PleXBMC client for XBMC

Nice.

I am wondering why I am not getting any ondeck, etc on home screen though.  Could it be that my local plex server 'Requires authentication on local networks' and uses myplex to authenticate?

I did uninstall your skin and add the git master as well as uninstall the original PleXBMC and installed the one above.

EDIT.  Looks like it may be working; guess I had to get a copy of your master amber again; the previous one I has was a few hours old.

Way to go!! awesome!

EDIT2.  

I only see Recently added though, even though I did check 'both' in PlexXBMC settings -> Look and Feel -> Shelf Items.

I also noticed the Recently Added items are not specific per section I have added.  I have 4 TV sections (kids, kids-retro, tv shows and tv retro.  They are the same for each section.  Same for movies.

Could be this is by design?  

Still I'm happy since this home page looks nicer now.

Nice.

I am wondering why I am not getting any ondeck, etc on home screen though.  Could it be that my local plex server 'Requires authentication on local networks' and uses myplex to authenticate?

I did uninstall your skin and add the git master as well as uninstall the original PleXBMC and installed the one above.

EDIT.  Looks like it may be working; guess I had to get a copy of your master amber again; the previous one I has was a few hours old.

Way to go!! awesome!

EDIT2.  

I only see Recently added though, even though I did check 'both' in PlexXBMC settings -> Look and Feel -> Shelf Items.

I also noticed the Recently Added items are not specific per section I have added.  I have 4 TV sections (kids, kids-retro, tv shows and tv retro.  They are the same for each section.  Same for movies.

Could be this is by design?  

Still I'm happy since this home page looks nicer now.

If you're running latest Amber with latest KodeStar plexbmc code and you have enabled "both" recent and ondeck shelf in plexbmc settings you should be all set.

Take a look at yours /library/onDeck/ section in a browser and we should know then how many items and of what type are available for the shelf.

Mixed items on shelf are something that we discussed in recent posts. Python and skin improvements are needed and you should be fluent in both, IIRC? If so, then the only thing remaining is will to help :)

I've never used Git (only ever used subversion) so I have messaged zeflash asking whether he would consider porting the changes back into his version, but he hasn't been on since the 9th so not sure if we will get an answer.

Alternatively does anyone else know how to use Git and could give me a quick how to on basically forking zeflashes version, making my changes and then requesting they be added?

There is now a Git repo

https://github.com/KodeStar/plugin.video.plexbmc

I will try requesting a pull from zeflash (I think thats the right terminology)

*edit*

Pull request done

I've never used Git (only ever used subversion) so I have messaged zeflash asking whether he would consider porting the changes back into his version, but he hasn't been on since the 9th so not sure if we will get an answer.

Alternatively does anyone else know how to use Git and could give me a quick how to on basically forking zeflashes version, making my changes and then requesting they be added?

sorry sorry! swamped with work here :)

Forking on github is easy - you just need an account, and then when going on my plexbmc fork, you fork from there - and you have your own plexbmc repo. In which you can add / change things, do merge request so that I can integrate back your changes. It all depends who wants to take care of the whole maintaining work. I'm willing to do it, but I might not be as reactive as other people ;)

Edit:

I just saw a pull request from you so I guess you figured it out, cool!

Edit2:

I've merged your changes back in my branch.

Great stuff zeflash.

Does anyone know what's actually happened to hippojay, there are 3 pull requests outstanding on the main repo.

It might be worth trying to get in touch with wezhunter as well, see what he thinks?

:) I'm here just been hectic recently. I made some quite extensive changes to PleXBMC to support the new universal transcoder and Timeline status API in PMS. Been using it on 10 devices for 4 months, with both transcoding on and off, zero problems so far.

It also now has a dynamic transcode option depending on the media bitrate, only transcodes media when the average bitrate is above a set value - for those pesky slow internet connections. Would love to extend it further by adding device profile support/detection for unplayable formats on the client but that might be impossible due to xbmc not presenting much.

I will try and fix my git repo this week and push my latest changes. At least they can then be merged with any work anyone else does.

Oh one last thing: also HTTPS (SSL) support is fully implemented, if PMS server version is > 0.9.8.0 then it supports HTTPS on port 32443.

I know what KodeStar has done, which is great...appreciated and thank Peckino for pulling that together so quickly...however what has Zeflash done? So great to see new stuff happening in PleXBMC....

I know what KodeStar has done, which is great...appreciated and thank Peckino for pulling that together so quickly...however what has Zeflash done? So great to see new stuff happening in PleXBMC....

Zeflash did some fixes in the background such as fixing playing items from the shelf as well as some other bugfixes so I used his fork as my basis http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/27270-plexbmc-client-for-xbmc/page-84#entry472924

:) I'm here just been hectic recently. I made some quite extensive changes to PleXBMC to support the new universal transcoder and Timeline status API in PMS. Been using it on 10 devices for 4 months, with both transcoding on and off, zero problems so far.

