latest (10.12.6) and Safari latest (11.1).

Tried this, and can’t reproduce with your sample. How odd :confused:

Can you tell me how exactly you are pausing it and if you are using the same setup? i.e. Same version of OSX, Safari and Plexweb? I can reproduce reliably.