Running out of storage. Can I use two portable hard drives and assign the same drive letter?

server-seagate

Greetings! I have a seagate 8TB portable hard drive. With tons of tv, some music, and 1300 movies, I am running out of storage. Can I buy a second 8tb hard drive and just assign the same letter? Or, if I choose to name it another drive letter, can Plex recognize two different hard drives? Thanks in advance. :)

Plex doesn’t care where the media is stored. When you create the library, you tell it where to look. If you add another storage location, add that to a Library section, move media from one drive to another, PMS won’t care.

The full procedure is here. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201154537-Move-Media-Content-to-a-New-Location

Goodness, Chuck. Thank you for such a fast reply. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I probably did not explain my issue correctly. ( I do understand the instructions you gave and I have followed them when I previously upgraded my portable hard drive to increase its size.) My issue is that I want to have TWO different hard drives at the same time… each at 8TB. I have nearly filled up one 8TB hard drive and I want to keep that media on my first hard drive and ADD ANOTHER 8TB hard drive… so that I have a total of 16TB, not 8TB. I don’t want to replace one 8TB hard drive with another 8TB hard drive.

I would like to use TWO different 8TB hard drives for a total of 16TB for my server. (The reason for two is that I already have one 8TB hard drive and to add another, that would costs under $200. To buy a single hard drive with 16TB would set me back a whopping $500.)

So, can I have TWO hard drives that share a drive letter? I know it is physically possible, but will PLEX handle that? If I have TWO hard drives each with a different drive letter, will Plex even allow me to do that?

Is there a solution other than having to spend $500??

Thanks again. :wink:

Ah, then I misunderstood your question. You want to know if you can upgrade the internal storage HDs .
As I understand Windows. You install the new HD, format it and assign a drive letter.

As example,

D:\Movies   (the original)
E:\Movies   (the newly created one with a `Movies` directory you just created)

All you need do is Edit your Movies Library section and Add folders. When you Browse for Folders, add E:\Movies to the list. Save the changes
It’s that painless. PMS will do the rest of the scanning automatically. To PMS, it’s a list of media sources. :slight_smile:

Now, you can move things around from D -> E.

Is this what you want to do?

LOL, Chuck. It is me, not you. I “think” understand your answer though… so I am getting closer at being able to articulate myself ;).

1) I want to keep all media I have on D:/. I do not want add anything more to D:/ (because I have run out of room! ;))

2) I then want to add ANOTHER hard drive so that I have more room to add more media. 

Are you saying I can keep all current my media on D:/, then add a folder to my library on D:/ and assign E:/ to that folder?

So, library is assigned to D:/ and then within that library is a new folder that I can assign to my new E:/ drive??

Thank you for your patience. :slight_smile:

Moderator Edit: “Code” paragraph formatting fixes many evils >:)

drat! All those frowny faces are D drive.

I am saying:

1. After you add the next drive (E:\)
  2. Create a Movies directory on it (or whatever you need)
  3. Edit the appropriate Library section and tell PMS to look in E:\Movies too for movies
  4. You can move stuff OFF D:\Movies and over to E:\Movies

PMS won’t care. Just remember to Update Libraries after you’ve done everything and it hasn’t been following along (Automatically update my library as changes are detected in Settings - Server - Library)

Thank you, Chuck. I appreciate all your help. I think I understand what you are saying. I will play around with that a bit later to see if it will work for my needs. :slight_smile:

You just plug in the NEW drive give it a letter then goto Plex as you did originally and add the new drive.

So now in Plex you will have it pointing to e.g. d:\movies AND E:\movies ?

does that make sense?

YESSSS!!! Thank you, Chuck and spikemixture. I tested out what you both wrote and it works. Thank you for saving me $$$. :slight_smile:

Do you need the drives to be cloud drives? I have one Seagate cloud drive which runs plex amazingly well. I’m looking at getting a second and splitting my library. Just wondering if it matters what kind of second network drive I get. Thanks

@tshaftoe83 said:
Do you need the drives to be cloud drives? I have one Seagate cloud drive which runs plex amazingly well. I’m looking at getting a second and splitting my library. Just wondering if it matters what kind of second network drive I get. Thanks

In short no it does not matter.