PMPHelper.exe causing high ping, timeout, packet loss with Plex Media Player for Windows - see Video

plex-media-player

Plex Media Player for Windows 2.7.0.806-608417d4 (on my Lenovo Y520 Notebook with good wireless connection and no extra Firewall or Antivirus just the Windows 10 default)
Plex Media Server for Windows 1.12.1.4885 (on a second PC on the local network)

As the title says I always get ping timeouts when starting Plex Media Player for Windows.

Ping Timeouts

Everything works fine over my wireless connection till the PlexMediaPlayer.exe and/or the PMPHelper.exe is running.

See the video of the problem I recorded:
Plex PMPHelper.exe causing packet loss and/or high ping

Quickly see the problem and solution by closing the PMPHelper.exe at 4Min 12Sec in the video.

Update 1: I shut down the Plex Server and only started the Plex Media Player for Windows and the problem is still there, so it has nothing to do with the server.

Update 2: I updated (autoupdate) to Plex Media Player for Windows Version 3.44.1 and the problem is still there.

I am experiencing similar packet loss. When Plex server is running on my dedicated server it causes packet loss to numerous network devices and computers. As soon as I stop the Plex Media Server process all packet loss stops. Is this a bug that needs to be fixed or is there a new setting that could be causing this?

I have a friend on windows 7 that is experiencing this same issue. Only seems to happen with Plex media player and not the web app or other devices on his network. He experiences high packet loss until restart consistently after launching Plex media player. I haven’t had this problem on windows 10, Ubuntu, OS X or other os’s.

Problem still there. Nobody any idea? Help would be nice :smile:

I am still having this problem and have not found any resolution yet. Was really hoping that someone from the Plex team would respond here as this has been ongoing for some time and updates have not resolved. Since my last post I have removed and re-installed Plex. I am running this on Windows Server 2016 if that makes any difference. I have a friend that is also having the same issue running Plex Server on Windows 10. Honestly this is causing network wide connectivity issues and not just affecting the Plex functionality. To work around the issue I have to manually stop and start Plex on my server when I want to watch a show, if I do not my entire home network is unusable. If I cannot find a solution soon I will be abandoning Plex as this is just too frustrating.

@dgranlin said:
I am still having this problem and have not found any resolution yet. Was really hoping that someone from the Plex team would respond here as this has been ongoing for some time and updates have not resolved. Since my last post I have removed and re-installed Plex. I am running this on Windows Server 2016 if that makes any difference. I have a friend that is also having the same issue running Plex Server on Windows 10. Honestly this is causing network wide connectivity issues and not just affecting the Plex functionality. To work around the issue I have to manually stop and start Plex on my server when I want to watch a show, if I do not my entire home network is unusable. If I cannot find a solution soon I will be abandoning Plex as this is just too frustrating.

seems like you dont have the same issue as the original post, he is saying there is a issue with PMP, you are saying you have a issue with PMS, this is the sub-forum for PMP

you should post in the correct forum, with logs etc

@apalgen said:

Update 1: I shut down the Plex Server and only started the Plex Media Player for Windows and the problem is still there, so it has nothing to do with the server.

Update 2: I updated (autoupdate) to Plex Media Player for Windows Version 3.44.1 and the problem is still there.

Have you removed the Lenovo Access Connection software (its crap) and updated the NIC drivers on this machine?

in the logs it says it cannot connect to one of your plex servers
2018-04-03 20:04:08 [ INFO ] JS: %c[Connections] All connections to Holocron failed

maybe you could post more logs, from a current version of PMP?