Requests and Issues

plugin-dev

After spending a fair amount of time I have a handful of requests/issues for the Plex developers. None of these are serious complains, just minor little things that could make life better with a bit of information or a small code change. Considering how new PMS is I'm very very happy with it.

Access to all views.

I would very very much like to be able to use the "wide" view in MediaStream by default in a few spots in my plugin. Is this possible?

Refresh.

It would be very useful to be able to specify that a list should be refreshed after x seconds. This would also require that the currently selected item is not changed after the refresh, because changing that would be rather jarring for the user. This would allow you to keep the Transmission plugin open with a download selected and see details change every 30 seconds or so. It would also allow me to insert newly finished recordings into a list in iDVR without requiring the user to leave that menu and come back.

Extra details for list items.

In some cases I'd like to be able to include more visual things. I realize that this would require skin changes so it is less likely, but it would be nice to be able to show a progress bar with each item.

Images in a PMS plugin.

I am looking into the option of generating an icon for each torrent in Transmission that shows a progress bar (as an alternative to the previous request). I would need to store these on the local disc of the PMS machine, and provide a URL for each when building the list, but I can't figure out how to tell PMS to expose a local file... Do I need to handle the URL myself and then send the actual image data just like most requests send an XML document? I can do this, but wanted to be sure this was the proper method. At some point I'll be doing the same thing for actual video data as well.

Hey! First of all, thanks for your great work on the Transmission plugin :) I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but we'll soon be launching a new version of the plug-in framework which should make development even faster & easier. Now is the perfect time to raise any issues you have, as we may be able to incorporate requests into the v1 framework.

[quote name='minego' post='31451' date='Mar 31 2009, 06:02 PM']
Access to all views.

I would very very much like to be able to use the "wide" view in MediaStream by default in a few spots in my plugin. Is this possible?

[/quote]

This is an XBMC GUI issue - certain views are only accessible in certain contexts (music, video, TV, movie, etc.). This is definitely something we want to address in the future.

Refresh.

It would be very useful to be able to specify that a list should be refreshed after x seconds. This would also require that the currently selected item is not changed after the refresh, because changing that would be rather jarring for the user. This would allow you to keep the Transmission plugin open with a download selected and see details change every 30 seconds or so. It would also allow me to insert newly finished recordings into a list in iDVR without requiring the user to leave that menu and come back.

[/quote]

Agreed - this would be very useful. I'll discuss it with the other devs & see how easy it'd be to implement.

Extra details for list items.

In some cases I'd like to be able to include more visual things. I realize that this would require skin changes so it is less likely, but it would be nice to be able to show a progress bar with each item.

[/quote]

This one would probably require much more than a skin change. I'll talk it over with the team, but it's probably quite unlikely we'll be able to add this one soon.

Images in a PMS plugin.

I am looking into the option of generating an icon for each torrent in Transmission that shows a progress bar (as an alternative to the previous request). I would need to store these on the local disc of the PMS machine, and provide a URL for each when building the list, but I can't figure out how to tell PMS to expose a local file... Do I need to handle the URL myself and then send the actual image data just like most requests send an XML document? I can do this, but wanted to be sure this was the proper method. At some point I'll be doing the same thing for actual video data as well.

[/quote]

I'm not quite sure what you mean here - do you want to generate the images within the plug-in, or just serve images from the plug-in's Resources directory? If it's the latter, it's easy - just use the _R() shorthand function the same way as you would for thumbnails (it automatically exposes the resource and returns a HTTP-accessible path). This is used in pretty much all the plug-ins so far.

If you're wanting to actually generate image files on the fly, this isn't supported yet. We're looking in to incorporating PIL into the framework, but it won't be available until at least v1.1 or 1.2.

As an aside, for video data (or any files outside the plug-in's bundle or framework-provided Data directory) it'd be best to just pass the path to the video back to Plex. In v1, we're moving away from providing direct access to the local filesystem, and eventually want to sandbox each plug-in to prevent the possibility of malicious plug-ins damaging the user's system.

oops - miss post.