It also now has a dynamic transcode option depending on the media bitrate, only transcodes media when the average bitrate is above a set value - for those pesky slow internet connections. Would love to extend it further by adding device profile support/detection for unplayable formats on the client but that might be impossible due to xbmc not presenting much.

I will try and fix my git repo this week and push my latest changes. At least they can then be merged with any work anyone else does.

Oh one last thing: also HTTPS (SSL) support is fully implemented, if PMS server version is > 0.9.8.0 then it supports HTTPS on port 32443.

Good to see you wezhunter.

If your changes are so extensive do you think it would be easier to try and merge what we have done into your fork?

Zeflash did some fixes in the background such as fixing playing items from the shelf as well as some other bugfixes so I used his fork as my basis http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/27270-plexbmc-client-for-xbmc/page-84#entry472924

Good to see you wezhunter.

If your changes are so extensive do you think it would be easier to try and merge what we have done into your fork?

Sure I will certainly try and see if there are any conflicting changes but will be completely time dependent on my side, have very little free time at the moment. Will keep you posted anyway.

Thanks for that, your changes certainly sound interesting so would be nice to get them all working nicely together.

 Would love to extend it further by adding device profile support/detection for unplayable formats on the client but that might be impossible due to xbmc not presenting much.

Hmmm.. Am I missing something? Every XBMC client can play everything normal HTPC can. What would client profiles help with on XBMC clients?

I assume he means for things like the pi, if you don't have the mpeg2 codec transcode it instead.

Thanks for that, your changes certainly sound interesting so would be nice to get them all working nicely together.

One place to merge all changes would definitely be welcomed. And I would suggest moving to Amber if you are using Quartz ATM. I'm not able to support both and HippoJay is obviously too busy as well. 

Otherwise, we may end up with different skins and version of them coupled with various plexbmc branches that will be difficult to support and troubleshoot. Eventually, plexbmc will die.

Just my 2 cents.

@KodeStar

Mate, are you willing to go a step further with your changes? My idea is to fetch and populate librarySectionUUID for both main menu and shelf. This will allow me to filter out items a present on shelf only those items that match with main menu librarySectionUUID.

We would also need to make sure we are fetching all available items - my recently added contains 50 items ATM. I will increase it in skin from current 20 to 50 so we make sure there are enough items to filter.

Makes sense? I'll elaborate further if needed.

I'm happy to help in any way I can :)

Populating the librarySectionUUID for the shelf isn't an issue, it's just another variable to populate.

I'm not 100% sure what the main menu is though?

If you want to talk about this in real time, my gchat is my username here (at) gmail.com

I'm happy to help in any way I can :)

Populating the librarySectionUUID for the shelf isn't an issue, it's just another variable to populate.

I'm not 100% sure what the main menu is though?

If you want to talk about this in real time, my gchat is my username here (at) gmail.com

Great!

Main menu items are e.g.

Window(Home).Property(plexbmc.foo.title)
Window(Home).Property(plexbmc.foo.subtitle)
Window(Home).Property(plexbmc.foo.path)
Window(Home).Property(plexbmc.foo.sectionID)  - what wee need to add

while recent/ondeck shelf feature items like

Window(Home).Property(Plexbmc.OnDeckEpisode.foo.ShowTitle)
Window(Home).Property(Plexbmc.OnDeckEpisode.foo.Thumb)
Window(Home).Property(Plexbmc.OnDeckEpisode.foo.Path)
Window(Home).Property(Plexbmc.OnDeckEpisode.foo.sectionID) - what we need to add for both OnDeck and Recent

I can then compare properties for main menu and shelf and show only those that match.

Makes sense?

Can you get me the output from /library/sections ? (not at home at the moment)

And the output from something that is in that section would be helpful as well.

It seems from a quick look that where the main sections are set librarySectionUUID isn't being passed, but it might be under a different name, or if not shouldn't be a problem to add it.

Can you get me the output from /library/sections ? (not at home at the moment)

And the output from something that is in that section would be helpful as well.

It seems from a quick look that where the main sections are set librarySectionUUID isn't being passed, but it might be under a different name, or if not shouldn't be a problem to add it.

librarySectionUUID

is not set at all ATM (or maybe it is for shelf items now if you used HJ widgets branch, haven't looked at the code yet). That's the reason we are seeing mixed items on a shelf. ATM, I can only check the type of main menu item (library section) in order to separate/filter only movie or tv show items on a shelf. If you have more than 1 movie section (Movies, Movies 3D, Documentaries) all shelf items will be mixed because we are lacking UUID in both Main menu and shelf thus I'm not being able to differentiate items ATM.

Yeah, what I meant was can you paste the output from http://ip_address:port/library/sections

In my code I have added librarySectionUUID for OnDeckEpisode and LatestEpisode, I just need to know what the above outputs as that is what is used to set things like the section title