PleXBMC client for XBMC

Ok, give it a try and let me know how you get on.

https://github.com/KodeStar/plugin.video.plexbmc

*edit*

Only thing is, the available sections are cached for an hour, not sure if deleting plexbmc and installing the new one will remove that cache or not.

Ok, give it a try and let me know how you get on.

https://github.com/KodeStar/plugin.video.plexbmc

*edit*

Only thing is, the available sections are cached for an hour, not sure if deleting plexbmc and installing the new one will remove that cache or not.

Thanks! I had to make some minor changes in order to get it to work. I have OnDeck TV shelf working!! :) ...And progressing slowly to other stuff:)

I'll try to make a PR for python code changes so you can merge them to your repo when I'm finished with skin stuff.

awesome :D

looking forward to it :D

*edit* what changes were needed?

awesome :D

looking forward to it :D

*edit* what changes were needed?

Comma "," was missing in line 527 and for some reason python had problems with "section" variable so I've borrowed some code from Hippo's widgets branch and mixed it with yours. As I've said it's been a looong time since I've programmed so it was hit and miss afternoon game :)

ahh, well I didnt have access to plex so couldn't test, i'm home now, although i currently have my 5 month old son asleep on my lap, lol, but at least we are making some progress :D

If you're running latest Amber with latest KodeStar plexbmc code and you have enabled "both" recent and ondeck shelf in plexbmc settings you should be all set.

Take a look at yours /library/onDeck/ section in a browser and we should know then how many items and of what type are available for the shelf.

Mixed items on shelf are something that we discussed in recent posts. Python and skin improvements are needed and you should be fluent in both, IIRC? If so, then the only thing remaining is will to help :)

I am happy to help out where needed.  Looks like you guys are making progress though.  I just about to create a channel on irc called ##plexbmc on irc.freenode.net/8001 if anyone is interested in more interactive conversation.  Notice there are two ## not one since its an unofficial channel.

Hmmm.. Am I missing something? Every XBMC client can play everything normal HTPC can. What would client profiles help with on XBMC clients?

I have a few tvshows that I can not play directly in XBMC for some reason so I have to transcode.  I use them when testing new plex or xbmc platforms

:) I'm here just been hectic recently. I made some quite extensive changes to PleXBMC to support the new universal transcoder and Timeline status API in PMS. Been using it on 10 devices for 4 months, with both transcoding on and off, zero problems so far.

It also now has a dynamic transcode option depending on the media bitrate, only transcodes media when the average bitrate is above a set value - for those pesky slow internet connections. Would love to extend it further by adding device profile support/detection for unplayable formats on the client but that might be impossible due to xbmc not presenting much.

I will try and fix my git repo this week and push my latest changes. At least they can then be merged with any work anyone else does.

Oh one last thing: also HTTPS (SSL) support is fully implemented, if PMS server version is > 0.9.8.0 then it supports HTTPS on port 32443.

This would be nice to merge as well.  I did have problems playing media with DTS.  I was getting no sound but they work with HJ 3.2.2 version.  I don't have a DTS receiver.

Wow. Good to see some movement on plexbmc.


I’m still out of the game at the moment, due to some very worrying, career affecting, changes going on at work. I get back and really don’t have the energy to dig into this. This should all be sorted (one way or another) by mid November and I might be able to get my life back on track.


Anyway, i didn’t come here to dish out excuses, I popped in to see if anyone wants write access into my plexbmc repo? I’m happy to hand over a set of keys so that direct updates can be done and pushed out via the existing repositories - both github for master and googlecode for repos.

Hi hippojay,

great to see you!

I'd like to nominate pecinko :P

he's been actively following plexbmc from the start, and is doing a great job of adding the support to Amber

Wow. Good to see some movement on plexbmc.

I'm still out of the game at the moment, due to some very worrying, career affecting, changes going on at work. I get back and really don't have the energy to dig into this. This should all be sorted (one way or another) by mid November and I might be able to get my life back on track.

Anyway, i didn't come here to dish out excuses, I popped in to see if anyone wants write access into my plexbmc repo? I'm happy to hand over a set of keys so that direct updates can be done and pushed out via the existing repositories - both github for master and googlecode for repos.

I wish you luck with your career.  I am saddened to hear about your troubles.

If no one else is able to maintain your repos, I will be willing to since I have python, skin and git experience and know how to merge and test :)  Or I am just willing to help out giving guidance where needed.

Edit.  I was also thinking of pecinko :)

Real Life is everything Hippojay, I do hope the work situation pans out for you...hang in there...

Will be great to see you again in mid-November with good news...

Hi Peckino, when you say you have TV OnDeck populating did you mean populating correctly or you now have Live TV populating?

Just another wish list, on your Qartz skin when listing all unwatched seasons (thanks for adding unwatched on the left pop-out menu) one would get a 'number' of unwatched items, on Amber it's just a half circle...would it be possible to have the numbers as an option?

