PMS auto-update shouldn't require admin password

server-mac

#1

Once of the features mentioned in 0.9.11.4 (correct me if I'm wrong) was the PMS could now auto-update.  I logged onto the web app today and say that there was an update so I clicked update, however...

 

 - It's not really an auto-update if I have to check if there's an update then click a button.  I'd expect that an auto update just updates automatically.  Am I missing a setting here, or is this feature missing?

 

 - The update requires an admin password.  This is a serious no-no for me when I install any software on OSX.  I had to manually download 0.9.11.5 and install it manually.  Doing it this way did not require a password.

 

The first point is a preference, but the second point is extremely important. PMS is a good mac citizen, but strange that the auto-update is not.

 

Any chance this could be fixed please?


#2

We'll look into it!

(And it can't completely automatically update because it needs to restart and apply the update, c.f. Chrome)


#3

Any news?
The requirement of the admin pass, prevents me from updating from the Web Gui. I still have to log on to the Mac remotely


#4

Bumping this as searching I have not found anything. I would like to have Plex update without password requirement. I realize this is likely an Apple requirement.

The auto update will trigger but I always have to access my machine running PMS and enter my admin password to allow.

Is there a way around this?


#5

@mplante said:
Bumping this as searching I have not found anything. I would like to have Plex update without password requirement. I realize this is likely an Apple requirement.

The auto update will trigger but I always have to access my machine running PMS and enter my admin password to allow.

Is there a way around this?

With User accounts are you in the Admin account, also look at your Security and Privacy preferences. This will be different in versions of MacOS


#6

Just checking if there is any way around this? I also run a ‘headless’ mac mini on the network that I have to remote into and type my admin password every time there is a server update. This prevents me from updating through a streaming device or the web interface on another machine. Thank you!


#7

I’m also looking for a solution, to not have to connect with the MacOS (El Capitan) just to enter a password… extra enjoying when it performs auto update during the night and is “locked” and waiting for a password to continue with/finish the update.

Isn’t there som file/folder we can just grant access to, so that it doesn’t need to re-authenticate every time?


#8

This is my number one frustration with plex at the moment.
I want to autoupdate, but every time I have to manually enter the admin password.

And It’s especially frustrating when I’m away and the updater runs, can’t continue due to password, and the plex server is then kept offline until I can get to it,


#9

@Karbonara said:
This is my number one frustration with plex at the moment.
I want to autoupdate, but every time I have to manually enter the admin password.

And It’s especially frustrating when I’m away and the updater runs, can’t continue due to password, and the plex server is then kept offline until I can get to it,

Are you talking about MacOS admin password


#10

Auto-updating a Plex servers seems like bad practice anyway. I always download the new version from the website, update and then archive the download. That way if I have to move back a version or two, I have the archived downloads to use.


#11

@ChrisAWallace said:
Auto-updating a Plex servers seems like bad practice anyway. I always download the new version from the website, update and then archive the download. That way if I have to move back a version or two, I have the archived downloads to use.

I’m not sure but he maybe not logged in as admin but a user without administration rights. Totally agree about Auto update.

It’s best to keep some historical installers as most have experienced over time.


#12

@SE56 said:

@Karbonara said:
This is my number one frustration with plex at the moment.
I want to autoupdate, but every time I have to manually enter the admin password.

And It’s especially frustrating when I’m away and the updater runs, can’t continue due to password, and the plex server is then kept offline until I can get to it,

Are you talking about MacOS admin password

Yes, this drives me crazy, any way to fix/resolve this?


#13

This is driving me crazy too, it’s made even more annoying by the Apple TV version offering upgrade options every time a new upgrade releases if you don’t have auto update on.


#14

Same issue. Running this headless and always have to remote in and enter password. My wife/kids usually say “It’s not working again…”