I wish you luck with your career.  I am saddened to hear about your troubles.

If no one else is able to maintain your repos, I will be willing to since I have python, skin and git experience and know how to merge and test :)  Or I am just willing to help out giving guidance where needed.

Edit.  I was also thinking of pecinko :)

Well, Pecinko already has to maintain Amber, so maybe it makes more sense to offload some work to someone else.

Whoever has time to pull, merge and do some testing is a good candidate IMHO. It would be better also to have all the code changes merged back into hippojay's fork, as his fork is the one referenced in many places as *the* official plexbmc source.

If Jason is willing to do it and also has skills, then I'd say do it, by all mean!

We can still maintain our own branches, test out some stuff then ask for pull requests. That's the general concept of github / git forking anyways ;)

Well, Pecinko already has to maintain Amber, so maybe it makes more sense to offload some work to someone else.

Whoever has time to pull, merge and do some testing is a good candidate IMHO. It would be better also to have all the code changes merged back into hippojay's fork, as his fork is the one referenced in many places as *the* official plexbmc source.

If Jason is willing to do it and also has skills, then I'd say do it, by all mean!

We can still maintain our own branches, test out some stuff then ask for pull requests. That's the general concept of github / git forking anyways ;)

Just what I was going to post. I don't mind having write access for just in case but I think repo will be better served by someone fluent in python. And merging all PR into original repo is probably the best way to keep the project alive and kickin'.

True, I only suggested pecinko because he's been following plexbmc since the beginning (he is post #3 http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92310&highlight=plexbmc), has added native support in Amber and is still actively engaging, so might be a good idea if maybe we could get 2 people with write access, pecinko as a just in case and from the sounds of it Jason Mehring?

ahh, well I didnt have access to plex so couldn't test, i'm home now, although i currently have my 5 month old son asleep on my lap, lol, but at least we are making some progress :D

Cool, it was fun.

However, it seems that our idea cannot be accomplished. Shelf items gets sorted according to selected main menu item but the problem is that some of the sections may end up empty for either recent or ondeck content and it seems that I don't have reliable way of hiding them in skin code.

E.g. - this looks good:

while this looks bad:

Hi Peckino, when you say you have TV OnDeck populating did you mean populating correctly or you now have Live TV populating?

Just another wish list, on your Qartz skin when listing all unwatched seasons (thanks for adding unwatched on the left pop-out menu) one would get a 'number' of unwatched items, on Amber it's just a half circle...would it be possible to have the numbers as an option?

What did you have in mind with Live TV shelf?

Amber shows unwatched counts at TV Show level. I don't hang out much at season level - I just pick a season that have not been finished.

Cool, it was fun.

However, it seems that our idea cannot be accomplished. Shelf items gets sorted according to selected main menu item but the problem is that some of the sections may end up empty for either recent or ondeck content and it seems that I don't have reliable way of hiding them in skin code.

E.g. - this looks good:

while this looks bad:

To be honest, it doesn't look great, but it's better than having items on a shelf that shouldn't be.  Whats the issue with hiding them? Perhaps we should do the checking on the plugin side so it only sends items that should be there?

Can you send me the changes you have made so far and I'll put them into my repo and see if there is anything I can do my side.

Can somebody take care of Quartz too?

To be honest, it doesn't look great, but it's better than having items on a shelf that shouldn't be.  Whats the issue with hiding them? Perhaps we should do the checking on the plugin side so it only sends items that should be there?

Can you send me the changes you have made so far and I'll put them into my repo and see if there is anything I can do my side.

OK. Just pushed all to Git. You should have PR for python changes and be sure to pull latest commit from Amber repo.

To be honest, it doesn't look great, but it's better than having items on a shelf that shouldn't be.  Whats the issue with hiding them? Perhaps we should do the checking on the plugin side so it only sends items that should be there?

The only thing that I'm missing in Plexbmc is better shelf. However, there are couple of problems:

Full Plex (PMC/PHT) shelf is pulled from http://localhost:32400/library/sections/foo (foo=section number). PleXBMC shelf pulls from aggregated Recent/OnDeck which includes fewer items and mixed content.

When we filter those fewer items we may end up with nothing to show for the particular main menu entry. With more library sections (main menu items) chances for this grow. When this situation occurs, I need to use a skin check in order to hide control that is containing shelf items. Now, XBMC hides control if an explicit bool is satisfied and only thing I have come up with so far is to count visible items in that control and if all are hidden (uuid does not match) - control gets hidden status as well. Problem seems to be that control status does not update so list control with shelf items remains hidden all the time.

If I don't hide the list control we end up with a ghost empty space - list control is visible so shelf background shows and the other list (e.g. OnDeck) moves to make a place for e.g. Recent list although Recent list has no matching uuid items and thus remains empty.

I'm open to suggestions :)